Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was by far the best tennis match I've probably ever seen as far as just ridiculous winners. Imagine if every match was played indoors on this new surface? And some additional stuff to think about: This is the first dog of over 3.00+ to win in this tourney! What an effort by the German. Maybe we'll welcome a new threat to the tour this year.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
my only concern about this result is that all the bookies will have taken note of this result and although its not as good a win as they may think (we all know roddick isn't the player he used to be) his price will no doubt be a lot shorter for upcoming matches.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I predict an almighty collapse and slide back to reality for the German. His level of play tonight is simply impossible to sustain. Amazing, but I think he will be torn to shreds in the next round or two as we so often see after long upsets.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Phillip
Coolschreiber
Tennisgod !!!!!!!!!

He played by far better than ARod. This guy lives only from his serve. Amazing Performance by Kohli: 32 Aces - 33 Unforced Errors - 102 Winners !!!!!!!!

Amazing Kohli Amazing

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think theres any question that the numbers were a little inflated because of Roddick. Remember the 5 setter that Roddick played at Wimbledon last yeasr against Gasquet? That too ended in a 8-6 5th set win for Roddick. The "offensive" numbers against Roddick are obviously inflated. First of all, you're going to hit A LOT more winners when you're up against Roddick because as long as you're holding Serve, each set is probably going to have more than 10 games or so. That equals a TON of winners.

I think Kohli played this match very well. He blended in the patience to let Roddick miss with positioning Roddick and massaging the point till he got Roddcik in a position where he couldn't return the ball. That's another reason for tons of winners. Thats obviously not happening against Nieminen and obviously not against Nadal. Roddick's court coverage is comparable to that of Lindsay Davenport, probably when she's pregnant.

There's no question that now value won't really lie with Kohli as Daniel predicted. That's simply because now everyone's seen this guy and they think he's the next Djokovic, which definitely not true. Theres no question that this guy put together a simply brilliant match with a great game plan. But obviously theres also no question that people look a lot better against Roddick than they really are. I think Kohli will find a spot somewhere in the top 15-20, but theres no way he just became amazing all of a sudden.

BTW, did anyone see his akward motion after the failed used towel toss into the crowd? He's almost akwardly feminine. Does that kind of a guy have the gaal to be top 15 and succeed through the grind of the ATP season? We'll see.

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
GREAT CONGRATS to all Kohli backers

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
GREAT CONGRATS to all Kohli backers

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
And some additional stuff to think about: This is the first dog of over 3.00+ to win in this tourney!
Not sure what you're on about to be honest?

Hernandez was 5/1 to beat Minar. Tsonga 10/3 over Murray. Spadea 11/4 v Stepanek. Garcia-Lopez 10/3 over Chela. Querrey 11/4 over Tursunov. Gicquel 11/4 over Wawrinka.

These were all SPs on the men's side. Don't have the stats for women, but you can be sure there were even more, for example the Mauresmo match last night.

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
That was by far the best tennis match I've probably ever seen as far as just ridiculous winners. Imagine if every match was played indoors on this new surface? And some additional stuff to think about: This is the first dog of over 3.00+ to win in this tourney! What an effort by the German. Maybe we'll welcome a new threat to the tour this year.
1) There have been a few dog winners - Querrey vs Tursunov, Haase vs Ljubo, Tsonga vs Murray, Lee vs Guccione, GGL vs Chela, Spadea vs Stepanek, Koubek vs Moya.

2) I don't think it was that good a match as the quality was only coming from one side and it was perhaps a bit serve orientated at times.

3) Kohly has always been capable of producing matches like this but consistentcy is his problems and it wouldn't suprise anyone if he got gubbed by Niemo in the next round.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what you're on about to be honest?

Hernandez was 5/1 to beat Minar. Tsonga 10/3 over Murray. Spadea 11/4 v Stepanek. Garcia-Lopez 10/3 over Chela. Querrey 11/4 over Tursunov. Gicquel 11/4 over Wawrinka.

These were all SPs on the men's side. Don't have the stats for women, but you can be sure there were even more, for example the Mauresmo match last night.
Sorry about that. I meant +300 or higher which is the equivilent of 4.00 in Europe and I meant since the first round matchups. The last 3 days this has been the only upset over 4.00 which is pretty insane.

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
What an idiot Roddick was to the umpire,serious attitude problem

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i can recall spadea and haase were higher the 3/1

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
He was also blaming the crowd for noise pollution,mentioned have some CLASS :rolleyes:

Hey there m8, get my pm?

Was he really? well i'm glad he lost i dont mind the swearing and getting annoyed with yourself like most players do,but Roddick takes it to far sometimes theres no need for it

·
Registered
18,056 Posts
Hey there m8, get my pm?

Was he really? well i'm glad he lost i dont mind the swearing and getting annoyed with yourself like most players do,but Roddick takes it to far sometimes theres no need for it
Yeah,also alot of people think Roger is arrogant but then you look at all the other players who wished they had what Rogers has or atleast half of what he possess,Phoenomenen!!

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i can recall spadea and haase were higher the 3/1
Dont think Spadea was over 3-1, but my point is that this tournament has not been a host to any serious kind of upsets and that backing dogs so far in this tournament has been a losing proposition. Leave it to the useless bum Roddick to be the first to fall to a dog over 5.00. I think slowly though the tide will begin to turn because all of the remaining guys, probably with the exception of Spadea, have gone through some legitimate competition to get to where they are. By the way anyone have any idea when play will resume on the outer courts?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts