Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that Rafa was the slight betting underdog about Medvedev pre-match (1.82 vs. 2.04 according to Tennis Explorer). Can anyone remember the last time Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer was the betting underdog in a match against someone other than another big-3 member? My guess would be at some point against Murray, maybe Djokovic-Murray YEC 2016?

Edit: I see that Murray was the underdog against Djokovic in that match, 2.63 vs 1.50.

Reactions: Maranza

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I noticed today that Rafa was the slight betting underdog about Medvedev pre-match (1.82 vs. 2.04 according to Tennis Explorer). Can anyone remember the last time Nadal, Djokovic, or Federer was the betting underdog in a match against someone other than another big-3 member? My guess would be at some point against Murray, maybe Djokovic-Murray YEC 2016?

Edit: I see that Murray was the underdog against Djokovic in that match, 2.63 vs 1.50.
Probably some big title match when Rogie was match point up serving 40-15

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in your post does it preface that, you incredible stork?
Well I literally introduce the question with the pre-match odds from today. Regardless, this topic is about big-3 members being underdogs against non-big-3 opponents. Federer-Djokovic matches do not apply.

Reactions: hecto and Maranza

·
6,504 Posts
Well I literally introduce the question with the pre-match odds from today. Regardless, this topic is about big-3 members being underdogs against non-big-3 opponents. Federer-Djokovic matches do not apply.
I'm surprised such an educated man, like @Darth Vaderer , does not get that.
But on topic, maybe the 2016 USO final?
Nole scraped in on retirements and poor form.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good guess, but Wawrinka was an underdog, 3.29 to 1.35 according to Tennis Explorer.

·
Registered
11,330 Posts
Nadal was the underdog against Medvedev in 2019 as well, ATP Finals.
Federer was the underdog against Tsitsipas in Rome 2019, match didn't take place though. But that's because Roger barely beat Coric and looked tired.
Thiem was a 1.4 favourite against Federer in Madrid 2019.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Before the semis I didn't think any of the Big3 guys was the favourite (slightly favouring Thiem and 50-50 in Nadal-Meddy match) and it must have been the first time ever I thought that way.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Federer against Thiem Madrid 2019

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Thiem is now the favourite against Nadal, Djokovic and Federer.
He won the majority of the last 5 matches against each of them.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Truly been a while since Djokovic entered a match as an underdog against non-3 member. 2017 Doha against Murray comes to mind but very little other than that.

As for Nadal there could be a few. Medvedev twice now. Nishikori (Montreal 2015 and 2016 Indian Wells), Murray (Miami 2012 and WTF 2015). Tsonga WTF 2011 maybe?

Federer against del Potro and Murray few times.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Federer against del Potro and Murray few times.
I think Del Potro Federer IW2018 was very tight.
Del Potro was on an impressive streak since Acapulco (beats Thiem, Zverev, Anderson in 2) and until the final at IW vs Raonic in 1/2 (6-2, 6-3)

Federer had a less brilliant course already in Rotterdam (loses 1 set vs Haase) despite the title and the oldest one, but especially at IW 1/2 vs Coric.

Maybe also 1/4 US 2017, with Fed injury in final Montreal, withdraw Cinci and 5 sets vs Youzhny and Tiafoe ..

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think Del Potro Federer IW2018 was very tight.
Del Potro was on an impressive streak since Acapulco (beats Thiem, Zverev, Anderson in 2) and until the final at IW vs Raonic in 1/2 (6-2, 6-3)

Federer had a less brilliant course already in Rotterdam (loses 1 set vs Haase) despite the title and the oldest one, but especially at IW 1/2 vs Coric.

Maybe also 1/4 US 2017, with Fed injury in final Montreal, withdraw Cinci and 5 sets vs Youzhny and Tiafoe ..
Federer entered both those matches (2017 USO and 2018 IW) as a big favourite. Much bigger than he usually is against del Potro.

It was back in 2013 when del Potro could be seen as a favourite. Never after that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Federer entered both those matches (2017 USO and 2018 IW) as a big favourite. Much bigger than he usually is against del Potro.
I was looking for archived bets but not found.

Well, it shows that a lot of punters weren't keeping up with recent past events or during this tournament Federer inspires too much confidence, despite his current issues.

But it must be said that by having won the 2 previous slams (AO before IW 18 and Wimb before US 17), this can force beyond reality .. not to mention the bets of the "heart" :)

·
Registered
17,308 Posts
You don't actually think Wawrinka was the favorite against Djokovic who won 2 slams on the season, the previous Masters, where as Stan had a shit year and was down MP against Evans?

Lolol

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Must be a long time ago when Djokovic last time was not the pre-match favourite against a non big 3 player. Maybe against Thiem, Monte Carlo 2018. At least that would have made sense as he was in a slump and came from losing against Chung, Paire and Daniel in his last three tournaments and Thiem was already known as a strong clay courter. Otherwise, likely never in the last decade. I browsed back through his matches, and without searching for any odds, my guess would be against Fernando Gonzalez, Madrid 2006, or maybe against Tommy Robredo in Rotterdam 2007. At least these two were ranked ahead of him. Murray also played a few matches against Djokovic where his ranking was higher, but I would guess the bookies always favoured Djokovic in these.
For the other two, the question has been answered above.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts