Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
10,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanasi Kokkinakis is no stranger to facing challenges.

The South Australian showed enormous potential early in his career, soaring to a career-high ranking of No.69 as a 19-year-old in 2015. He boasts four career wins against top 20-ranked opponents, including a sensational victory over then world No.1 Roger Federer in Miami in 2018.

However, a horror run from injuries has stalled Kokkinakis’ progress and prevented him from building momentum over the past five seasons.

“I’ve never actually played a full schedule in my career. The closest I got was when I was 18 and I played three quarters of a schedule,” he said.

“I think I’m a better player now than I was then, but haven’t been able to show it.”

With the ATP Tour currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kokkinakis is again facing another extended stint on the sidelines.

Speaking to Todd Woodbridge from his parent’s home in Adelaide, the 24-year-old revealed he is also recovering from a serious bout of glandular fever.

Kokkinakis was struck down with the energy-sapping illness late in 2019, just as he was finishing his preparations for a return to tour in 2020.

·
6,667 Posts
Terrible bad luck for Kokk.
He just needs some good fortune and health and to be able to play out a full season.
Hopefully he comes back stronger.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone see his live w Kyrgios yesterday
Kokk actually comes across as a pretty sharp bloke - my favourite quote being "I reckon big BT still showers with his dad" referring to Tomic lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
He seems to have even more obstacles than Del Potro 😮

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't know what went wrong with this guy.

He was a talented 18 year old just like many other players. Seemed destined to be at least top 30 (maybe top 10) for his career.

And now he has endured nothing but misery for the last 6 years.

Like, it doesn't seem normal. Atleast Delpo had a few years at/near the top before getting very injured.

What has gone on with this guy? Did he get very bad advice in terms of how to look after his body? Did he not follow the advice?

Potential for a decent career almost entirely wasted.

·
10,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
740 Posts
Something in the water, maybe ?
-Culture of mediocrity. Singles tennis requires an individualist's personality, a selfish one. Australian culture frowns upon that. Wants everyone to be a 'team player'.

-Lack of necessity. Life is so comfortable here, especially if you get moderate success as an athlete, endorsement deals etc.

-Tennis surfaces are more clay/slow, less fast grass/hardcourt. Doesn't suit the style of both Aus and US male players.

-Sheer distance from the hub of tennis (Europe). If Kokk had been from a Euro country, for instance, he probably would have had the finest tennis physios working on him. Instead he probably trained with some amateur Australian Football coach who knows nothing about conditioning tennis players bodies.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
-Culture of mediocrity. Singles tennis requires an individualist's personality, a selfish one. Australian culture frowns upon that. Wants everyone to be a 'team player'.

-Lack of necessity. Life is so comfortable here, especially if you get moderate success as an athlete, endorsement deals etc.

-Tennis surfaces are more clay/slow, less fast grass/hardcourt. Doesn't suit the style of both Aus and US male players.

-Sheer distance from the hub of tennis (Europe). If Kokk had been from a Euro country, for instance, he probably would have had the finest tennis physios working on him. Instead he probably trained with some amateur Australian Football coach who knows nothing about conditioning tennis players bodies.

None of those factors prevented Hewitt, Rafter, Woodbridge, Woodforde from achieving greatness.

·
Registered
740 Posts
None of those factors prevented Hewitt, Rafter, Woodbridge, Woodforde from achieving greatness.
-Aus culture was different then. Hewitt was hated but very bullheaded guy
-necessity was there as athletes paid less then

-ummm..yeah. surfaces were totally different then. That's the point

-expertise in tennis has switched from Aus/US to Europe because of surface change. Tennis also much less popular sport in Aus/US now so opposed to 20 years ago.

271 Posts
This may sound petty but I truly wish him nothing but continued misery after continously live betting him vs. Berankis in the Vancouver Chall. last year when he was down a break in the 3rd. Had a chance to win 10K but wound up losing 2.5K because he couldn't get the break back against Ricardas' "rocket" 104 MPH first serve.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
This may sound petty but I truly wish him nothing but continued misery after continously live betting him vs. Berankis in the Vancouver Chall. last year when he was down a break in the 3rd. Had a chance to win 10K but wound up losing 2.5K because he couldn't get the break back against Ricardas' "rocket" 104 MPH first serve.
You're trash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts