Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAP Report carried on the ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-...gios-was-out-of-order/6702804?section=sport):

Thanasi Kokkinakis says Nick Kyrgios was out of order dragging him into his on-court verbal stoush with Stan Wawrinka at last week's Montreal Masters.

Speaking for the first time since Kyrgios' unsavoury sledging of Wawrinka, Kokkinakis on Monday revealed his good mate had apologised for the incident.

"I let him know. I made it pretty clear that he can't be doing that. If he's got a problem, he's got to say it in private," Kokkinakis said after successfully qualifying for the Cincinnati Masters.

"The way he went about it definitely wasn't the right thing."

Kokkinakis admitted he had endured a couple of sleepless nights since Kyrgios sparked global outrage for telling Wawrinka: "Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend".

While Kokkinakis said he had cleared the air with Wawrinka and Donna Vekic, the rising WTA star Kyrgios was referring to, the fallout continued on Sunday when Kokkinakis almost came to blows during a heated match with American Ryan Harrison.

Kokkinakis' father Trevor told 891 ABC Adelaide the incident with Harrison was "bizarre".

"We tried to stay away from the whole matter [involving Kyrgios] and we thought look you know it's some rubbish we should not be involved in," Trevor Kokkinakis said.

"Thanasi should not be involved in it and he got dragged into it."

[Thanasi] Kokkinakis was furious with Harrison for sledging him about the whole sorry affair and on Monday agreed with calls for Harrison to be fined by the ATP, just as Kyrgios was.

"It's been interesting. It's been a circus," a mentally drained Kokkinakis said after rallying back from 3-0 down in the third set to beat Marsel Ilhan in the final round of qualifying at the Cincinnati Masters.

"I haven't gotten much sleep on the nights of the two incidents. Yeah, I didn't get much sleep last night either."

"But, luckily enough, I recovered and I'm playing a tournament at the moment, so I'm trying to focus on that and I'm happy I found a way to get the win."

Kokkinakis' 15th win from 16 qualifying matches in 2015 has left the 19-year-old and Kyrgios - former Australian Open and Wimbledon junior doubles winners together - within one win each of a potentially spicy second-round clash in Cincinnati...

Kokkinakis said he had been heartened by support in the locker room, where the youngster has quickly earned a reputation as a polite, respectful and good-natured personality on tour.

"Most of the guys have been pretty good, pretty much everyone," he said.

"They've been good to me and I don't think I'm in the wrong with anything.

"I'm getting advice from everyone: `Don't worry about it, do your thing'.

"But it's fine. I want to say some stuff, but I've got to keep it pretty low."
Thanasi tried the low profile route and said nothing, and had his reputation trampled on all over again as a result of Harrison's antics.

Particularly given the way the media have done him over, the ATP should perhaps take note...

·
Registered
24,804 Posts
who is Harrison?

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Good on him and yes the ATP need to take this as seriously as the Kyrgios incident, and should fine and warn him in kind.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
He should have been fined the day it happened. So many double standards. What Harrison did was worse than the little childish insult Kyrgios dished out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good he qualified to MD here, he need to gain some confidence and I think Fognini on fast hard may not even fight for anything if he go on court with bad mood.

These both situations in perspective of Kokkinakis are well-overreacted so I don't think that talking about it by himself will give him anything...

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
He should have been fined the day it happened. So many double standards. What Harrison did was worse than the little childish insult Kyrgios dished out.
really? for stepping up to the net and then after the match saying he wanted to punch the guy? grow up, he didn't punch him, end of story. and I saw the video and Kokkainakis actually goes forward and touches Harrison at one point. 'double standards' would apply in the Harrison / Kokk example if you find only Ryan to blame as well

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
really? for stepping up to the net and then after the match saying he wanted to punch the guy? grow up, he didn't punch him, end of story. and I saw the video and Kokkainakis actually goes forward and touches Harrison at one point. 'double standards' would apply in the Harrison / Kokk example if you find only Ryan to blame as well

Maybe he was "touching" Harrison like most players do when they beat someone and just wanted to say "you fought well". Anybody can tell that Kokk was not confrontational at all and did nothing wrong. Harrison grabbed his hand and jerked Kokk towards him so he could insult and then threaten him. He should have been fined right then. That's not cool.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Nobody needs to get fined. Both guys have given the cincy crowd one of the most entertaining qualifying matches this year. ATP should give them bonuses if anything.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My respect for Kokkinakis has improved hugely with this, he always seemed more subdued and he definitely appears to be a polite and dignified young player.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
who is Harrison?
From Wikipedia:

Ryan Harrison (born May 7, 1992) is an American professional tennis player. Part of a new generation of American players, his game fits the pattern, technically and strategically, of previous Bollettieri professionals, relying on a powerful attacking forehand and explosive serve to dominate play from the baseline. Considered a journeyman on the ATP Tour, Harrison reached an ATP ranking high of number 43 on July 16, 2012, but, with the exception of a few weeks' rankings, had fallen out of the top 100 by the middle of 2013. Pegged as the next big star of American tennis after his standout junior career, he has yet to break through in a Grand Slam, losing to top players in key early round matches and unable to reach the third round in any Grand Slam.
:bowdown: To whoever wrote this :rolls:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Kokk is right!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Indeed I'm curious how ATP will handle it.

Watch Harrison getting away with it and not getting punished.

(thereby proving that the measure against Kyrgios had nothing to do with applying rules or improving ATP players behaviour - it was a pure publicity/marketing/PR exercise & cowtowing to a witchhunt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Indeed I'm curious how ATP will handle it.

Watch Harrison getting away with it and not getting punished.

(thereby proving that the measure against Kyrgios had nothing to do with applying rules or improving ATP players behaviour - it was a pure publicity/marketing/PR exercise & cowtowing to a witchhunt
very easy to make excuses to not punish harrison.

-audio unclear
-less history of bad behaviour compared to kyrgios

i doubt harrison could afford a 10k fine anyway the way his career is going

1 - 20 of 23 Posts