Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kei Nishikori says he respects quarter-final opponent Andy Murray’s achievements in the game but says he will not fear the Scot when they meet in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Wednesday

The Japanese star has been one of the surprise packages of the tournament and there are plenty of tennis betting offers predicting further progress.

But he believes his performances have proved he belongs amongst the game’s elite and is promising to play the match of his life against Murray.
The 24th seed is only the second Japanese player to reach the last eight of a Grand Slam and has already beaten Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the tournament.

Nishikori has lived in Florida since he was 14 and has previously showed signs of breaking through but has been plagued with an elbow problem.
The 22-year-old has jumped over 300 places in the rankings since the end of 2009 and less than three months ago beat both Tomas Berdych and world number one Novak Djokovic.

However, he regards his match against world number four Murray as the biggest test of his live tennis career so far but says he is relishing the chance of testing himself against one of the game’s top players on possibly the biggest stage of all.''For sure,'' Nishikori said.

“'This is first quarter-final for me, so I feel I'm stepping up. But I have no pressure.''I will be playing for everything … for my life.''
Murray himself has already lost two Australian Open titles so you’d think he’d be confident going into the match. However, he says he’ll certainly not be complacent and knows exactly what to expect for the Asian star.

''He's very good … very deceptive,'' Murray said. “For somebody that's not the tallest guy, he creates a lot of power from the back of the court. '
'He deals with pace well, he can slice, he moves well.''

1 - 1 of 1 Posts