Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big choke by Feli.

He is up **3:2 in the TB, double faults and loses 3-7...

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Actually not a choke by LaLo.

Seppi was up 5-1 in the first set, then went off for rain and lost the next 6 games in a row to lose the first set.

Seppi wakes up and wins the 2nd easily and the better player won a match that should have never got to a 3rd set.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hell, if I were Feli, I'd just be proud that the damn match went to 3 sets. It really shouldn't have. He was down 1-5 in the first set before coming back to win 7-5. That's embarrassing, I don't care who your opponent is. Dude was probably tired after Stuttgart. Can you remember the last time Feliciano Lopez had to play 4 matches in a row? Me neither.

Congrats Seppi.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually not a choke by LaLo.
The guy is in front of the third set TB, double faults and doesn't win a single point after that and it's not a choke? :rolleyes:

Seppi choked before, but it doesn't mean that Feli didn't choke in the end...

·
124,507 Posts
The guy is in front of the third set TB, double faults and doesn't win a single point after that and it's not a choke? :rolleyes:

Seppi choked before, but it doesn't mean that Feli didn't choke in the end...
1 break point ahead in a TB. If you are serious, then this match should not have gone 3 sets.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 break point ahead in a TB. If you are serious, then this match should not have gone 3 sets.
Of course Seppi should have won this 6:1 6:0. Period.

But he didn't and Feli had a good chance of winning the match when he was up **3:2 in the TB. And instead of serving well to give himself the 5:2 lead in the TB, he double faulted in the first point and served a weak second serve in the second point. After that he lost the following three points and the match.

My definition of choke is when a player finds himself on a winnable position and screws everything. Feli was in a winnable position (one set all, up a mini break in the third set tie-break) and screwed everything.

·
124,507 Posts
Of course Seppi should have won this 6:1 6:0. Period.

But he didn't and Feli had a good chance of winning the match when he was up **3:2 in the TB. And instead of serving well to give himself the 5:2 lead in the TB, he double faulted in the first point and served a weak second serve in the second point. After that he lost the following three points and the match.

My definition of choke is when a player finds himself on a winnable position and screws everything. Feli was in a winnable position (one set all, up a mini break in the third set tie-break) and screwed everything.
I point up in a tiebreaker is not a choke, if it was 5-1 then I'd be convinced, what and Seppi didn't make an error in the early part of the tiebreak, is that down to a choke as well?

Never thought Seppi might have played the big points better, unusual as that is to say.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Well done to Seppi. I did fear for him after the disastrous start he made following that lengthy rain delay, but regaining his composure to warm up a tasty Italian-style bagel for his opponent was just brilliant.

·
124,507 Posts
Well done to Seppi. I did fear for him after the disastrous start he made following that length rain delay, but regaining his composure to warm up a tasty Italian-style bagel for his opponent was just brilliant.
As Sylvester said this should have been 6-1 6-0, not sure what Seppi was doing after that rain delay, must have had too many strudels.

He plays Ferrero next.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I point up in a tiebreaker is not a choke, if it was 5-1 then I'd be convinced, what and Seppi didn't make an error in the early part of the tiebreak, is that down to a choke as well?

Never thought Seppi might have played the big points better, unusual as that is to say.
It's not a question of being a tie break. It's a question that it was a very important point and Lopez instead of serving well, double faulted.

It's kinda normal to commit unforced errors. The only unforced error that is really stupid on such a important point is a double fault, where you can take the time you want to serve, you aren't moving, your opponent is just waiting to return the ball, it's not that hard to put the ball in play, isn't it?

(Unless you have a wife called Carla :p )

Seppi was the deserved winner, of course btw.

·
124,507 Posts
It's not a question of being a tie break. It's a question that it was a very important point and Lopez instead of serving well, double faulted.

It's kinda normal to commit unforced errors. The only unforced error that is really stupid on such a important point is a double fault, where you can take the time you want to serve, you aren't moving, your opponent is just waiting to return the ball, it's not that hard to put the ball in play, isn't it?

(Unless you have a wife called Carla :p )

Seppi was the deserved winner, of course btw.
Yes, it depends on the time when a player serves a double fault, this is true, it's not like LaLo wasn't due for a double, both of them had served well in that 3rd set.

An unforced error is an unforced error, some are just more costly more than others, you were making it out that Seppi only won cause LaLo choked, though you do acknowledge that Seppi was too good eventually and it wasn't cause of a choke.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Seppi should never lose the 1st set, surprising that Lalo almost won in the 3rd, typically he would give up after getting axed in the 2nd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts