Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who wins RG: Kuerten (2001) vs. Nadal (2006)?

• Guga Kuerten

Votes: 113 44.0%
  • Rafa Nadal

Votes: 144 56.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: Rafael Nadal vs Gustavo Kuerten...Who will win

are you serious?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

World Beater said:
are you serious?
It is just an opinion thread. I just wanted to know pples opinion if they were both playing each other in their primes :)

·
Your visions will happen
46,600 Posts

This is a stupid thread. Add that to the fact that there is no poll, and :rolleyes:

but regardless, Rafa on all surfaces :D

·
Registered
18,861 Posts

Guga could be awesome on hardcourt (won many titles including TMC 2000 where he beat Sampras and Agassi back to back, and TMS Cincinnati 2001), so I think in his prime he would beat Nadal there. Guga also reached the finals of TMS Indian Wells, TMS Miami, TMS Montreal and the quarters of the USO twice. Also, on clay, I give the edge to Guga, especially because of his killer backhand and his awesome serve. On grass, Nadal would definitely beat Guga with his great court coverage. That's my opinion:angel: as a Guga fan;)

·
Banned
3,123 Posts

Hard to say, I dont think Guga would be intimidated by Rafas top spin on his backhand. Guga both has the power and the ability to hit 10 straight shots close to the line and never miss (Something Federer lacks). I think whoever would win would have to do it in a 5 set battle on clay. Other surfaces doesnt really matter, but Nadal would probably beat Guga on grass and I dont really know who would win on hardcourt.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts

Billabong said:
Guga could be awesome on hardcourt (won many titles including TMC 2000 where he beat Sampras and Agassi back to back, and TMS Cincinnati 2001), so I think in his prime he would beat Nadal there. Guga also reached the finals of TMS Indian Wells, TMS Miami, TMS Montreal and the quarters of the USO twice. Also, on clay, I give the edge to Guga, especially because of his killer backhand and his awesome serve. On grass, Nadal would definitely beat Guga with his great court coverage. That's my opinion:angel: as a Guga fan;)
I agree, although on grass it would have been anybody's guess.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

Billabong said:
Guga could be awesome on hardcourt (won many titles including TMC 2000 where he beat Sampras and Agassi back to back, and TMS Cincinnati 2001), so I think in his prime he would beat Nadal there. Also, on clay, I give the edge to Guga, especially because of his killer backhand and his awesome serve. On grass, Nadal would definitely beat Guga with his great court coverage. That's my opinion:angel: as a Guga fan;)
he was awesome. not could have been awesome.

he's the only player to beat both andre and pete indoors, and he did it in high pressure situation...that was probably the most exciting year of tennis in terms of rankings that i have seen.

kuerten had a good serve, and was very solid off both wings. his bh was magical and the fh was indeed a weapon. his movement considering his height 6 '3 earlier in his career was pretty good too.

in short i agree w/ your analysis. i dont think nadal would be able to push around kuerten on clay or hard because of guga's great bh. plus he has a much better serve than nadal. on grass, i think nadal gets the edge, but i think guga's serve could indeed earn him some cheap points.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts

World Beater said:
in short i agree w/ your analysis. i dont think nadal would be able to push around kuerten on clay or hard because of guga's great bh. plus he has a much better serve than nadal. on grass, i think nadal gets the edge, but i think guga's serve could indeed earn him some cheap points.
Attitude is important. Nadal is happy playing on grass while Kuerten resented it so would always see Nadal winning on grass.

Actually I think Guga may have struggled hitting through the defensive wall Nadal offers on a clay court.

Guga's best chance would be on hard courts which appear to be Nadal's weakest surface.

·
Registered
18,861 Posts

World Beater said:
he was awesome. not could have been awesome.

he's the only player to beat both andre and pete indoors, and he did it in high pressure situation...that was probably the most exciting year of tennis in terms of rankings that i have seen.

kuerten had a good serve, and was very solid off both wings. his bh was magical and the fh was indeed a weapon. his movement considering his height 6 '3 earlier in his career was pretty good too.

I totally agree:yeah: After reading this, I really want to see some vintage Guga again, I have both his unbelievable Lisboa victories on DVD:lol::cool:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Kuerten would win. He had enormous power off both wings and Nadal's style would fit him. Well, maybe on grass/carpet Nadal would win.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts

Billabong said:
I agree :yeah:

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

DrJules said:
Attitude is important. Nadal is happy playing on grass while Kuerten resented it so would always see Nadal winning on grass.

Actually I think Guga may have struggled hitting through the defensive wall Nadal offers on a clay court.

Guga's best chance would be on hard courts which appear to be Nadal's weakest surface.

well luck is important too...guga has had some injuries.

if not, im sure we would have seen kuerten do better and better,
he did reach the qf of wimbledon once too, you know.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts

Could go either way on grass, but for the effort alone I'd give Nadal the edge.

I think Guga would beat him on clay, the top spin wouldn't bother him. I remember Vinciguerra had a similar game to Nadal (of course not as consistent and with a worse backhand), and he was destroyed by Guga in Roland Garros in 2000.

As for hard, depends on what kind of hard. Guga would have the advantage on the faster ones (decoturf, carpet), while Nadal would have the edge on slower and bouncier surfaces like Rebound Ace.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Shotgun Blues said:
Could go either way on grass, but for the effort alone I'd give Nadal the edge.

I think Guga would beat him on clay, the top spin wouldn't bother him. I remember Vinciguerra had a similar game to Nadal (of course not as consistent and with a worse forehand), and he was destroyed by Guga in Roland Garros in 2000.

As for hard, depends on what kind of hard. Guga would have the advantage on the faster ones (decoturf, carpet), while Nadal would have the edge on slower and bouncier surfaces like Rebound Ace.
But the thing is that Nadal is too dominant on that surface. Nobody has come close since Borg. That is why I dont believe Guga would be able to handle Nadal on clay

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts

oschemi said:
But the thing is that Nadal is too dominant on that surface. Nobody has come close since Borg. That is why I dont believe Guga would be able to handle Nadal on clay
It's not like Nadal has lots of quality opposition nowadays on clay, apart from a dedicated Federer who has improved a lot on the surface. If he had to play against the 2003 Ferrero and the 2004 Coria at the same time, I'm not sure if his supremacy would be the same.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

oschemi said:
Have you ever watched Guga play on clay in 2000 and 2001?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Lee said:
Have you ever watched Guga play on clay in 2000 and 2001?
Yes I have, Guga had a lot of trouble with Kafelnikov and lost to Moya 2 and 0 on one ocassion. Guga was not anywhere as dominant as Nadal. He was vulnerable to some players

1 - 20 of 295 Posts