1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I didn't even know Haas was playing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Come on Haas is injured and has always been awful on clay, is this really that shocking?

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Haas has a stellar record at Houston. Plus he hasn't always been awful on clay, he just gave up on it after his shoulder surgeries. He has a clay TMS final and an RG 4th round, hardly awful.

That said, this isn't a surprise.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Come on Haas is injured and has always been awful on clay, is this really that shocking?
affirmative. haas comes from nick`s school of mindless bashing on hard courts and accordingly, only has significant expertise on hard courts. Courier and Agassi were the exceptions and will forever remain the exceptions due to their great success on all surfaces and especially on the red clay at Roland Garros.

Haas could have been a more versatile performer but his career has been cut to pieces by endless injuries and setbacks.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
affirmative. haas comes from nick`s school of mindless bashing on hard courts and accordingly, only has significant expertise on hard courts. Courier and Agassi were the exceptions and will forever remain the exceptions due to their great success on all surfaces and especially on the red clay at Roland Garros.

Haas could have been a more versatile performer but his career has been cut to pieces by endless injuries and setbacks.
And an inferior single handed backhand?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
uh oh

schuettler, mayer, Petzschner, and now haas...it sucks to be german tennis fans today or for the next indefinite number of years. There seems to be nothing in the horizon to cheer for. :sad:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I always thought clay would suit Haas's game, I don't know why he's so awful on it. Granted he's had a few good results, but outside of those it's been kinda ugly.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
I always thought clay would suit Haas's game, I don't know why he's so awful on it. Granted he's had a few good results, but outside of those it's been kinda ugly.

he is not consistent enough for clay. his game is more high risk and less high percentage. flatter strokes rob him of the consistency needed for dirt.

he is also not patient enough.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Its all mental, and he doesn't like playing players with the style that excels on clay (grinders and defensive players that just wait for an error). His all court game isn't as effective and his skidding slice doesn't work as well. Probably doesn't have the greatest footwork on clay.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Its all mental, and he doesn't like playing players with the style that excels on clay (grinders and defensive players that just wait for an error). His all court game isn't as effective and his skidding slice doesn't work as well. Probably doesn't have the greatest footwork on clay.

first you say its all "mental" with him.

then you add that he doesnt have the footwork. you further suggest that his slice is useless on clay.

seems to me that its more than just mental. his game itself is better suited for hard courts.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
first you say its all "mental" with him.

then you add that he doesnt have the footwork. you further suggest that his slice is useless on clay.

seems to me that its more than just mental. his game itself is better suited for hard courts.
Well I shouldn't have said all mental, but its still a big factor. Nadal coming along in 05 killed his motivation for clay even further probably. A lot of players find it difficult to move on clay, it doesn't mean they have no footwork. It just means they aren't used to the reduced grip and sliding. I also didn't say the slice is useless, its just less effective.

And theres no doubt his game is better suited for hard court, hence why I said "his all court game isn't as effective"

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
yessssss!!!!!! Someone in my signature, NOT sucking this week :D

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Wow! Congrats Igor :bigclap:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts