Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Big 3 have won 13 successive grand slams, but out of this baker's dozen, how many times has the winner faced a tough opponent in both the semis and the final?

By my reckoning, twice only:

1) Fed at AO 2017 (Stan and Rafa)
2) Rafa at RG 2019 (Fed and Domi)

Of course, the wind spoiled the latter stages of RG 2019 in a way that clearly favoured Rafa, but it fulfills the criteria nonetheless.

I've discounted FO 2017, because Dominic was not yet a serious competitor at the time.
I've also discounted FO 2018, because Delpo does not have much clay pedigree.

The big dividing line between 2016 and 2017 is of course Andy Murray, and his absence has lowered the overall quality of the tour.

Also, by my reckoning, Novak's last win against two tough SF/F opponents was AO '16 (Fed/Murray).

Obviously, this confirms most people's subjective impressions: there have been a lot of one-sided semis and finals over this period. But 2 out of 13 is a little shocking nonetheless.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Nadal's RG'19 can't be compared with Federer's AO'17, it was not just about the strong wind but also about dead tired Thiem by the third set (because of his three consecutive days of playing) and Federer's old OHBH which he was saving for the Wimb.

Semi vs fresh Thiem and final vs Djokovic would've been a tough SF/F combo because, unlike Federer, Thiem was ready to die there on the RG centre court instead of thinking about Wimb grass.

·
justice for all
15,198 Posts
Nadal's RG'19 can't be compared with Federer's AO'17, it was not just about the strong wind but also about dead tired Thiem by the third set (because of his three consecutive days of play) and Federer's old OHBH which he was saving for the Wimb.
In fact it was four consecutive days of play by Dominic.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Rafa at RG 2019 (Fed and Domi) = tough
Nole at AO 2020 (Fed and Domi) = not tough
...any problem cannot be found

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nadal's RG'19 can't be compared with Federer's AO'17, it was not just about the strong wind but also about dead tired Thiem by the third set (because of his three consecutive days of playing) and Federer's old OHBH which he was saving for the Wimb.

Semi vs fresh Thiem and final vs Djokovic would've been a tough SF/F combo because, unlike Federer, Thiem was ready to die there on the RG centre court instead of thinking about Wimb grass.
You make a good case. That would leave us with 1 out of 13.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rafa at RG 2019 (Fed and Domi) = tough
Nole at AO 2020 (Fed and Domi) = not tough
...any problem cannot be found
Sometimes things are so obvious you assume that they don't need explaining, but here goes anyway.

I've put it in block capitals, just to be perfectly explicit.

FEDERER WAS INJURED AT THE AO THIS YEAR.

HE WAS NOT INJURED AT RG '19.

THAT IS THE STAGGERINGLY OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE TO ANYONE WITH A FUNCTIONING SHORT-TERM MEMORY.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thiem was very tired against Nadal last year. Thiem was in form against Nole in the AO Final.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Sometimes things are so obvious you assume that they don't need explaining, but here goes anyway.

I've put it in block capitals, just to be perfectly explicit.

FEDERER WAS INJURED AT THE AO THIS YEAR.

HE WAS NOT INJURED AT RG '19.

THAT IS THE STAGGERINGLY OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE TO ANYONE WITH A FUNCTIONING SHORT-TERM MEMORY.
LoL what an utter Fedolatric BS.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LoL what an utter Fedolatric BS.
Just so we're clear, what is the point that you're making:

a) That Federer wasn't injured?
b) That playing an injured opponent nevertheless can be considered a tough SF?

It has to be one of those two arguments. Both are equally dumb, but it would be interesting to know which idiotic position you are defending?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Extreme Fedolatry is a very dangerous thing, I hope you get to pull out some day.
Just stay on topic.

But I've noted your objection:

According to you, AO '20 should count, because Federer was faking an injury.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts