Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After acting disrespectfully all week (argument with umpire during Schwartzman match, slamming racket into crowd during Raonic match, etc.), Nick Kyrgios has really outdone himself. The way he tanked those points in third game of the second set was reprehensible and totally against what this sport is about. There are plenty of players who would give A LOT to be in the position that Nick was in today and for him to act like he doesn't care about the privilege of playing on Manic Monday at Wimbledon, to just blatantly tank points on one of the biggest stages in tennis, shows a complete lack of maturity and a sign that Nick has no class. Fans paid A TON of money to watch players give it their all on every point and it's cheating THE FANS too when you just tank points and act like you don't care. Who knows, he could have broken in that game and gone on to win the match. But, we will never know because Nick couldn't bother himself to give it his all on that return and again proved he feels entitled and has no class.

This guy won't win anything of significance with this attitude, and it doesn't look it will change anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Get over it. He's a genius and he's going to win ten slams. Most entertaining player since McEnroe.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Of course it will change. It's pretty obvious the guy is very immature, but contrary to a Monfils, a Fognini or a Paire he really has ambition. So he will grow up, and learn to behave, I have no doubt about it. But as of today, I agree he is horrible.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
After acting disrespectfully all week (argument with umpire during Schwartzman match, slamming racket into crowd during Raonic match, etc.), Nick Kyrgios has really outdone himself. The way he tanked those points in third game of the second set was reprehensible and totally against what this sport is about. There are plenty of players who would give A LOT to be in the position that Nick was in today and for him to act like he doesn't care about the privilege of playing on Manic Monday at Wimbledon, to just blatantly tank points on one of the biggest stages in tennis, shows a complete lack of maturity and a sign that Nick has no class. Fans paid A TON of money to watch players give it their all on every point and it's cheating THE FANS too when you just tank points and act like you don't care. Who knows, he could have broken in that game and gone on to win the match. But, we will never know because Nick couldn't bother himself to give it his all on that return and again proved he feels entitled and has no class.

This guy won't win anything of significance with this attitude, and it doesn't look it will change anytime soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Get over it. He's a genius and he's going to win ten slams. Most entertaining player since McEnroe.
"a genius and he's going to win ten slams"? Upon what evidence? Beating Rafa at Wimbledon, which we've seen over the past four years is not such an impossible feat. Is it his 0 grand slam semis or his 0 career titles and 0-1 record (in a tournament in which he should have been defaulted, by the way)? So, you present an argument with zero evidence behind it.

And, honestly, I don't see what's so entertaining about him. I see disrespect, but if disrespect is entertainment to you, then I guess you are right.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If he wants to be tennis's new villain, that's fine. I haven't really enjoyed rooting against anyone since Roddick retired.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

The tennis crowd doesn't consist of Twitter hooligans - that's football, mate. Look in the stands, these ladies and gentlemen are not fascinated by a promiscuous, swearing, disrespectful brat. They are not 14 anymore, they have achieved something in life and want to cheer for serious athletes, real men, not rude teenagers.

Surprised that a 32-year old finds these antics "entertaining" tbh. As a social science expert my advice for you would be to grow up.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
"a genius and he's going to win ten slams"? Upon what evidence? Beating Rafa at Wimbledon, which we've seen over the past four years is not such an impossible feat. Is it his 0 grand slam semis or his 0 career titles and 0-1 record (in a tournament in which he should have been defaulted, by the way)? So, you present an argument with zero evidence behind it.

And, honestly, I don't see what's so entertaining about him. I see disrespect, but if disrespect is entertainment to you, then I guess you are right.
Unless you're an unreasonable hater, even people who don't like him have to admit he's quickly becoming the highlight of the first week of slams.

My evidence is two-fold. Firstly, he wins games and sets by making brilliant shots even when he's playing atrociously in most other respects. If you actually sat down and watched him with an unbiased mind you'd see this. If he gets a good, firm coach who knows what he's doing and builds up his consistency, he'll become unbeatable. Secondly, he's only 20 years old. The only other player this century to get to two slam quarters as a teenager was Roger Federer. He's way ahead of the curve slams-wise, not behind it.

Reactions: User Name

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
He is so obnoxious it is abhorrent! He is so rude obviously was not raised well by his parents. What kind of a parent would be proud of their son acting like a steteotype? He seems to watch too many rap music videos.

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you're an unreasonable hater, even people who don't like him have to admit he's quickly becoming the highlight of the first week of slams.

My evidence is two-fold. Firstly, he wins games and sets by making brilliant shots even when he's playing atrociously in most other respects. If you actually sat down and watched him with an unbiased mind you'd see this. If he gets a good, firm coach who knows what he's doing and builds up his consistency, he'll become unbeatable. Secondly, he's only 20 years old. The only other player this century to get to two slam quarters as a teenager was Roger Federer. He's way ahead of the curve slams-wise, not behind it.
So, disrespecting an umpire, slamming his racket so hard it goes into the crowd, and blatantly tanking a game (among other things) is your definition of a "highlight"? It might be a highlight to you, but for me, that's a lowlight.

All I'm saying is we slooow down the hype with this guy. He's made one ATP Final in a 250 event and only managed to win five games. And his antics should have even costed him that opportunity.

Not impressed, to be totally honest with you.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Of course it will change. It's pretty obvious the guy is very immature, but contrary to a Monfils, a Fognini or a Paire he really has ambition. So he will grow up, and learn to behave, I have no doubt about it. But as of today, I agree he is horrible.
he has ambition?

he said he doesn't even like tennis and would rather play basketball

by the way, here is VIDEO. you may want to edit the first post and put the video:

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Used to like this clown before but his attitude made me really not able to stand him anymore.Disgusting really and coming from a guy who doesnt even like tennis,dont wanna see his attitude if he was even keen on the sport :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
He needs to play a bit less tennis and come to term with his career and what has to be done. Maybe skipping Montreal and coming back at Cincinatti would be enough to release some pressure and mature a bit.

·
Registered
59,035 Posts
And then he came back and nearly got it back to a fifth. Strategic tank at worse. Disgusting to see people blasting the first non-dull player in ages.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
So, disrespecting an umpire, slamming his racket so hard it goes into the crowd, and blatantly tanking a game (among other things) is your definition of a "highlight"? It might be a highlight to you, but for me, that's a lowlight.

All I'm saying is we slooow down the hype with this guy. He's made one ATP Final in a 250 event and only managed to win five games. And his antics should have even costed him that opportunity.

Not impressed, to be totally honest with you.
Yes, his unpredictability is entertaining. But beyond that, his pace and the way he hits shots, and the way he pulls genius shots out of nowhere is also entertaining. He's got the most electrifying serve in tennis right now, and actually gives servebotting a good name. The way he seems to constantly get in trouble and then fearlessly aces his way out of it is as entertaining as it gets. I guess you'd prefer if everybody was like Raonic. I'm afraid there isn't enough caffeine in the world.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts