Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Almighty Administrator
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source : nos Teletekst
http://teletekst.nos.nl/cgi-bin/tt/nos/page/t/o/633-3

Kuznetsova had a hard time playing her doubles partner. The Russian teenager (17) trained at the tennis academy of Emilio Sanchez, brother of Arantxa.

"I couldn't concentrate during the match because never in my life have I met such a good person (Arantxa). Without her and my coach I would never have made it this far", said the Russian almost in tears.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Poor Sveta :sad:

Its always tough to play someone that your close to. At least she should have an easier time against Conchita tomorrow

·
Registered
27 Posts
from Yahoo:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news/ap/20020928/ap-wismilakinternational.html

Kuznetsova upsets Sanchez-Vicario to reach final

September 28, 2002

BALI, Indonesia (AP) -- Svetlana Kuznetsova upset second-seeded Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 7-5, 6-4 in a semifinal Saturday at the Wismilak International.

Eighth-seeded Conchita Martinez ended the run of American qualifier Sarah Taylor with a 6-0, 6-3 victory in to set up a match with Kuznetsova in the final.

In the first semi, the Kuznetsova's firepower earned her a victory over the Spanish veteran Sanchez-Vicario, who is her doubles partner. The Russian has also attended the academy of Sanchez-Vicario's brother, Emilio, for three years.

But Kuznetsova, who has who has risen in the rankings from 264 to 60 this year, was far from thrilled at reaching her second final this year.

``It was the toughest match of my life,'' said Kuznetsova, who was almost in tears afterward. ``I can't explain the feeling I had today. I was not happy at all to play against her. I couldn't concentrate in the match because I've never met such a good person in my life.

``I didn't feel like I want to win as I always do. I felt so bad and don't feel good that I beat her. She's helped me a lot in my career and this year I made such a big jump in the ranking. She and my coach have helped me a lot. Without them maybe I wouldn't have made the jump.''

Sanchez-Vicario had similar feelings.

``It's hard when you play against a friend,'' she said. ``We have a very good relationship and have practiced together for a long time and spend a lot of time on the tour together.

``It was kind of hard because, whoever won, the other was going to feel down. I would have felt the same way. You just have to give your best and wish them well for the next match.''

In the other semi, Martinez, who withdrew from the doubles the previous evening to protect an ailing shoulder, won the first six games and the last six against Taylor, a plucky opponent who failed to win the important points in many closely fought games.

``It's still sore,'' Martinez said of her shoulder, ``but I pulled off all the games that were tight. I wouldn't say I played my best game today.''

Taylor said she was weary after a long week that had her taken from qualifying to within one match of the final.

``This tournament was a breakthrough for me and to play someone of the caliber of Martinez was exciting and fun,'' said Taylor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Josh said:
Kuznetsova had a hard time playing her doubles partner. . . .
"I couldn't concentrate during the match because never in my life have I met such a good person (Arantxa).
A very gracious (and, IMHO, a very TRUE) statement for Sveta to make. So, for those of you who have not met Arantxa yet, hurry the heck up and do it! And then we think you will also say that you have never in *your* life met such a good person.

Does anyone know *who* Sveta is referring to as her coach? At the US Open, she had a few different ones, including Antonio! :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great actress :rolleyes:

j/k, i hope she can't concentrate tomorrow aswell

·
Registered
130 Posts
yeah well people always talk about Venus & Serena not playing their best against each other..boring... blah, blah..if people that are ONLY good friends can have these emotions playing against each other--why are two sisters exempt??

I'm sure she'll get over it tomorrow when she's playing the final:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
And the battle between Spain and Russia begins! :p :eek: My prediction: Sveta will win for Russia and Eggy in straight sets over Conchita, Spain, and Anabel! (But that might change if the lovely poster from Gijon decides to post the AC Tour results somewhere the members of the game can observe them)

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is very sweet of Sveta to say. But very sad for both with them being so close. :sad:

I'm glad you got to see this article Marsha as you know Arantxa well and can verify how true it is that she is such a good person.
Just from what I saw of Arantxa at AI impressed me with how nice and sweet she is. :kiss:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts