Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there ever been a lower ranked 4th round opponent for a number 1 seed? Or for a top 4 player for that matter! I can't think of one off the top of my head. Would appreciate the information.

It's kinda funny that Novak had Tsonga, ranked 14 and Nadal gets a player ranked 83rd. Someone on tennis talk posting the average ranking of the big 4s opponents through the years and Nadal unsurprisingly had the most cushy draws, but I don't remember a player ranked this low being a 4th round opponent for a top seed before. Again, information would be much appreciated :)

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
He is more dangerous than Tsonga. The former is on fire but the latter's game just fades away

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
lol

Lajovic is a quality claycourter, probably in the top 30 for clay on the planet, the fact he has a single handed backhand makes the match a nonevent, we all know Wawrinka is the only dude with a single hander that can stay with Rafa on a tennis court that's slow.

Lajovic's ranking means nothing, as he is up and coming and he'll be top 60 soon.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Frauderer playing against 155 ranked Marcos Baghdatis in the R16 of 2005 AO as 1st seed

"R16 Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) 155 W 6-2, 6-2, 7-6(4)"

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Frauderer playing against 155 ranked Marcos Baghdatis in the R16 of 2005 AO as 1st seed

/thread

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
2011 Wimbledon.
Djokovic faced world 158 in the quarterfinal. That was the first example that comes to mind, but I am sure there are many others. Nothing remarkable here.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Forgot about this. Marcos is actually a good player though, achieved a lot more than Lajovic will.

Any other instances of this or not? Will try and investigate and see if I can find some. I can't think of any from previous eras off the top of my head, so long ago that I watched them. I am getting so old :sad:

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Lajovic is a harder draw that playing a literal fossil whose wheelchair frequently malfunctions on dirt.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts
Djokovic got Tomic in the QF at 2011 wimbledon.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
lol

Lajovic is a quality claycourter, probably in the top 30 for clay on the planet, the fact he has a single handed backhand makes the match a nonevent, we all know Wawrinka is the only dude with a single hander that can stay with Rafa on a tennis court that's slow.

Lajovic's ranking means nothing, as he is up and coming and he'll be top 60 soon.
Barcelona 2014: Almagro d. Nadal. And Dimitrov's attempts at Nadal at the Australian Open (2014) and Monte Carlo (2013) were very good.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
He is more dangerous than Tsonga. The former is on fire but the latter's game just fades away
Really? The guy who's made several semifinals (including 1 here) and already took Djokovic to match point in the QF another year is less dangerous than the #83 ranked player in the world playing in only his second grand slam main draw?

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
plus Agassi got Mronz at Wimbles 1995 (after the infamous Tarango default), ranked 117 (and 75th ranked Jared Palmer at the US, the following slam)
I remembered he was ranked very low but couldn't remember exactly what his ranking was. I love Andre but that is easy as pie!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts