Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news with the passing of former United Nations leader Kofi Annan.
He will be remembered as a great diplomat for the UN, even after the debacles and failures of the UN, such as the disgraceful Rwandan and Bosnian genocides on the 90's.
However his impact and legacy will live on.
The previously ineffectual United Nations can thank him for his contributions.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
RIP
But UN GS is just a chief bureaucrat, not wielding any real power on his own.
Also OP, why speak about things you know nothing about? Comparing 500.000 to 1.000.000. dead estimate in Rwanda with civil war in Yugoslavia? Bizarre.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Just because it's civil war doesn't mean it's ok to kill civilians and POWs.
No Genocide happened in Bosnia. Civil wars are ugly, specially when outside forces meddle in to achieve their own goals. You can call genocide what happened to Native Americans (but eradication is a better term), Armenians, Jews/Serbs/Roma/Russians in WWII. Calling any war crime in Bosnia genocide is an insult to real genocides that have happened during history.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
No Genocide happened in Bosnia. Civil wars are ugly, specially when outside forces meddle in to achieve their own goals. You can call genocide what happened to Native Americans (but eradication is a better term), Armenians, Jews/Serbs/Roma/Russians in WWII. Calling any war crime in Bosnia genocide is an insult to real genocides that have happened during history.
The fact is thousands of people were executed then, and to the victims terminology means zilch.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
The fact is thousands of people were executed then, and to the victims terminology means zilch.
Watch Hague trials, specially ones when Dutch general/major from Srebrenica testifies. There we 10.000 armed Muslims in "de-militarized" zone. About 4.000 died trying to fight through to Tuzla, all male soldiers. They were all buried as victims of "genocide". Watch Olla Flium's documentary "Srebrenica, the town betrayed". Muslim major of Srebrenica at that time says Izetbegovic told him they made a deal with Clinton to set up 5000 people to die in Srebrenica, which would justify Nato bombing Serbs and allow Muslims to take more territory. Dead maybe don't care about terminology but "genocide" is pushed for political purposes only and it would be tragic if we let that stigma be put on us.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Watch Hague trials, specially ones when Dutch general/major from Srebrenica testifies. There we 10.000 armed Muslims in "de-militarized" zone. About 4.000 died trying to fight through to Tuzla, all male soldiers. They were all buried as victims of "genocide". Watch Olla Flium's documentary "Srebrenica, the town betrayed". Muslim major of Srebrenica at that time says Izetbegovic told him they made a deal with Clinton to set up 5000 people to die in Srebrenica, which would justify Nato bombing Serbs and allow Muslims to take more territory. Dead maybe don't care about terminology but "genocide" is pushed for political purposes only and it would be tragic if we let that stigma be put on us.
Maybe you watch Mladic say "We have finally had our revenge". As for the stigma, it may only lay on the criminals who committed those atrocities, and their supporters and indeed they should be stigmatised for eternity, I for one have no intention letting them hide behind the collective "us" - I have nothing to do with them / may all rot in hell.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Maybe you watch Mladic say "We have finally had our revenge". As for the stigma, it may only lay on the criminals who committed those atrocities, and their supporters and indeed they should be stigmatised for eternity, I for one have no intention letting them hide behind the collective "us" - I have nothing to do with them / may all rot in hell.
That proves nothing. Tabloid level proof. "We will have our revenge" said by a general Mladic can mean many other things other than execution of pow. We will have our revenge in combat for one, as can actually be normal and suitable for real army general. Just because you ate up all the propaganda, while researching zero on your own, you think it's ok to damn someone "to eternity".

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
That proves nothing. Tabloid level proof. "We will have our revenge" said by a general Mladic can mean many other things other than execution of pow. We will have our revenge in combat for one, as can actually be normal and suitable for real army general. Just because you ate up all the propaganda, while researching zero on your own, you think it's ok to damn someone "to eternity".
Anyone who witnessed the 90s knows exactly what he meant. You can go ahead and research Youtube all you want. I don't need Malagurski and idiots like him (bs journalists) to tell me what to think. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Anyone who witnessed the 90s knows exactly what he meant. You can go ahead and research Youtube all you want. I don't need Malagurski and idiots like him (bs journalists) to tell me what to think. :shrug:
No one even mentioned Malagurski. I told you to listen what Duch general commander of UN troops in Srebrenica testifies in Hague trial and what Muslim major of Srebrenica says in documentary produced by unbiased Muslim/Norwegian cooperation.
You can of course think what ever you want, but it's a conjecture at best. I don't blame you though, since I started researching Yu war completely convinced that Serbs were guilty for war and that Mladic/Milosevic/Karadzic are monsters.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
No one even mentioned Malagurski. I told you to listen what Duch general commander of UN troops in Srebrenica testifies in Hague trial and what Muslim major of Srebrenica says in documentary produced by unbiased Muslim/Norwegian cooperation.
You can of course think what ever you want, but it's a conjecture at best. I don't blame you though, since I started researching Yu war completely convinced that Serbs were guilty for war and that Mladic/Milosevic/Karadzic are monsters.
Well, they were/are monsters. Whatever schemes or deals were running in the background, somebody still had to pull the trigger and kill the people and they sure did that.

·
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can define "genocide" how you want, and many of us lived through the 90s and have our own opinions.
However, the UN were abject failures on many fronts in the 90s, including the former Yugoslavia.
Kofi gave the UN some legitimacy and authority.
And on the original topic, Kofi had his own views on many issues, and even described the 2nd Gulf War as illegal, so he was not simply a puppet or bureaucrat.
A good recent tribute:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/19/kofi-annan-obituary

·
10,272 Posts
He did so much for the country I was just in. Really a sad loss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts