Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve seen it mentioned here that the poster boys for tanking, Kyrgios and Tomic (and yes, Tomic is worse) are both millionaires, as though that somehow justifies, or at least rationalizes, their bad behavior. But the reason they’ve made so much money is that tennis has become popular enough to draw the fans, and hence the sponsors, from which the money is generated.

That has happened because of the skill, athleticism and dedication of both their peers and the players who have come before them. People don’t watch tennis matches with the expectation that one of the competitors is going to tank, but that both are going to give a full-hearted effort.

So, in a sense, guys like Kyrgios and Tomic are leeching off the efforts and accomplishments of others. After all, how popular would tennis be if a significant number of players started behaving the way they do?

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
While I agree Tomic and Kyrgios are beneficiaries of the overall popularity of tennis I don’t quite understand what’s the purpose of the thread?

They’ve already been bashed for their behaviour ad nauseam. Do you suggest they should be somehow penalised/banned?

·
Premium Member
21,471 Posts
That has happened because of the skill, athleticism and dedication of both their peers and the players who have come before them. People don’t watch tennis matches with the expectation that one of the competitors is going to tank, but that both are going to give a full-hearted effort.
Both Tomic and Kyrgios reached top 20, and you can't do that by just tanking, they had to win too. So at least for some parts of their careers they did show skill and dedication, that they didn't sustain it is nothing that unusual, there are hundreds of tennis players who never even reached that level. They are just more "visible" than a typical unfulfilled talent.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
We heard it said, A kid doesn't choose tennis, tennis chooses you. Tennis for many kids is a form of slavery, the kids who want to be pro have to sacrifice everything. Then if when some do make it, rebellion urges take over and some try to relive their lost childhood.

In some ways a junior career is more stressful than a pro career, a lot of money is invested, expectations are high, ambitious demanding parents in some cases. It's totally understandable how Tomic and Kyrgios and others get some money in their pockets and just say F it and play for money and fun on their own terms instead of fame and legacy and win win win win.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
They deserve what they’ve earned, but that doesn’t mean that all fans have to respect the way they manage their careers.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
It doesn’t bother me so much what they profit from the sport as much as what a stain on the sport & embarrassment to Aus. (even if they r publicly lauded), we all know what genuine fans think of them privately & ‘leeches’ is an apropos description.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Both are overrated as talents and I think it gave them delusions of grandeur. Instead of trying to be solid to 15-20 guys they gave up when they realized how hard it was to compete for the big tournaments.
I know Tomic had a crazy junior career but he doesn’t have the athletic talent to be top 5 in the modern game. When you state you will win all four slams by 19 (or whatever you said) it’s easier to stop trying than admit to yourself you aren’t that good, and put in the work to maintain a top 20-30 level for a decade. Kyrgios is a bit different because, while a bit overrated (ground strokes and point construction) he absolutely has the talent to get hot and win a Wimbledon. But he was never going to consistently dominate.
That being said if they want to be young, rich and dumb all power to them!

·
Banned
31 Posts
Both are overrated as talents and I think it gave them delusions of grandeur. Instead of trying to be solid to 15-20 guys they gave up when they realized how hard it was to compete for the big tournaments.
I know Tomic had a crazy junior career but he doesn’t have the athletic talent to be top 5 in the modern game. When you state you will win all four slams by 19 (or whatever you said) it’s easier to stop trying than admit to yourself you aren’t that good, and put in the work to maintain a top 20-30 level for a decade. Kyrgios is a bit different because, while a bit overrated (ground strokes and point construction) he absolutely has the talent to get hot and win a Wimbledon. But he was never going to consistently dominate.
That being said if they want to be young, rich and dumb all power to them!
How are they dumb? They can live life the way they want to.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
So, in a sense, guys like Kyrgios and Tomic are leeching off the efforts and accomplishments of others. After all, how popular would tennis be if a significant number of players started behaving the way they do?
Business as usual in global sports, irrespective of players being motivated.

I think Kyrgios and Tomic are athletes. If they are happy with their career, good for them! People belittle them because they use Fedalovic as reference. Not everyone has the same level of dedication and motivation.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Kyrgios has always had this "I will do better next season" attitude, but he seldom delivered on it.
No comment on Tomic, as he has been hopeless like since 2014.

Reactions: Kowchi
1 - 18 of 18 Posts