Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full article

But the world No. 38 also revealed he has started working with psychologists to improve his mental health, admitting he "probably left it a little too long" to take an important step in his career.

The 23-year-old said it gave him a chance to "feel normal", adding he is speaking with two psychologists - one overseas and one in Australia - to help him cope with the tour rigours.

"I was obviously struggling with a couple of things on and off the court this year, so it hasn't been easy. But I'm starting to see some psychologists and trying to get on top of my mental health," Kyrgios said.

Kyrgios has worked with psychologists in the past, but says he now feels more comfortable speaking about mental health and being open about the challenges he faces.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Long overdue.
I am not naive enough to get my hopes high, but if anything, at least this means he cares.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I'm surprised this came out on public. Mental health is still a big taboo everywhere, there are many myths about it, but it's as important as a healthy body without injuries. Hopefully psychological therapy will help him to come back to compete on his highest level.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
He also says he's now found his purpose in helping disadvantaged kids and that will be seen in his results very soon too. :yeah:

Oh wait, no, that was one year ago...

·
Super Moderator
7,413 Posts
It's great to hear that he cares and is working in getting better. He's still young and has his whole life ahead of him, so I'm sure he'll eventually overcome whatever difficulties hinder his career. Go Nick.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
He's a normal kid, struggling to mature in a very unreal world, the pro sports world where everything and every special treatment is given to you.

He has no mental health issues, this sounds like a medical industry scam to sell more drugs and pharmaceuticals to people having a hard time which is normal, life is tough.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,721 Posts
He's a normal kid, struggling to mature in a very unreal world, the pro sports world where everything and every special treatment is given to you.

He has no mental health issues, this sounds like a medical industry scam to sell more drugs and pharmaceuticals to people having a hard time which is normal, life is tough.
Don't be naive. Mental health could affect anyone and in different degrees.

·
Registered
690 Posts

Huh... what? Where I live at least, psychologists can't prescribe any prescription drug. Many people will regularly see psychologists without taking any medication related to mental health. Either it is very different where you live for some reason or you are extremely misinformed.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I just hope he gets the help he needs because where I live the metal health profession is far from ideal. So I hope the Psychologists he is seeing are good ones.

·
Your visions will happen
47,298 Posts
Get well soon, Nick. Find the love and joy necessary for meaningful life

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
by that age people should already become a mature and he is not 18-19
Better late than never I guess. This is what early fame did for him. Tennis Australia and tennis officials anywhere should take note. Spoiling and hyping the up and coming youngsters doesn't do them any good in the long run. Support them, but don't hype them. Let them earn their place in the tennis world by good old fashioned hard work.

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
Give their phone numbers to Tomic, please

·
Registered
24,721 Posts
by that age people should already become a mature and he is not 18-19
I still did not have a brain when I was in my late 30's so he actually is quite mature for me :lol: :grin2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts