Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously I don't belong to the late Millenials, was listening to 80's pop and rock when I was brought up, but this phenomenon with Stefani Joanne Angelina is a bit mysterious to me.
I can relate to a lot of the ideals of the Millenials, though not this time.

While I acknowledge that Lady Gaga has a tremendous pool of talent, but she completely sold herself with this kind of visual meaninglessness/evasiveness and over time it's just gotten worse.
Her voice is nice, but how and what she usually sings is fake. Actually her whole artistic persona is fake. Even her private one screams being fake.

There are lots of American and British posters here, who might be relating more to this, so tell me: why is she an idol for youth and especially young women when she is just sooooo boring in reality and so transparent whenever she's doing anything?

·
10,269 Posts
Obviously I don't belong to the late Millenials, was listening to 80's pop and rock when I was brought up, but this phenomenon with Stefani Joanne Angelina is a bit mysterious to me.

While I acknowledge that Lady Gaga has a tremendous pool of talent, but she completely sold herself with this kind of visual meaninglessness/evasiveness and over time it's just gotten worse.
Her voice is nice, but how and what she usually sings is fake. Actually her whole artistic persona is fake. Even her private one screams being fake.

There are lots of American and British posters here, who might be relating more to this, so tell me: why is she an idol for youth and especially young women when she is just sooooo boring in reality and so transparent whenever she's doing anything?
Yeah I don't understand her and I'm supposed to be a millennial.

·
Administrator
10,741 Posts
She's a role model to many younger people because of how she overcame bullying as a kid. Apparently that made her stronger as a person and helped her become the star she is today. She's also an incredible singer which obviously helps her gain the respect of the younger fanbases. Her outfits are certainly a little odd, but it's what she feels comfortable in, so I have no problems with that. I'd say she has a genuine personality.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This thread came a couple of years late. Last song I've heard from her is Perfect illusion which, I checked on wikipedia, came out in 2016. She hasn't been relevant for a while, except for the Bradley Cooper movie this year, which I guess most people that aren't into show tunes missed.
Last I remember, she ditched the whole eccentric look. That's why I voted she's moderately fake, I think she tried to look weird for a while until it didn't work as shock value anymore.

·
Registered
878 Posts
She does have quite a few songs from 2009 and even a few others after that so I don't think she's that "fake"

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This thread came a couple of years late. Last song I've heard from her is Perfect illusion which, I checked on wikipedia, came out in 2016. She hasn't been relevant for a while, except for the Bradley Cooper movie this year, which I guess most people that aren't into show tunes missed.
That movie is interesting at least.

(Sorry, I'm not into popular culture anymore, since I genuinely think that most of contemporary music/art is just crap.
Last time I was majorly interested in all that was like 10 years ago.

Also you can notice the inability of MTFers to bring up interesting topics timely... at least here in Non-Tennis.)

Stefani is not a beauty, not even in the sense of Barbra Streisand. So it is understandable why she chose that weird look and kept it for so many years... though artistically her whole work has just no real meaning for me.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
I don't get the question really, she's an entertainer/singer and that's what she does, and quite well. What she and such people do in their private life is something else, it's not uncommon that someone is boisterous and flamboyant on stage and very reserved off stage (Freddie Mercury for example and many others).

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I haven't listened much to her since 2011, but I was a big fan between 2009 - 2011 (her peak). Liked her music but her personality was clearly fake and her political posturing manufactured to appeal to her core audience. And this is coming from someone who largely agreed with her political positions.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have no idea about her personality but I really don't care for her, I think she's nothing more than a megamix/amalgamation of other singers, fashion designers and retro pop culture in general.

And her sources are almost always much better than her.

Even with 70-year-old Grace Jones she pales in comparison.

If she wins the Oscar over Glenn Close I'll be pissed but not surprised, it'd follow her career path of getting more recognition than people who are immensely more talented than her.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If she wins the Oscar next year over Glenn Close I'll be pissed but not surprised, it'd follow her career path of getting more recognition than people who are immensely more talented than her.
Couldn't agree more with this. Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Gaga is a talented performer and had a couple of good songs. Though I cannot stand her, she has copied Cher and Grace Jones style over the years though acts like she's a true artist.

I hope she doesnt win the Oscar.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts

I don't know much about her but the impression I got is that she wasn't making ends meet in Jazz so she did Pop for the money. I think she is honestly fake with this Lady Gaga persona, therefore she is genuine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Last I remember, she ditched the whole eccentric look. That's why I voted she's moderately fake, I think she tried to look weird for a while until it didn't work as shock value anymore.
A Star is Born was a huge hit and one of the biggest movies of 2018, making 11 times it's budget at the box office. Also the song Shallow from the movie has been a huge success, reaching number 1 in 20 countries and the top 10/20 in many others. The album from the movie also went to number in 15 countries and has been the number one album here in Australia for the last 3 months.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A Star is Born was a huge hit and one of the biggest movies of 2018, making 11 times it's budget at the box office. Also the song Shallow from the movie has been a huge success, reaching number 1 in 20 countries and the top 10/20 in many others.
That is nice, but has no meaning to the work of Lady Gaga so far. That is a bit of a one-off in every sense of the word.

I don't know much about her but the impression I got is that she wasn't making ends meet in Jazz so she did Pop for the money.
I don't like jazz at all, but better be a jazz star for the genuineness, then be a fake pop artist, in my book.
Being a money-hungry whore is not gonna shape your persona anyway.

I think she is honestly fake with this Lady Gaga persona,
True.

therefore she is genuine.
False deduction. Therefore she remains fake, horribly fake. End of story.
And I don't even think that she had a couple of good songs. They are meaningless to me. Though must tell that end of 00's were a bit meaningless to me in every sense, so Gaga just didn't really stand out from there...

·
Registered
628 Posts
When I think about fake artists, I think about Instagram "influencers", or kids of famous celebrities (like the Will Smith kids) who basically buy themselves a career with money, without contributing any creative input. Or someone like Kanye West who is completely detached from reality and vastly overestimates his abilities and impact..

Lady Gaga on the other hand seems like a very talented and respectable artist. I saw A Star Is Born in the cinema a couple of months ago and really loved it. I never would have expected Lady Gaga to have that kind of powerful vocal ability. Also her acting was quite good, I wouldn't be shocked to see the movie pick up a couple of Oscar nominations this year.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
I don't like jazz at all, but better be a jazz star for the genuineness, then be a fake pop artist, in my book.
Being a money-hungry whore is not gonna shape your persona anyway.
It's not that simple. Read this article, maybe you'll think differently after.

https://mic.com/articles/112334/the-story-of-how-lady-gaga-became-famous-will-make-you-like-her-even-more#.QTHMP0AFQ

False deduction. Therefore she remains fake, horribly fake. End of story.
And I don't even think that she had a couple of good songs. They are meaningless to me. Though must tell that end of 00's were a bit meaningless to me in every sense, so Gaga just didn't really stand out from there...
She makes trash on purpose, that's what I'm saying.

Listen to these couple of songs pre-Gaga days, crazy she didn't make it when you have bland as fuck Diana Krall as a worldwide star.

NM51qOpwcIM

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I live in the US and it's sad how many "manufactured" pop singers get pushed to the moon here. Katy Perry and Lady Gaga both aren't very uniquely talented. A unique talent can get be successful on their own. But with girls like Perry and Gaga, you could take just a local lounge singer, have them do their songs, and they'd be huge.

Both are extremely lucky. There's more talent at local coffee shop

·
Super Moderator
8,199 Posts
Great question. Her job is to fake her personality as she's playing a role like a tv show, hard to judge her personally tho as she's mostly a role model in public. But yeah, I liked her songs at the beginning of her hype like 10 years ago (found her especially hot in the telephone-music video when I was 13-14, gotta confess this), but she's been kind of annoying ever since she continued with her shtick with no variety whatsoever. Right now it's nothing outstanding to be some incredibly crazy artist, maybe she revolutionized the whole music business in that aspect even.

Got a friend who's working at a famous radio station here in Germany and she had the pleasure to meet her for a short interview. She told me that she's never expected Lady Gaga to be such a nice, but insecure person at the same time before and after the interview.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,608 Posts
When I think about fake artists, I think about Instagram "influencers", or kids of famous celebrities (like the Will Smith kids) who basically buy themselves a career with money, without contributing any creative input. Or someone like Kanye West who is completely detached from reality and vastly overestimates his abilities and impact..

Lady Gaga on the other hand seems like a very talented and respectable artist. I saw A Star Is Born in the cinema a couple of months ago and really loved it. I never would have expected Lady Gaga to have that kind of powerful vocal ability. Also her acting was quite good, I wouldn't be shocked to see the movie pick up a couple of Oscar nominations this year.
Kanye is a bit of a tricky one. In some ways he does speak a bit more than his impact :lol:, but his acclaim has been pretty good all considered. He released some collaborative albums in 2018, and all of them were pretty well received projects. I particularly liked the one he did with Kid Cudi (Kids See Ghosts). A lot of contemporary hiphop artists owe a lot of Kanye as well who revolutionised production in hiphop. I'm not a huge fan of Kanye but I think he may be a little misunderstood.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts