Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Layani the worst umpire on the ATP tour now?

• Yes

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 80.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it when the commies and fans say this is the best umpire. He makes a mistake almost every single match he umpires. It's like clockwork. It makes me sick that people rate this guy so highly. I'm certain he has some kind of ADHD because he is always missing something. Last night again at 5-4 in the second set to Kei. I think he has made some very costly mistakes for players in the past and if they don't send him to the WTA asap he is gonna cost someone a slam, if he hasn't already :rolleyes:

Discuss.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Re: Layani is overrated beyond belief

He used to be inhumanly good, but began to lose it in 2012.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts

Mediocre at best

people rate him because of that retarded smile he makes

·
Registered
103 Posts

For me he is best ever, though i should say, this time i don't watch tennis so often as before

·
Registered
21,308 Posts

He makes a lot of bad calls and inexcusable mistakes but he's friendly so people give him a pass.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts

He's just coasting on his past glory. His performances in the past couple of years have been shocking.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

He is always like 5-10% of the drama in dramatic matches like Ferrer-Nishikori yesterday.
Sometimes his extra loud calls are the most dramatic things in early round matches.

He made mistakes in the last months and years, that's true.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts

He's charming, has a certain panache.
He's also human, not a robot, and will make mistakes like anyone else, but he's still a level above most of the rest.

I believe he genuinely tries to be fair. He probably is a bit too patient with some notable head cases, but that may be as instructed.

I wish he were a bit stronger enforcing the time violation rule, but again, he's probably doing as instructed by the powers that be.

Has he declined in some aspects? Perhaps, but I also think he has grown wiser.

ATP is lucky to have had him in their service. :yeah: :bowdown:

Promotion is inevitable.

8.5 out of 10.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

He's charming, has a certain panache.
He's also human, not a robot, and will make mistakes like anyone else, but he's still a level above most of the rest.

I believe he genuinely tries to be fair. He probably is a bit too patient with some notable head cases, but that may be as instructed.

I wish he were a bit stronger enforcing the time violation rule, but again, he's probably doing as instructed by the powers that be.

Has he declined in some aspects? Perhaps, but I also think he has grown wiser.

ATP is lucky to have had him in their service. :yeah: :bowdown:

Promotion is inevitable.

8.5 out of 10.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Negative masterclass. Disappointing post from you.

Respectfully,
Honestly

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

He's very charismatic, and his dramatic announcements of the score when there's break point "fifteen fooooooorty" are quite hilarious, so I enjoy watching his matches.
He's also, I feel, the one players respect the most, and that's very important.

However it's true that he has been known for making quite a few mistakes in the past couple of years. I feel like people have told him too much that he's the best, and he now lacks humility.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

Everyone makes mistakes. Cut the guy some slack because I'm sure you wouldn't be able to do the job the same.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

I can't believe it when the commies and fans say this is the best umpire. He makes a mistake almost every single match he umpires. It's like clockwork. It makes me sick that people rate this guy so highly. I'm certain he has some kind of ADHD because he is always missing something. Last night again at 5-4 in the second set to Kei. I think he has made some very costly mistakes for players in the past and if they don't send him to the WTA asap he is gonna cost someone a slam, if he hasn't already :rolleyes:

Discuss.
As someone who has ADHD I take high offence to this comment. You're a joke.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

because I'm sure you wouldn't be able to do the job the same.
I don't get this argument tbh, if someone is not doing his job properly and the fact we may not be able to do it better than him means we have no right to criticize him? Are we the umpires? No, its not our job, we are not trained to do that certain job, its his job, not our job. he's supposed to be trained to be an umpire and he should do his job properly, we have the right to criticize him if he doesn't.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts