12,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2019 ATP Tour had 66 tournaments:
  • 4 Grand Slams
  • 9 ATP Tour Masters 1000
  • 13 ATP Tour 500
  • 39 ATP Tour 250
  • 1 ATP Finals
Further, I will list each shot, associated with the number of tournaments that ended with that shot.
Code:
*Ace - 7
**Service winner - 10
***Double fault - 1 
Forehand winner - 11
Forehand unforced error - 13
Forehand forced error - 4
****Backhand winner - 2
Backhand unforced error - 6
Backhand forced error - 4
Volley winner - 3
Volley error - 5

Total - 66
*Medvedev won 4 tournaments, 3 of them ended with an ace.
**Every serve that was not returned, excluding aces, was considered a service winner even if some of them could be categorized as either forced or unforced errors.
***The only double fault that ended a tournament was made by Daniel Evans against Radu Albot.
***Both backhand winners were also cross-court passing shots. (Kei Nishikori and Pablo Carreno Busta)

A narrower list would look like this:
Code:
Serve - 18
Forehand - 28
Backhand - 12
Volley - 8

Total - 66
What caught my eye is the big number on the forehand side, is that unusual or rather normal, considering that the forehand is the most played shot?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I'm surprised only one ended with a Df. and the one didn't even have FAA, Shapo or Zverev.

Impressive effort in compiling this list though.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
So if my maths is correct, of the 66 converted championship points, 33 were won by the champion and 33 were lost by the runner-up. Thats a pretty cool stat as well.

To be honest there is not too many great points in there, having just watched the video! A few were nice, as cmchelsea said there was Thiem/Diego in Vienna, I also thought Djokovic won Madrid and Paris with some very effective plays. Monfils in Rotterdam against Wawrinka was nice. Quite a lot of errors but also some very good serving under pressure. A mixture of quality and styles, as you would expect.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
What caught my eye is the big number on the forehand side, is that unusual or rather normal, considering that the forehand is the most played shot?
I'd say it's totally normal. Forehand is the most played and the most important shot. And it's the dominant wing of most players. In the last decade Djokorray and Wawrinka gave us this illusion of dominant BH era, but they too have a well above average forehands to support their superior backhands. It's hard to think of a male player with a weak forehand who didn't hit a wall at some point.

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
That video was a fun way to refresh myself on what happened this year. Forgot that Bublik reached two finals. Also great to see so many of the winning moments for the first-time title winners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts