Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2014-06-27/16188.php

Nick Kyrgios is making it clear, he wants to be the No. 1 player in the world. And at the rate the young 19-year-old is improving, he might get there someday.

Yesterday, Kyrgios came back from two sets and then saved nine matchpoints to shock former semifinalist Richard Gasquet in the second round at Wimbledon.

“My goal is to become the No. 1 player in the world,” Kyrgios said when told Gasquet put him as a future Top 5 player.

“I think it’s just a long journey. There’s going to be a lot of ups and downs. I’ve just got to do all the right things, work hard, keep having great effort. Hopefully if you marry that up with your ability on the court, anything is possible.”

Being an Australian and following in the footsteps of Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, Patrick Rafter and Lleyton Hewitt, Kyrgios has a lot of expectations already, but he isn’t phased.

“There’s a little bit of pressure there,” he admitted. “At the same time they obviously see that you can win Grand Slams and stuff like that. It’s all motivation. But I’m not really thinking too far ahead. I’ve got a long way to go still. I just have to stay on the ground and keep working hard.”

Kyrgios went on to explain his background.

“I’m half Greek and half Malaysian,” he said. “My mom is Malaysian. I got into tennis when I was seven. My mom brought me down to the local tennis center in Canberra, my hometown. I wasn’t keen. I didn’t want to play it. It wasn’t a bad choice. I like it now.

“I think my dad was pretty big on becoming a tennis player. I enjoyed it as well. I loved basketball as well at the same time. I think it was good to have that balance of another sport while I was progressing. At 14 I had to make a choice, and I chose tennis.”

The 6-foot-4 Kygrios began the year ranked No. 182 and then made the second round at the Australian Open. He’s now up to No. 144 and after reaching his first career Grand Slam third round he’ll move much higher. He’ll face 20-year-old Jiri Vesely for a spot in the final 16 on Saturday.

Kyrgios has won his last 10 matches including the qualifying and main draw at the Nottingham Challenger which gained him entry into his first Wimbledon.
Love the confidence from the kid. He wants to be the best in the world, but also understands that it is a tough, long road

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
He still has a lot to improve.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
It's a very realistic goal. Top 10 is an inevitability with Kyrigos and top 5 a distinct possibility.

He has huge weapons, simply huge weapons. That effortless serve and forehand, the incredible pace he can generate off the ground when on the run also....

Federer will retire soon, Nadal won't be a factor into his 30s and Novak and Andy can't last for ever. He, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic and Coric are certainly going to be in and around the number 1, 2, 3 and 4 spots. I am sure of that.

Course he needs to improve his ability to volley and his backhand, by making them solider shots, but he'll get there soon. The weapons he has are incredible. To me, interms of his game-style and what he has to offer and bring to a tennis court, he is this new generations version of Tsonga.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
being #1 is so overrated.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Let's focus on Vesely first.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The last youngster to upset Gasquet at Wimbledon from 2 sets down had a decent career since then... This Gasquet is definitely too nice!

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Gulbis says it, gets crushed. He says it, it's okay.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
He'll have a shot at it with his skillset. 5-6 years when the big 4 are gone from the scene he'll be right there racking up titles if he can keep his head together.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Gulbis says it, gets crushed. He says it, it's okay.
I think a lot of people are judging this in terms of whether it is a realistic goal or not, which is wrong. Yeah sure, Gulbis probably won't ever be #1 with the current competition, but personally, I'd question the commitment of any athlete to professional sport if they didn't believe they had the capability to be the best.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't think he'll reach the #1 spot just because he said he wants to do it after defeating tired gasquet in 5 setters, let alone he had 9 MP. He won because Gasquest was bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
At least he has ambition. Can't say that about every player.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Well Tomic's ambition was to be #1, win grand slams etc. Difference is Kyrgios is 100% dedicated to the sport.. willing to put in the hard yards, comes from a good family. Whether he reaches #1 or not is irrelevant at the moment, but I do think he will maximize his potential.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Well Tomic's ambition was to be #1, win grand slams etc. Difference is Kyrgios is 100% dedicated to the sport.. willing to put in the hard yards, comes from a good family. Whether he reaches #1 or not is irrelevant at the moment, but I do think he will maximize his potential.
Nvm

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Tennis needs new faces to the top-5, hopefully Kyrgios will be one of those guys in the future! At least his attitude is right.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts