Mens Tennis Forums banner

Koubek - choker of 2005?

588 views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Action Jackson 
#1 ·
He led 6/4 *4/0 and from there pressed the self-destruct button.

I can't think of anyone else who has had a really clear lead and complete crowd support...and lost so tamely in the end...can you?

#4 ·
Thank God I didn't see this match...

If it's really so bad like described, it of course an awful collapse for Koubek, but needless to say that this complete season was a bad one for him. Sure, he still doesn't need to lose like that, especially not in a home event, but I didn't expect much of him for the rest of the year. Koubek's 2005 started with the doping suspension and some injuries kept him out from properly practising for his return and he never seemed to catch up this deficit (and maybe some other reasons we are not aware of?! :confused: ).

I hope he can have a good 2006 :yeah: :angel:

#11 ·
Unquestionably the single worst loss of Koubek's career, and it's up against some pretty stiff competition.

#12 ·
That second set deserves to be in the hall of fame of bad tennis.

I gotta give a big thumbs down to Koubek, he is the first player I have ever seen give up when they were actually leading in the match. You could tell at 6-4 4-3 that he had spat the dummy and even though he was mentally gone Lisnard still nearly gave him the match.

#13 ·
sparkus8 said:
That second set deserves to be in the hall of fame of bad tennis.

I gotta give a big thumbs down to Koubek, he is the first player I have ever seen give up when they were actually leading in the match. You could tell at 6-4 4-3 that he had spat the dummy and even though he was mentally gone Lisnard still nearly gave him the match.
If he gave up, he wouldn't have won a game.

#15 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
If he gave up, he wouldn't have won a game.
not in this case, I was watching the live feed, and Lisnard wasn't too keen on winning the match either.

Lisnard went up 4-0 in the tiebreak, for it to come back to 5-5 with some lovely unforced errors, and then again in the 3rd set it took Jean-Rene 4 or 5 match points to finally close it out, including a double fault on one of them.

#16 ·
its.like.that said:
not in this case, I was watching the live feed, and Lisnard wasn't too keen on winning the match either.

Lisnard went up 4-0 in the tiebreak, for it to come back to 5-5 with some lovely unforced errors, and then again in the 3rd set it took Jean-Rene 4 or 5 match points to finally close it out, including a double fault on one of them.
I am glad I didn't see this match, this sounds like a really bad crash or a really trash reality show, you know it's crap and rubbish, but somehow people put themselves through the ordeal.

If he lost to Ginepri on clay, that is the only thing that equals a loss to Lisnard.

#17 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
I am glad I didn't see this match, this sounds like a really bad crash or a really trash reality show, you know it's crap and rubbish, but somehow people put themselves through the ordeal.

If he lost to Ginepri on clay, that is the only thing that equals a loss to Lisnard.
mate, on the form he displayed he would have lost to the current day Woodforde on clay.

:bolt:

#18 ·
its.like.that said:
mate, on the form he displayed he would have lost to the current day Woodforde on clay.

:bolt:
That bad was it?

#20 ·
The thing is Gaudio or Melzer plays Lizard Lips in the next round and Gaston losing to this guy, this would almost be enough for me to lose my cool, though even if Melzer lost to him, he should be very disappointed at best.

#22 ·
its.like.that said:
Lisnard plays like Kenneth Carlsen - without the serve.
I remember Marach leading 2 sets to love and losing to Lisnard, then Lizard Lips beat Grosjean.

It's time for Koubek to bring back the yellow shorts, 2005 has been a write off for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.