Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former world number one Gustavo Kuerten says he intends to play at Wimbledon in 2003.
The Brazilian, a three-time French Open champion, has snubbed the tournament for the last two years.

Kuerten, a noted baseliner, has always harboured doubts about his game on the famous grass courts of the All England Club.

But he said: "I want to play the main tournaments in 2003, all the Grand Slams, the Masters Series and some other minor tournaments."

Kuerten, who is training at the coastal town of Camboriu, will start next year in Auckland, New Zealand, before moving on to the Australian Open in Melbourne.

After reaching the top of the ATP rankings in 2000, he fell to 36th place in the Champions Race this year after an injury-affected season.

Kuerten's best result at Wimbledon was a quarter-final place in 1999, when he lost to Andre Agassi.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thats great news :bounce: and i hope to see him again like i did in 2000 :)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i hope that 2003 is his year. i miss him! and as long as he is healthy enuf to play on grass, why not? ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hope he stays healthy for year 2003 too, I miss his grunts :D :D :D

I don't know maybe its just me but I think Guga associate grass with picnics and just lying in there staring at the sky and thinking happy thoughts. Maybe that explains his poor record in grass, I think!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I read about it last night, and posted his first semester calendar in his forum. He will play in Auckland, both the Masters on US hard, Barcelona and Wimbledon, between the others he always plays.

I´m curious for this start of season. If he can have a strong start, he is gonna be dangerous. I read he is motivated and hungry for tennis, and that in itself is already great. :D
GO GUGA!

·
Registered
420 Posts
that's great news indeed, my only concern is that he does not want to play any of the leading grass tournaments in between RGarros and Wimbledon, and will arrive in London with little if any preparation or experience on the surface...

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Ace Tracker said:
that's great news indeed, my only concern is that he does not want to play any of the leading grass tournaments in between RGarros and Wimbledon, and will arrive in London with little if any preparation or experience on the surface...
No grass tournaments before Wimby, that means he believes he can go all the way in FO. :D :D

Go Guga!

·
Registered
258 Posts
COMON GUGA!!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Warfreak, Guga reached the quarters of Wimbledon in 1999. After that, he simply didn't participate in grass events much. I believe he can excel on that surface. He's the King of the World after all

·
Registered
496 Posts
GO GUGA! :bounce:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts