Mens Tennis Forums banner

1701 - 1720 of 1724 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I saw Thor Ragnarok last week. It was alright if you want something to kill time and escape the mundane of life.

There is one thought though. Who would have guessed the god of thunder is vulnerable to electrocution!

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
Murder by Death (1976) - 9/10 - Black comedy with a stellar cast (the Bride of Frankenstein herself Elsa Lanchester, Maggie Smith, Truman Capote, Peter Falk, Alec 'Obi-Wan' Guinness, Eileen Brennan), it makes fun of every single detective cliché you can think of. Extremely funny, smart and subtle humour, the kind you would expect from an old movie. Definitely an underrated gem.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) - 8/10 - A great tribute to the science/monster films of the 50's. It's such a fun movie to watch with someone who can appreciate its references and witty humour. If you know what I'm talking about, this movie has it all. A fair amount of funny one liners, a silly looking monster, the loveable evil douche, a childish bad mouthed skeleton, an alien couple trying to learn human customs, a human couple intentionally played as if they were bad actors and a woman who is actually a mix of four forest animals. Yeah.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
In Bruges - 8/10

In Bruges has one of the best cathartic endings I've seen for a movie.

It was executed in a way that it changes the entire outlook of the movie's first half where the narrative seemed simple at a surface-level. Yet the emotions will certainly run deep upon viewing it on retrospective.

It's deeply admirable that a comedy like this that is often bitingly unapologetic and dark can be fused with the movie's humorous yet tragic examination of a man's inner turmoil, guilt, one's sin and his path to redemption through means of finding his own sanctuary (through ironic terms).

Wind River - 7/10

Jeremy Renner in this movie plays a role similar of Morgan Freeman in Se7en; both have a apathetic sense of understanding of what and where they inhabit that is unpleasant and undesirable.

There are a few human interaction scenes throughout the movie with his character that illustrate this with some excellent dialogue alongside a isolated snowy backdrop. The latter makes this feeling more apparent thanks to its striking cinematography and the movie rewards viewers to look at the movie through this lense. The world-building and atmosphere are almost the main characters itself.

I personally felt the actual crime and mystery was less than compelling and hits all the similar plot beats for its genre that you see in most other movies.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Wind River - 7/10

Jeremy Renner in this movie plays a role similar of Morgan Freeman in Se7en; both have a apathetic sense of understanding of what and where they inhabit that is unpleasant and undesirable.

There are a few human interaction scenes throughout the movie with his character that illustrate this with some excellent dialogue alongside a isolated snowy backdrop. The latter makes this feeling more apparent thanks to its striking cinematography and the movie rewards viewers to look at the movie through this lense. The world-building and atmosphere are almost the main characters itself.

I personally felt the actual crime and mystery was less than compelling and hits all the similar plot beats for its genre that you see in most other movies.
I also watched Wind River a couple days ago and agree with your rating. Well, actually I'd give a 6.5 probably. :p

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Back to Hitchcock, last night watched Strangers on a Train... definitely one of my favourites now; Hitchcock I think created one of the best villains out of his entire canon in this film. Not outwardly scary but has a psychotic edge that always leaves the viewer tense and in suspense!

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Well, already talked about Episode 8 in the specific thread. I'd give a 5.5 at most, didn't like this movie at all. :facepalm:

Also watched Mother! a few weeks ago, with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, kinda crazy, but good one. Giving a 7.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Well, already talked about Episode 8 in the specific thread. I'd give a 5.5 at most, didn't like this movie at all. :facepalm:

Also watched Mother! a few weeks ago, with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, kinda crazy, but good one. Giving a 7.
I heard Mother was quite a terrifying film and not for the faint hearted.

I went and saw The Darkest Hour last Sunday. I thought Gary Oldman did a superb job in portraying Churchill. You get a similar feel to the King’s Speech. The music score is fantastic. All in All an entertaining film. 8/10

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Happy End, in a cinema!. Very depressing French film about a nasty upper class French family. Ironic title refers to ending, where old man tries to commit suicide (in his wheelchair, no less) by rolling into the sea. Fails.
Perhaps Djok can do this to Fed, creating my Happy End .... no subtitles will be necessary.

I can't wait for the Djokerer. PLease, let it happen.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Happy End, in a cinema!. Very depressing French film about a nasty upper class French family. Ironic title refers to ending, where old man tries to commit suicide (in his wheelchair, no less) by rolling into the sea. Fails.
Perhaps Djok can do this to Fed, creating my Happy End .... no subtitles will be necessary.

I can't wait for the Djokerer. PLease, let it happen.
Djokovic pushing Grandpa Fed over the cliff? :lol:... you don’t wish for revenge with another Fedal final with Nadal coming out as the victor and Federer in a walking cane? :lol:

:hug: we all want the best for our fav. We have that in common at least :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Dial M For Murder, Grace Kelly, Ray Milland. A masterpiece of a movie by Alfred Hitchcock.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Djokovic pushing Grandpa Fed over the cliff? :lol:... you don’t wish for revenge with another Fedal final with Nadal coming out as the victor and Federer in a walking cane? :lol:

:hug: we all want the best for our fav. We have that in common at least :)
A hard choice: would I prefer to see Djok reassert himself over Fed first .... Or Rafa face Fed?
It is Fed now in Rafa's head--not Djok as was the case for so long--so Fed actually worries me more for Rafa than Djok (some of Rafa's improvements under Moya will disrupt the previous Djok effect on Rafa's game, I think ...) so I think I'd rather have Djok take care of Fed, in the process diminishing Fed's aura if invincibility; then Rafa stomping out Djok.

Really I just think the Djokerer will be so scintillating.

But really, so exciting to have all three in good health and playing well (it seems so far). They'll be no replacing these three.

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
The Similars (2015) - 9/10 - Quite literally the mexican take on The Twilight Zone. Absolutely entertaining and suspenseful all the way through that won't hesitate to throw unexpected turns constantly. Really well shot movie, in black and white only to use some slight colors here and there with superb use of lightning which reminded me of Night of the Living Dead at times. A must watch if you can appreciate a lovecraft-ish/scifi story with a pinch of humour.

1701 - 1720 of 1724 Posts