Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very topsy-turvy match. Picasso's serve percentage dipped in the 5-5 game in the third and that cost him. Kei got some good returns in play and broke, and closed it out, but not without more struggles, as he saved a break point the final game and a few deuces.

Both guys had their chances and both guys went through stretches of good and bad play. Kei is just a little more consistent/better from the baseline and on return, that's what made the difference.

Picasso was too passive the first 1 1/2 sets and tried to create offense from too deep behind the court, so he started going to the net more and stood closer to the baseline the last half of the match to get him back in it. Kei made too many loose errors himself in the final two sets, but he played more aggressively, especially in the final game, and took the initative when it mattered on big points. Also hit many effective dropshots in the third set. A good win for him in the end.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Nice match to watch. Interesting rallies, forehands, backhands, drop shots, lobs, volleys -- bit of everything. Obviously, you get the brain farts, too, with a Petz match. And Kei getting nervous at times. Glad to see Kei back :)

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was an entertaining match. Two talented, creative players, who are a bit iffy mentally, which makes for plenty of ooohs and aaahs and also laughs.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Kei :dance: Nice match. Some nice rallies.:D At one point Kei seemed to be losing the match but he hung on and finally broke late in the third to get the match after several MPs.:eek:

Phillipe, surprisingly, does have quite a fanbase BTW.:angel:

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I really enjoyed this match :yeah:

A bit of everything, kudos to both for fighting till the end.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
I've never seen a Nishikori match in which he won, so maybe for his sake, I'll continue ignoring his matches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts