Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good thing he served first in the third because if he had to serve for it, he'd have folded.
Up and down match, Thiem is still not consistent enough.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
Well, he won that match without a first serve and a decent return.

Some good groundstrokes, but also soooo many unforced errors. The most important thing is that he was really clutch at the crucial points, despite some choking.

That dropshot at 6-5* 30-0 :worship:

He is tired at the moment and far away from his best, but a win is a win. I hope he gets some confidence now, although he played really bad.

Souza is a true fighter, I like him :worship:

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
He was so bad that I almost started to root for Souza :lol:

Souza played really well, he deserved a win.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
the serve :( at least Dominic won, roll on... (but it won't be enough against Vesely, that's for sure)

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Yep, Thiem is still not consistent enough. And it's normal, this is only his first full year playing ATP events. Serve is easily readable, also he oftens return too deep and the forehand is too loose, those are the areas he needs to improve the most IMO.

As for Souza, same as usual. Serve is still his only real weapon (and it's inconsistent, specially in the end of the sets), although he improved his terrible backhand a bit. Fitness remains a issue too. He probably will be back to the TOP 100 in the next couple weeks, but not much upside really. His ceiling is top 80 at most.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
Yep, Thiem is still not consistent enough. And it's normal, this is only his first full year playing ATP events. Serve is easily readable, also he oftens return too deep and the forehand is too loose, those are the areas he needs to improve the most IMO.

As for Souza, same as usual. Serve is still his only real weapon (and it's inconsistent, specially in the end of the sets), although he improved his terrible backhand a bit. Fitness remains a issue too. He probably will be back to the TOP 100 in the next couple weeks, but not much upside really. His ceiling is top 80 at most.
I think Souza had pretty good groundstrokes too today.

·
Registered
26,080 Posts
Thiem's bh is still a weakness. He should move closer to the baseline and play more slice, but keep attacking with the fh as much as possible, as it's a weapon.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Thiem looked very poor here, not complaining as he brought up my accumulator, but Souza unlucky to lose this one. Best player on the day lost if I'm honest.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That was one messy match from Dominic. Good that he still won. :yeah:

Those 3 DFs in a row... :tape:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Obviously the ROS is still a problem but above all you can see that Domi is tired as he said some days ago. He doesn't hit the majority of his shots with the same intensity he had at the beginning of the year.

Nonetheless it's a very important win for his morale, and Souza in altitude tournaments isn't a cakewalk.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
It's still the infection and subsequent weight loss, IMO. He was so strong physically before that happened, I think it will take him until the off-season to fully recover from that.

·
10,284 Posts
Idk what match everyone was watching, but I thought Thiem played pretty well.

Obviously this performance would have not cut it if he would have played against a Top 20 player, but you have to admit that he was pretty damn clutch.

Hit some blistering winners when it mattered most.

Onwards and Upwards to the Great:

Iron Ears of Austria

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thiem played a lot of great points and made some fantastic winners, but way too inconsistent today.

Souza has improved his backhand a lot since I first saw him play 5 years ago or so, but his movement is still far from tour level. Serve and forehand are big weapons, but he was very passive on big points today. It did work out on many occasions , but the best players make their own luck.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Not a great match but at least Thiem found a way to win it. What has happened to Kitzbühel? It used to be a good tournament but if the Austrian #1 can't pull in more than a handful of spectators, the tournament is in trouble. I was surprised how empty the stands were.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Too inconsistent from Thiem out there, he desperately needs to work on his serve. Without a great serve you ain't beating the Big 4, let alone half the players in the top 30. Very fortunate to come away with the victory today, here's to hoping he can string something together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts