Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Re: Kohlschreiber defeats Ferrero 7-6, 7-5 to win Auckland

Say it whatever you want to say, Ferrero is history.

The forehand errors at 6:6 3-3 and 6:7 5:6* 40-30 show it.

Terrible shot selection by Ferrero in the most important points of the match.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
great match, great week, great Kohli!!! :woohoo:

Congrats to your 2nd title! :bowdown:

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
:bigcry:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kohlschreiber was about to choke in the 2nd set when he was up a break, serving for the match and 30-0. almost gave it away with a double fault at 30-30, allowing ferrero to get back into the match.

anyways, great week for kohli, and dare i say: i kinda predicted this all along... :D

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
From my point of view this results sucks , and I thought this was going to be day that Ferrero's title drought ended. Congratulations to Kohli though for winning his 2nd ATP title. He was the better player, and the more aggressive one at that. As many of us were saying on the Ferrero forum, JCF's tactic of receiving serve and then retreating further back was a silly one.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Oh, Ferrero. :(

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Wow, and then in two sets. Well done. :yeah:
Almost choked it away by hitting two dfs in a row.
But Ferrero helped him with those mishits.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
His hair cut was a great idea, though. He looks 5 years younger. I wish he played like he was 5 years younger. I foresee Kiefer doom in Melbourne. These Germans always beat my faves.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ferrero's title drought is approaching 51 months, and he has lost his last 6 ATP finals, and his last 14 sets in finals. Hopefully he can pick himself up for his very tricky 1st round tie against Kiefer at the Aussie Open.
Kohli has been excellent throughout the week, and well done to him for deservedly winning the title. Before this week, he had never reached an ATP level hardcourt semi-final.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Congrats to Kohli, a well deserved 2nd title.

It was very windy out there and it was going to be decided by the one who had more faith to hit through the tricky conditions. JCF just made a few too many miss-hits on crucial points and it was the only difference between them today.

The major turning point was at 3-2 in the TB, JCF a mini-break up, he thought he hit a good 1st serve but is was eventually ruled out. Kohli took advantage and was all over the 2nd serve keeping JCF on tha back foot for the rest of the point and the next few points.

JCF has plenty of chances to get back level in the 2nd set but by then his head had dropped and he never had the confidence to take advantage. He's still got a long way to go before he can strike the ball as confidently as did 5 years ago.

It's still been a good week for JCF although I know he'll get a lot of criticism for this title drought. Especially now becasue, with respect, Kohlschreiber is a step down from the opponents he lost to in his previous 5 finals. But he still is a very strong opponent and I don't think this title drought is the big deal that everyone makes it out to be. He's already proved that he can still play top tennis and get very good results at the major events. All that will matter for him at this stage of his career will be his performances at the majors and his year-end ranking. This has definitely been the most promising start he's had for a long time.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

It was very windy out there and it was going to be decided by the one who had more faith to hit through the tricky conditions. JCF just made a few too many miss-hits on crucial points and it was the only difference between them today.

The major turning point was at 3-2 in the TB, JCF a mini-break up, he thought he hit a good 1st serve but is was eventually ruled out. Kohli took advantage and was all over the 2nd serve keeping JCF on tha back foot for the rest of the point and the next few points.

JCF has plenty of chances to get back level in the 2nd set but by then his head had dropped and he never had the confidence to take advantage. He's still got a long way to go before he can strike the ball as confidently as did 5 years ago.

It's still been a good week for JCF although I know he'll get a lot of criticism for this title drought. Especially now becasue, with respect, Kohlschreiber is a step down from the opponents he lost to in his previous 5 finals. But he still is a very strong opponent and I don't think this title drought is the big deal that everyone makes it out to be. He's already proved that he can still play top tennis and get very good results at the major events. All that will matter for him at this stage of his career will be his performances at the majors and his year-end ranking. This has definitely been the most promising start he's had for a long time.
Excellent post :yeah:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Jeebus. I'd really liked JFC to take this title....

Well done, Kohli! :hatoff:
Sorry dear Mosquito... ! :hug:

·
Registered
83 Posts
After being away from tennis for a while, I was really pleased that Ferrero made it to the finals. This time, I had the feeling that he was actually going to win. I guess the drought continues...I wonder when it will ever end. Oh well, I guess this is a slightly better start to the season than previous years.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

Great post.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts