Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
source : http://www.sport.pl/tenis/1,64987,5051117.html, probably there are some english sources as well

A brief translation : a group of serbian fans managed to get to the final (dunno if it was Ana's or Novak's final) with a banner on which english translation of this popular inscription had been displayed. The security confiscate this

What do you think of such manifestation? Surely mixing sports and politics doesn't do well for any of the two, but was the security's reaction going a bit too far? Anyway, I'm not so sure if they would confiscate 'Kosovo is finally independent from Serbs' banner, but it's just speculation

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
Re: 'Kosovo je Srbija' poster confiscated during the last day's final

I think I saw this banner during Ana's match. These Serbian fans are quiet nervewrecking. There were also shouting during 1st and 2nd serve.

I think the security did the right thing as I think political banners have nothing to search in sports. We might also see a lot of these things during this years Olympic Games.

·
Registered
618 Posts

source : http://www.sport.pl/tenis/1,64987,5051117.html, probably there are some english sources as well

A brief translation : a group of serbian fans managed to get to the final (dunno if it was Ana's or Novak's final) with a banner on which english translation of this popular inscription had been displayed. The security confiscate this

What do you think of such manifestation? Surely mixing sports and politics doesn't do well for any of the two, but was the security's reaction going a bit too far? Anyway, I'm not so sure if they would confiscate 'Kosovo is finally independent from Serbs' banner, but it's just speculation
I think the banner with this kind of cr*p should be banned everywhere possible.

First because it is made in Kostunica's kitchen and it is part of his very agressive campaign for parliament elections.

Second, because this country doesn't need the traitor hunting again and Kostunica is trying to identify them as Milosevic did, wanting all nation to close their eyes and believe in unreal-that Kosovo is Serbia (it is not any more and that's the fact from the very moment of recognizing Kosovo from international subjects-ofcourse, reality bites ).

Third, because this man already manipulated Serbian swimmer-Cavic to wear a shirt with that message while taking the gold medal, and directly is responsible for his disqualification.I am sure that the same shirt was sent to Novak and thank God he didn't wear it yesterday.People that don't live here don't understand political situation well and that's the main reason Cavic was manipulated in such way and for Novak's participation in Kostunica's "big meating" :(:(:(

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts

I'm glad they confiscated that sign, there was no reason to bring it. Tennis is one of the few sports around that hasn't been tainted by politics. I say keep the political bullshit out of tennis. This isn't soccer (oh sorry, football).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sports and politics should be seperated not by a mile, but by an ocean. Such posters do not bring anything good to anyone.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Yesterday, a Serbian swimmer (sorry, forgot his name) got disqualified at the European Championships in Eindhoven (NL) for wearing a tee with exactly the same text.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts

I'm glad they confiscated that sign, there was no reason to bring it. Tennis is one of the few sports around that hasn't been tainted by politics. I say keep the political bullshit out of tennis. This isn't soccer (oh sorry, football).
I think that's a good idea. Now if you would just get the USO to understand that they need to cut out all the flag waving crap that would be great.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Yesterday, a Serbian swimmer (sorry, forgot his name) got disqualified at the European Championships in Eindhoven (NL) for wearing a tee with exactly the same text.
Oh please. They disqualified someone for wearing a t-shirt? Was there a rule involved? No t-shirts with political statements we don't like?

Can't anyone see that Serbians might find independence for Kosovo distasteful and that might be legitimate from their standpoint? This isn't an easy question with black and white answers. The main thing for all of us is to end violence against one another. That's the important thing.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
I think that's a good idea. Now if you would just get the USO to understand that they need to cut out all the flag waving crap that would be great.
What flag waving crap would that be?

Oh please. They disqualified someone for wearing a t-shirt? Was there a rule involved? No t-shirts with political statements we don't like?
Political statements on t-shirts have been banned from many schools and sports competitions for years now.

·
tennishaven.com
36,855 Posts
i dont think it was yesterday but a few days ago... well i heard about it a few days ago i think...

apparently he is really good... seems like we wont be seeing that person swim :sobbing:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
They didn't want to see any political statements around during the tournament, and I guess they have their reasons for it. The guy was being pretty obnoxious showing it off, btw.

Can't anyone see that Serbians might find independence for Kosovo distasteful and that might be legitimate from their standpoint? This isn't an easy question with black and white answers. The main thing for all of us is to end violence against one another. That's the important thing.
I fully respect the Serbians' opinions on this matter, but whether a sportsman should show it off the way he did might be considered offensive to others, who may have a different opinion on it. Respect goes both ways. :shrug:

Emphasizing one's nationalistic viewpoints in an unasked for manner has never been a good recipe to promote peace...

·
Registered
948 Posts
That is not a political statement, but a fact. :wavey:

Still no need for that in sports.

Reactions: schorsch

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't know. I wouldn't mind to see athletes show political support of tibet during the next olympics.

In this case, the political agenda is less defensible. And it comes from fans, not the sportsmen.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts

Good Decision from IW.

What flag waving:confused:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
i dont think it was yesterday but a few days ago... well i heard about it a few days ago i think...

apparently he is really good... seems like we wont be seeing that person swim :sobbing:
I only saw it yesterday, might indeed have happened a few days before.
He IS really good, but I can understand the organization having taken measures against his action. Whether completely disqualifying him was the right one... I really don't know. Perhaps they should just have given him a warning.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cavic was disqualified because they feer his results, he needed another 0.015 sec to beat the world record.

Him wearing that shirt was as good of an excuse as any. He didn't break any rules, nor did anyone warn him.

Btw the sign was in cyrillic, was by no means offensive, just as a sign 'Paris is France' would not be considered so.

Simple as that. It was a pety overreaction from money driven people.

But he'll show them in Beijing. Can't wait. :)

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
I don't know. I wouldn't mind to see athletes show political support of tibet during the next olympics.

In this case, the political agenda is less defensible. And it comes from fans, not the sportsmen.
Yes. People in the crowd unfurled a banner supporting a free Tibet today during the torch ceremony in Greece. I remember the fists of the black american athletes at the olympics in Mexico. That was a moving moment.

I think when we disagree with a political statement, the public airing of it is more distasteful to us. Personally, I think an independent Kosovo is better given all that has gone on, but coming from a country that fought a bloody civil war, I also understand why people might be against part of their country splitting away.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
The ceremonies where a huge flag is marched in with soldiers and policemen etc. And the singing of patriotic songs.

Makes me gag.
Then close your eyes or hit the off button:p:lol: :lol: :lol: It's a lovely ceremony:angel:

Reactions: MusicMyst

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
I only saw it yesterday, might indeed have happened a few days before.
He IS really good, but I can understand the organization having taken measures against his action. Whether completely disqualifying him was the right one... I really don't know. Perhaps they should just have given him a warning.
I just want to know what rule he broke that required a disqualification. If there was an explicit rule in place banning the proclamation of a political position, that's one thing, but if there wasn't -- it's not right.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts