Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, haters, I challenge you to integrate your respect for the opinion of guys like Koenig with your blind hatred for Nadal.

"He gets paid to say that"
"It's his job"

ETC.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Perhaps if he went to the net more than 3 times a match someone would else have noticed it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I give him enough credit for the ass-picking. Enough is enough. :tape:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Neither does Djokovic, me sayeth! ;) :D

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I only see him volleying a point that is 90% won already. He's steady on those situations (even there many players fail sometimes), but that's just it.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
I'm not his fan, but his BH volley is one of the best on Tour. It's just that he goes to the net so rare, that few people notice.
:haha: It's more like, he only goes to the net for very easy putaways.

He's not a terrible volleyer but many times per match he hits very heavy handed volleys. Nadal's game is about big safety margins, that goes for his net play as well.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
He got good volleys but when his FH is working, its so dominant and secure that maybe there is no point going to the net, when his FH crosscourts and serves to the adcourt can set up a banana FH down the line without giving his opponent anywhere to go.

When his FH is not working its probably difficult for him to set up volleys to begin with.

In any case, I agree that he has good touch and good volleying skills. His smash is also absolutely top notch, which sets him apart from Djokovic and Murray.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Overhyping Nadal, when he is on his way out. Nothing new.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I applaud the thoughtful conversation herein!

Agree that Nadal relies on margin in all aspects of his game, and his volleys are no exception. While he tends only to volley when finishing points, I contend he also has great hands (see his dropshots eg) which he often isn't credited for given his bludgeoning style.

Deft volleys and rock solid overheads also point to great court positioning, footwork and acceleration, and of course mental stability in finishing points.

Risk and flair in tennis are not all they are cracked up to be... :)

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Koenig was talking about Nadal's volley as a finishing shot specifically.

Something else he said earlier in the match which I liked: slow hard courts and modern racquet technology together give baseline players overwhelmingly unfair advantage against net players. Tennis is not only about one playing style, yet the conditions make it so that only one type of player (baseline) can succeed in the modern game. He noted a few events (Toronto, Cincinnati) which are actively speeding up their courts so that net players can have more success.

·
Registered
60,670 Posts
He only volleys when he has an easy putaway. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Koenig was talking about Nadal's volley as a finishing shot specifically.

Something else he said earlier in the match which I liked: slow hard courts and modern racquet technology together give baseline players overwhelmingly unfair advantage against net players. Tennis is not only about one playing style, yet the conditions make it so that only one type of player (baseline) can succeed in the modern game. He noted a few events (Toronto, Cincinnati) which are actively speeding up their courts so that net players can have more success.
What people around here do not understand is that raquet technology makes up 75% of the equation. Slower surfaces are almost a nonfactor.

In the 90s you could go to Monte Carlo finals serve and volleying (Becker had 2 match points to win the tournament against Muster in the final), today you cant even get to a Wimbledon final serve and volleying.

Surface speed is secondary, raquets producing almost 5000 rpm makes netrushing a pure kamikaze strategy.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
:haha: It's more like, he only goes to the net for very easy putaways.

He's not a terrible volleyer but many times per match he hits very heavy handed volleys. Nadal's game is about big safety margins, that goes for his net play as well.
So you're saying he's a smart tennis player?

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Why would he? They are pedestrian.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
average at best

SP just them a perfect example

testing volley, dumped into net

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
He only volleys when he has an easy putaway. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either.
This.

I think what people take issue with is when you get deranged rantings from the likes of McEnroe about how he's the best volleyer on tour. Which is obviously laughable.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Once again, haters, I challenge you to integrate your respect for the opinion of guys like Koenig with your blind hatred for Nadal.

"He gets paid to say that"
"It's his job"

ETC.

Who says any of us have respect for Koenig, whether we hate Nadal or not? The guy's a total boob. And he sniffs Nadal's ass as if it is his job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts