Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching with interest how Nishikori will perform at IW. Yesterday he beat Bogdanovic, albeit with great difficulty. I hope he does well. If anyone sees him live could you please give us the lowdown? He has another qualifier match today...

Good luck Kei!

PS – a message for the fellow MTFer "RickDaStick": even if this thread rates highly on your 'gay threads' scale there's no need to send me another message to call me 'queer'. Your message as well as the fact that you are a real man have been well received.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
And back to Kei because that's what this thread is about -- or is it?

Anyway, Kei could have won that match handily since he was up two breaks in the second set. He just lost focus and concentration with that big a lead and then got down on him self and felt tired after he lost the set. When he had to, he dug in and fought back and won. He's still young and learning. Sometimes we expect too much from these young ones. Also, I think the qualifying rounds are really tough at this tournament. The guys are just scraping and fighting for the wins. It means so much to them.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
lol Sounds like Jerry. I think..? I could be wrong.

Anyway, I wouldnt call Kei a young gun yet. He has won one title..big deal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nishikori doesn't seem to have the Nadal/Hewitt mental that led them to success very early. He is still vulnerable to lesser players but I think he can challenge the good ones too. Delray wasn't a fluke in my opinion.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If he meets Paradorn during Paradorn is in top form, he will lose to Paradorn certainly because Paradorn has better strong mental than him.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And back to Kei because that's what this thread is about -- or is it?

Anyway, Kei could have won that match handily since he was up two breaks in the second set. He just lost focus and concentration with that big a lead and then got down on him self and felt tired after he lost the set. When he had to, he dug in and fought back and won. He's still young and learning. Sometimes we expect too much from these young ones. Also, I think the qualifying rounds are really tough at this tournament. The guys are just scraping and fighting for the wins. It means so much to them.
Yes this thread is about Kei ;). He's facing Niemeyer today. And I think you are right that the qualifying rounds are really tough at this tournament. I also think that he may perform better in the 'real draw' had he managed to reach it

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If he meets Paradorn during Paradorn is in top form, he will lose to Paradorn certainly because Paradorn has better strong mental than him.
Paradorn?

·
Banned
59,367 Posts
I wouldnt call his performance against boggy a major dissapointment, boggy has improved abit from last year and has brad gilbert as coach.

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
I wouldnt call his performance against boggy a major dissapointment, boggy has improved abit from last year and has brad gilbert as coach.
Kei lead with the double break in set 2, but gave it away; I think this can be called a bit disappointing, not the fact that he lost a set, but the way he lost it ;)

btw. love the ps in the opening thread:worship:

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
oh well, if you get disappointed with a young player losing focus when he's ahead and then getting down on himself for doing so, you'll have a lot of disappointments in tennis. He made a rookie mistake. The amount of concentration needed and the need to put the knife in an opponent at this level can easily be underestimated. Kei is still on a learning curve. I'm not going to get disappointed for him being a youngster who still has a lot to learn. He still needs a bigger serve in my opinion if he wants to be able to compete at the very top levels of the game. He's an appealing youngster, but I'm not ready to annoint him as the second coming quite yet. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh well, if you get disappointed with a young player losing focus when he's ahead and then getting down on himself for doing so, you'll have a lot of disappointments in tennis. He made a rookie mistake. The amount of concentration needed and the need to put the knife in an opponent at this level can easily be underestimated. Kei is still on a learning curve. I'm not going to get disappointed for him being a youngster who still has a lot to learn. He still needs a bigger serve in my opinion if he wants to be able to compete at the very top levels of the game. He's an appealing youngster, but I'm not ready to annoint him as the second coming quite yet. :)
Well he did the opposite yesterday. He was down but determination helped him. I thought we were going to lose him at this early stage. So... still keeping an eye on him. Quite exciting really!

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
Watching with interest how Nishikori will perform at IW. Yesterday he beat Bogdanovic, albeit with great difficulty. I hope he does well. If anyone sees him live could you please give us the lowdown? He has another qualifier match today...

Good luck Kei!

PS – a message for the fellow MTFer "RickDaStick": even if this thread rates highly on your 'gay threads' scale there's no need to send me another message to call me 'queer'. Your message as well as the fact that you are a real man have been well received.
Give me a break..... you started a thread asking about Andy Roddick's BALLS. And the only reason I gave you a bad rep is because I figured you were a troll since it was one of your 1st posts. I am sorry and I will good rep you when i can to offset the bad rep:wavey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts