Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barely 2 weeks after his Wimbledon QF, Kyrgios has parted ways with the coach that took him from outside the TOP 800 to #66 and is now under the guidance of Australian Davis Cup coach Josh Eagle and Todd Larkham.

I guess Tennis Australia couldn't handle a New Zealander (Rea) producing a TOP 100 player when Tennis Australia can't :lol:

More than likely, Tennis Australia offered Kyrgios what I call "The Hewitt Package" - unlimited funding and all expenses paid in return for some glory.

What are everyone's thoughts? :wavey:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Don't think TA is the issue here - Kyrgios signalled the parting of ways the night before the Rafa match, and has been saying it was agreed before the FA.

And though Rea undoubtedly helped,the success has long been on the cards, long before Rea came on the scene.

Besides, regardless of Rea's merits, this sounds far more like the natural process of a player getting people around him he feels comfortable with, as opposed to the people chosen for him.

And why wouldn't TA want to accommodate him, he'll certainly be earning them plenty of dollars in extra revenue! Channel 7 must have had an absolute ratings bonanza for the end of Wimbledon, and the increased Australian media coverage of tennis since has already been noticeable.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think TA is the issue here - Kyrgios signalled the parting of ways the night before the Rafa match, and has been saying it was agreed before the FA.

And though Rea undoubtedly helped,the success has long been on the cards, long before Rea came on the scene.

Besides, regardless of Rea's merits, this sounds far more like the natural process of a player getting people around him he feels comfortable with, as opposed to the people chosen for him.

And why wouldn't TA want to accommodate him, he'll certainly be earning them plenty of dollars in extra revenue! Channel 7 must have had an absolute ratings bonanza for the end of Wimbledon, and the increased Australian media coverage of tennis since has already been noticeable.
Uhoh a Tennis Australia employee!

Please, maybe a 1% increase in ratings - don't forget Kyrgios played well past midnight most nights. Don't be silly.

Rea has more to do with his success than Tennis Australia does...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
dont know much about this, but dumping your coach after doing what he did in wimbledon looks really crazy and random

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
It looks like he's ready to take the next step. Dumping Kim Tiilikainen would've been seen as a horrible move after Wimbledon 2013, but it seems like Janowicz could've used that change in retrospect. So we'll see how this pans out.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
On ratings - ch 7 actually repeated the Rafa match at prime time (7.30pm, and a lot of people stayed up to watch the Raonic match (yes well, that certainly didn't help get back the tennis watching base!). But its the slightly longer term (starting with next years open)that TA will surely be looking at.

And didn't Fed revert to his childhood coach after two years away from him while at the Swiss equivalent of the AIS?

Current arrs only seems to be a short term arrangement while he puts something more permanent in place - press announcement says three months.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Barely 2 weeks after his Wimbledon QF, Kyrgios has parted ways with the coach that took him from outside the TOP 800 to #66 and is now under the guidance of Australian Davis Cup coach Josh Eagle and Todd Larkham.

I guess Tennis Australia couldn't handle a New Zealander (Rea) producing a TOP 100 player when Tennis Australia can't :lol:

More than likely, Tennis Australia offered Kyrgios what I call "The Hewitt Package" - unlimited funding and all expenses paid in return for some glory.

What are everyone's thoughts? :wavey:
Why do these players dump...who helped them.
This guy kyrgios is an unethical person.
The between the legs shot...is a fake shot...he pretended that he is not going to hit that shot and the opponent was not expecting....he suddenly hits it.

I read some where he cheated on his girl friend...and hit her on face badly.

http://www.tennisalternative.com/jesse-huta-galung-nick-kyrgios-alejandro-gonzalez-are-the-winners-challenger-recap-rn2079.html

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Lol - A two year old gossip rag quoting an attempt to psych him out by an opponent and involving some nasty name calling.

And the shot of the tournament that emulated his hero Federer.

None of us know what was behind the move to move on from Rea, but on the face of it Larkham has a pretty good claim for a lot of the credit for Kyrgios' success as well - Kyrgios was identified as a talent and moving up well before he came under Rea's tutelage.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
He only coached him in the last 18 months. Another dumb thread by Dmitry Verdasco
lol. 18 months ago Kyrgios was outside the top 800, so the OP is right.

·
F***ing have it
17,470 Posts
I think we'll see him with a striper, Tomic style, anytime soon. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong

1 - 14 of 14 Posts