Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about Kermode replacement? What good has been done under his presidency, and why do players want to replace him?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
What do you guys think about Kermode replacement? What good has been done under his presidency, and why do players want to replace him?
Djokovic Pospisil and Gimelstob were the one campaigning against him and in January 6 out of 10 players from the Player Council voted against him but I forgot the list (lots of US players).

Pospisil and Gimelstob are asking for more money Distributed to the 50th-250th players.

Djokovic Simply wants the end of the ATP Board with a player Union independant from ATP because he thinks 3 votes for players and 3 votes for Director Tournaments does not give enough power to players in negociations with Tournaments.
Some said he wants the end of Bo18 ranking.

Unofficially it was said Nole is close to Australian Open Director Craig Tiley who is said to become Kermode successor and they planned Masters to move to Asia.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Djokovic Pospisil and Gimelstob were the one campaigning against him and in January 6 out of 10 players from the Player Council voted against him but I forgot the list (lots of US players).

Pospisil and Gimelstob are asking for more money Distributed to the 50th-250th players.

Djokovic Simply wants the end of the ATP Board with a player Union independant from ATP because he thinks 3 votes for players and 3 votes for Director Tournaments does not give enough power to players in negociations with Tournaments.

Unofficially it was said Nole is close to Australian Open Director Craig Tiley who is said to become Kermode successor and they planned Masters to move to Asia.
Have they said any of these things officially on the record anywhere? What does he want to replace the Bo18 ranking with? Which Masters?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Wow I’m glad I only care about the sport itself and don’t give a shit about the surroundings that have no direct influence on the game or on the fans...

Heck, I didn’t even know that the ATP had a president let alone who Chris Kermode is, until he was mentioned a few months ago on here...

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts

Thanks for all the great info mate

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Have they said any of these things officially on the record anywhere? What does he want to replace the Bo18 ranking with? Which Masters?
TBH I am just a fan like you, I have no connection with ATP or Djokovic, just read what journalists printed about it or what they mentionned.

Of course, it is highly politics and gossiping to destroy reputations, and sports journalists often write about facts and rumors at the same level so that is why I wrote some said and there is probably a lot of things to sort out.

You can read things like : players just want more money or Djokovic wants more money for himself; players want more money or want to play where and when they want to play unless they got more money.
But it sounds more like the words of Tournament Directors in ATP (because they have a lot to loose if Players create some Union freed from ATP) because those words are often mentionned with others like : Tournaments are not winning money or 250 does not have enough crowd attendance or players have no idea what Buisiness is.

But things are politics as anyway 250 are not involved with Bo18 that much. They put all players in the same bag when some are rich and just want to master their agenda and their life, and others are suffering from the lack of money (compared to expenses of a nowaday staff) you get when ranked 50th - 250th or lower (but then it is no more an ATP problem but ITF and I do not know if ITF players are still voting to choose Player Council or not).

From the sources that seem more fair sounds like Bo18 is the problem for players because they have to play everywhere and they just want to choose where they play when Directors want big players in their tournaments.
TBH I do not know if it is because of top players aging or Bo18 itself but there are far more long injuries in top players since Bo18.

To answer your question, I guess one option is to come back to old ranking when you can play where you want.
ATP sold Bo18 like a fair ranking but in fact with penalties it is a way to bound top 30 into playing every big tournament. Finally it is kind of Insurance for Tournament Directors they can Promote their Tournament with all the Bests.

Then if I am not wrong, only Djokovic is top 30 in Player Council so others are not that concerned, doubt it was the main Reason of Kermode being fired.

When I mentionned Masters I meant WTF. Kermode was British and probably one of those who support WTF in London but once again it could be journalist gossiping that was why I wrote "some said"

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
this was posted by freelance journalist David Avakian (Davavaki on twitter)

As Knez said above, we shouldn't forget that it's not all about what the players want and their votes -- the ATP Tournament council has big say in things as well.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Here is the statement from the tournament council (via Ben Rothenberg twitter)

They are saying they're disappointed, but you never know -- didn't something similar happen with the Davis Cup vote last year? Some national federations were saying one thing publicly, but then voted another way when decision-time came.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
wow, thanks for that letter from Pospisil, Jennipeg -- very interesting.

A while back there were suggestions that the players should form a players' union. Then it would be like other sports leagues - like in basketball and hockey. Pospisil's letter brings that up but then seems to suggest he wants to keep everything within the same organization, just change the power balance. Not sure if that's possible...

Some of the shady remarks online and innuendo from tennis journos and other insiders: saying someone is "greedy" or doesn't care about the lower-ranked players, or doesn't understand business -- but never explaining what exactly they mean by those remarks. I feel like we keep getting snippets of info but never the full picture.

·
Registered
956 Posts
They had a vote, the outcome is clear and Kermode and those who are behind him will have to accept and move on. A lot of good has happened in the last few years in our sport but a lot of bad too.

I'm afraid to say but the dispute around the David Cup, the introduction of the Laver Cup and the pretty pointless Next Gen hype train are all under Kermode's leadership and I'm glad he's having to pay the price. Other should too as well.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
They had a vote, the outcome is clear and Kermode and those who are behind him will have to accept and move on. A lot of good has happened in the last few years in our sport but a lot of bad too.

I'm afraid to say but the dispute around the David Cup, the introduction of the Laver Cup and the pretty pointless Next Gen hype train are all under Kermode's leadership and I'm glad he's having to pay the price. Other should too as well.
Why should the Laver Cup be a reason for him to lose his job?

·
Registered
956 Posts
A selection of top players went to play a glorified exhibition and are trying to make it into a "Ryder Cup" thing. We already have enough headaches with the Davis Cup and the scheduling of it, how could he allow something else to be conjured up under his watch.

I'm not a business man, but even I know the Laver Cup is not good for the tour as a seperate entity.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
A selection of top players went to play a glorified exhibition and are trying to make it into a "Ryder Cup" thing. We already have enough headaches with the Davis Cup and the scheduling of it, how could he allow something else to be conjured up under his watch.

I'm not a business man, but even I know the Laver Cup is not good for the tour as a seperate entity.
What makes you think he had any power to prevent its creation?

·
Registered
956 Posts
What makes you think he had any power to prevent its creation?
That's precisely the point. If he didn't have the power as the president of the atp, then clearly something is going wrong.

I liked the guy, thought he did a lot of good, but unfortunately the last couple of years became a shambles. The decision to keep renewing the O2 contract for the WTF is another brainless one. He was in charge when this was happening.

I hope the next ATP president cuts out the crap and get's the tour back to where it should be.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Kermode is a crook and his replacement will be a crook as well

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That's precisely the point. If he didn't have the power as the president of the atp, then clearly something is going wrong.
It's completely outside the ATP. I'd be more concerned if he did somehow have the power to stop it because I'd say he'd be overstepping. Are you suggesting that players should not be allowed to participate in any events that aren't controlled by the ATP?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts