Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was only one win, but he was a class above Paulie. I think he could make the top 100 again, if he keeps producing tennis like that.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Guga will be playing challengers after this.

·
Registered
698 Posts
joeyd2005 said:
It was only one win, but he was a class above Paulie. I think he could make the top 100 again, if he keeps producing tennis like that.

Without a doubt mate but a previous thread i opened is the consistancy worry, how many times has Guga produced a great match in the last 18-24 months and not backed it up, i hope he does but don't be suprised if he gets beat in straight sets by Robredo. posting back 2 back performances has been his problem since his big injuries

·
Registered
367 Posts
highly unlikely, Guga himself said he does not have great expectations for 2005 but hope to still be competitive for next year season... he still has trouble moving laterally and was able to win convincingly because he had a great serving day against Goldstein, in fact leading the US Open stats for number of aces in round 1... he will have to rely even more on a great serving day against Robredo, a better defender, and play with high risk shots because he is not fit enough yet to play long rallies... hopefully he will give us another great match :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
but he is playing well against Robredo. a set up at the moment. his movement to the FH side is still obviously restricted but Tommy isn't quite being able to take full advantage of it partly because Guga is hitting some outrageous groundstrokes.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
I'm watching him with Tommy and he's playing some really great points! I like Tommy a lot, but I'm 100% behind Guga right now. I soooooo want him to win!

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
He's up a set now :)

I saw Guga's match against Goldstein, his first serve was unbelievable against Goldstein, especially to the deuce court. Even when he wasn't hitting aces (35!), he was out in front of the point and wound up winning most of those points. His second serves were more questionable, though. The backhand was a lot more consistent than the forehand. When Goldstein started playing about 10 feet behind the baseline and trying to keep all of the balls in play, Guga threw in some drop shots and attacked the net effectively. His movement was ok, although he gave up on a few balls that he would have gotten back before, not many though.

Going to play some challengers in South America would be a good idea, help him get more timing and confidence plus he won't have to travel as much, and there wouldn't be a lot of incentive for him to travel around Asia and Europe playing on indoor hard courts the rest of the year.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts
he's back for sure! he plays some great tennis, bring it home:hug:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
sugar_kane said:
Challengers? :eek: Guga, don't go down there again :inlove:
He needs to play them, as they'll be on clay, better for the hip, he doesn't have a protected ranking anymore and he needs to win matches and a lot of them.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts
don't forget the WCs!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Guga lost the 2nd set tiebreaker and now an injury timeout :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts