Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a decent hit with my flatmate the other day (when I even managed to not miss every other backhand) I have decided to play as much tennis as I can this summer and get not necessarily good but not-embarrassingly-bad at it.

So I went out to hit some serves today and apart from the rain and apart from breaking a string and having to go home after half an hour I thought it went pretty well. Even managed to record a short (very crappy) video of me hitting a couple of serves. I will do a better video pretty soon (as soon as I get my only racket restrung, hopefully day after tomorrow). This one was really to test out the phone camera. It didn't help that the wind knocked the phone over about 30 seconds in.

For now bask in the sheer glory of my measly serve and give some tips. I play lefty, my biggest weapons are the forehand and my fitness. Backhand is a bit of a liability and being relatively short my serve is never realistically going to be a big weapon.

Any tips on the serve motion are appreciated.

·
Your visions will happen
48,597 Posts
More forward momentum, more from the legs, better camera angle

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its not a bad service action, Ive seen much worse ( my action is probably less polished than yours :) but keep on practicing, you'll get some consistency and you'll win games

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More forward momentum, more from the legs, better camera angle
Thanks, Johnny. Pushing off more will definitely add power to my stroke, duly noted. For now my biggest challenge is getting the toss to be consistent. If I can consistently add a bit more height without having the ball veer off to the side or too far back/forward I think I can then move on to working on power and placement.

Will try to mount the phone on the fence somehow next time. I actually had a fair few more serves in that video, some pretty good I thought, but then the phone tilted back quite early on and I could only show you guys two serves. Started raining pretty heavily after this video so no time to do more.

Its not a bad service action, Ive seen much worse ( my action is probably less polished than yours :) but keep on practicing, you'll get some consistency and you'll win games
Thanks, man. Some good habits from my childhood coach, I suppose, which years of not practicing have somewhat erased.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had issues with my ball toss also, my toss seems to veer to my right a bit, when I get it right its a good serve, with depth and pace so I'd definitely work on the placement of the toss, its something I didn't put too much thought into in years past but I'm deffo going to work on it now

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had issues with my ball toss also, my toss seems to veer to my right a bit, when I get it right its a good serve, with depth and pace so I'd definitely work on the placement of the toss, its something I didn't put too much thought into in years past but I'm deffo going to work on it now
Yeah exactly. A good toss improves your entire motion because you are aiming to hit the ball in the right spot. You extend the racket to the right height, you push off with the legs, etc.

On the other hand, a poor toss means your body is trying to do all the wrong things in order to get to a ball which is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah exactly. A good toss improves your entire motion because you are aiming to hit the ball in the right spot. You extend the racket to the right height, you push off with the legs, etc.

On the other hand, a poor toss means your body is trying to do all the wrong things in order to get to a ball which is in the wrong place.
I heard that bro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts