Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
QR1: L. Lokoli def. L. Grigelis 7-5 7-5
QR2: L. Lokoli def. E. Donskoy 3-6 7-6(1) 6-2 [saved 3 MP]
QR3: L. Lokoli def. F. Krajinovic 7-5 7-6(4)

This guy improves really fast. He made the most of his QWC.
Last year he was playing mainly futures and he never won a challenger title (best result SF in Meknes CH - L to Reuter Y.)
Hope he gets a kind draw in R1. We need a new Tsonga or Monfils. :worship:

Birth place: Bastia, Corsica
Coach Name:Neust Lasserre, Faurel, Poublet
Favourite Surface:Clay
Personal Interests:
Hobbies: Football, dance and cinema
Juniors: Career High Combined 21 (09/07/2012)
2010 Orange Bowl champion U16

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2014-05-20/201405201400607750720.html?promo=menu_news
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
By V. Bury

19-year-old Frenchman Laurent Lokoli, ranked No.402 in the world, certainly made the most of his wild card, winning his first ever match at Roland Garros by defeating Lithuanian Laurynas Grigelis 7-5, 7-5. The Corsican former French 15-16-year-old champion already has his eye on bigger things.

Is this win the biggest of your career to date?

It's true that it's always good to win a match that really means something, and particularly one like this. I was under quite a bit of pressure. This is my first Grand Slam tournament on the pro circuit and I've been given a wild card, so I'm obviously keen to do well. It's not always easy to play in circumstances like those, but I stepped up to the plate and played a good match today (Tuesday) against a tough opponent. I served really well and that meant that I could play an attacking brand of tennis. I went out there looking for the win and I think that I earned it.

What happens next?
I'm playing Russia's Evgeny Donskoy (No.3 seed) in the second round of qualifying. I don't know him at all so I have no idea how he plays or what kind of style he has. We'll see. It's two days away (on Thursday), so I'll have the time to prepare properly. I think that it should be an interesting match because he's a good player. I hope that I'll be able to play the way I want to and then what will be, will be.

What are you ambitions as far as this tournament is concerned?

When you get a wild card, you obviously want to show that you deserve it and to go as far as possible to show that maybe you're worth more than just a wild card into the qualifiers. I'd like to thank the French Tennis Federation and the tournament for giving me this opportunity – it proves that they have confidence in me. Now it's up to me to prove that they did the right thing by going as far as possible. I'd love to get into the main draw but there's a long way still to go – two more matches. So for the moment let's just concentrate on the next round.

lequipe.fr - «Je ne pensais jamais m’en sortir de ce match (7-5, 7-6 [4] contre le Serbe Filip Krajinovic, ndlr). Quand j’ai des crampes aux quadriceps (au milieu du deuxième set), là, je me suis souvenu. Souvenu de tous ces matches perdus que j’ai regrettés. Je ne voulais pas rentrer dans ma chambre avec ces regrets là… Je me suis accroché, je suis allé chercher ma qualif, j’ai attaqué, je me suis fait passer. C'est énorme ! Première fois que je joue ici et première qualif !"»

Also - France 3 reportage http://corse.france3.fr/2014/05/23/laurent-lokoli-toujours-dans-la-course-pour-roland-garros-483455.html

That celebration after defeating Krajinovic:worship:

Lokoli def. Serra 6-4 1-6 6-3 (CH Meknes 2013)

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Congrats, we gonna see what he can do in the main draw

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
I appreciate he was excited about winning but he could have waited until he shook his opponent's hand before celebrating like that. Losing is never easy and your beaten opponent shouldn't have to walk round the net to congratulate you.

Anyway he has had a great run here and I hope he does well. France needs some new top players.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
I get it that he's happy with the win but... what the fuck that celebration

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
I appreciate he was excited about winning but he could have waited until he shook his opponent's hand before celebrating like that. Losing is never easy and your beaten opponent shouldn't have to walk round the net to congratulate you.

Anyway he has had a great run here and I hope he does well. France needs some new top players.
agree with everything here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a lot of affection for this player and his family after all what happens (first his sister, then his brother-in-law Yves Niaré French recordman of weight throw died in car crashs). He's physically better than Tsonga or Monfils and all of this make him so much stronger.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
I have been following his results and watched a couple of matches from him. The guy is terrible. Maxime Teixeira was routining him him even playing average.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
well done, i hope he gets Brands in first round, would have chances and might set up a nice second round.

He's 19, he made his first breakthrough (kinda), his first solid buck, it's normal he goes wild at celebrating. It's the kind of joy you guys would hardly understand, so enjoy his tennis and don't be a nagging granny :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My point exactly. I thought that in France skin colour mattered little?
Latent racism is obvious, indeed.
Excuse me for digressing, but I mean, how dare those evil French people not fall for our scheme to cash on the popularity of a sportsman, right? That's why you need violent social engineering, and the media helps doing that by pushing the benefits of 'multiculturalism' and 'diversified society'.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts