Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
I think this is a good move. Maybe Hewitt can help him tone down some of his antics.

·
Premium Member
9,299 Posts
So looks like Hewitt doesn't plan to coach serious anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Oh come on. Hewitt was just as bad as Kyrgios behaviour wise back in the day. There was a piece in The Guardian a couple of years back that provided some reminders of just how much Hewitt has in common with Kyrgios in style, here's an extract to give a flavour:

As Lleyton Hewitt has faded from the crabbed counter-puncher of his apoplectic middle period to a softened veteran relegated to the outer courts, untroubled by second week slam commitments and sated by proud dotage over his expanding brood, it's become possible, for a certain type of casual Australian tennis fan, to convince themselves that he's actually a pretty nice guy. In public, in recent times, he's come across as emollient, even self-deprecating: not a bad bloke, after all...

...Hewitt sailed out into the world and discovered an astonishingly rich universe of people he didn't like: the Australian public (who he called "stupid" after they cheered for his opponent during a match in Adelaide in 2000); umpires (one of whom he called a "spastic" at the 2001 French Open); linesmen, (Hewitt famously appeared to accuse a black official of favouring his opponent James Blake at the 2001 US Open); the entire nation of Argentina ("You really feel like killing him," Guillermo Coria once said, a sentiment that found a measure of confirmation when Hewitt was offered extraordinary security support for a Davis Cup tie in Buenos Aires in 2006); the organisers of the Australian Open (Hewitt has been a consistent critic of the court surface at Melbourne Park); and women (in 2009, Hewitt suggested female tennis players would not be able to last five sets). The one constant throughout this was that the more Hewitt took issue with the world around him, the more deeply entrenched he became as a fixture in the men's top 10.

An extravagance of talent can excuse all sorts of abuses. But Hewitt's talent was of a piece with his abuses: his greatest talent was for being angry all the time. Storming towards the umpire's chair with a look of death on his face as one of his balls was called out wasn't an additive to his tennis; it was his tennis. Hewitt has been the most completely negative player in the history of the sport: he has been at his best when enveloped in the negativity and hatred, perceived or otherwise, of those around him. Never has a persecution complex been so deeply entwined with an athlete's sense of his own ability...."
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/jun/27/lleyton-hewitt-wimbledon-reputation-tennis

He can help Kyrgios transform his media image if nothing else.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
wow, if this true - hats off to Nick :bowdown:

Best decision for his career ever, this might turn to freaking gold. Wow

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Great decision, cannot wait for loud come on with clenched fist. Seriously, a good decision for him, Rusty is a good choice for him.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
for real? lol

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
this is surprising, especially with all of the racket going on in tennis Australia in terms of with the organization.. ... that said I've heard countless times that Kyrgios (and Tomic to a degree) has a lot of respect for Hewitt so I guess maybe this potential appointment, if true, isn't that shocking

·
Registered
22,247 Posts
Hewitt was a complete dick back in the day as well, although a different kind than Kyrgios.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Hewitt is still active. I think he can help Nick but he hasn't retired yet :confused:.

Have we ever had a situation where one active player is coaching another one?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
crazy, what a mismatch in philosophy
Their mismatch in philosophy is actually good. Kyrgios needs more of Hewitt's mentality if he wants to get to the top.

Hewitt himself was a bit of a brat when younger so he knows what he's talking about. Despite being a weaponless pusher game wise Lleyton is very professionally and has helped Nick before. Just the figure I think Nick needs.

·
6,670 Posts
Hewitt is still active. I think he can help Nick but he hasn't retired yet :confused:.

Have we ever had a situation where one active player is coaching another one?
Hewitt is now Number 271 in the world, he can't get a run in any decent tournament now (he'll still get a wild card at the AO next year), he may as well be inactive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts