Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Re: KarolBeckFan in the Big City - Day 1 (Double your pleasure! Day 2 added!)

Fee said:
of course I know that! silly rabbit...

Socket, I should put you over my knee and give you a spanking for those comments, smarty pants! :p
:p :p :p

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

KarolBeckFan said:
It's supposed to be like 95 and muggy tomorrow, too.
Same forecast as here in Cincinnati. :p Can't wait to see who's the first player to melt on court in about 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Where are you from BTW? This heatwave is nothing new but perhaps last summer was unseasonably cold in my opinion. I've lived my entire life in S. Ohio except my stint in England so I have seen more than a few summers just like this one.

Aren't there water fountains at the tourney? For Cincy I always bring a water bottle with me full of cold water and then I refill it all day.

Thanks for sharing! I got my fair share of looks when I was cheering for Moya when he played Agassi last year in Cincy. ;)

·
Registered
4,786 Posts

LaTenista said:
Aren't there water fountains at the tourney? For Cincy I always bring a water bottle with me full of cold water and then I refill it all day.
Actually, I remember seeing a sign on one of the fountains, that because of a lead scare in the water supply, the fountain was turned off. A lot of DC has issues with lead water pipes. I drink only out of a bottled water cooler at work.

·
Registered
3 Posts

As you can see, I don't post all that much! But as someone who's lived in DC for almost 20 years, I'm enjoying reading this as well. I'm going to the tournament tomorrow and Saturday. 4th year in a row and 6th time overall. It's supposed to be 97 with a heat index of who knows what. And of all those times I've gone, this will only be the second time that the heat will be scary. I remember one year when a couple players vomited on court because of the heat. Hope I don't see that.

I remember the very first time I went, I saw the day semi-final between Wayne Ferreira and Renzo Furlan (ouch...am I old?). I also remember that I got a very bad sunburn on my scalp. That has not happened again.

Anyway, I love my local tournament, think the setting in Rock Creek Park is beautiful, and love the smallness of center court -- there are no bad seats. And I only live a mile from the tennis center! So welcome to everyone visiting DC for this. :wavey:

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts

Hi karenk! You should post more often:D

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Re: KarolBeckFan in the Big City - Day 1

:lol: nice for you scottso :yeah: :D :)
KarolBeckFan said:
Oh and Becca, I couldn't get close enough to Mahut to give him your message, but hopefully he won't bail and I'll see him around to convey it for you.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

smucav said:
I thought today was a fairly mild day weather-wise. Nothing like the month long heatwave that ended last Thursday.
It may not have been the hottest day ever, but if you think it was mild, you're insane.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

LaTenista said:
Same forecast as here in Cincinnati. :p Can't wait to see who's the first player to melt on court in about 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Where are you from BTW?
I'm from Virginia... but there's nothing to do outside really were I'm from... so we aren't subjected to such temperatures.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Thanks for the post karen :) It's been pretty hot this week, but so far I haven't witnessed any players blowing chunks. Blowing leads, yes, but chunks, no.

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

I spent my last night at the tournament tonight, for this year at least. I enjoyed being there, but I didn't leave in a very good mood. Today just wasn't a good day as far as tennis goes. At least it wasn't quite as hot as yesterday, at least it didn't seem to be.

I'm really tired right now because I spent so long there and the trip back to where I'm staying and all... so I'm going to just type this really fast and ignore any errors I might potentially make.

I really learned two things today. 1) I hate Robby Ginepri. 2) I'm seriously bad luck... majorly, awfully bad.

Okay, so I don't really hate Robby Ginepri, but we all know why I'm angry with him right now. The bad luck thing is true, every match that I really sat through, the player I wanted to win lost. It was awful. :sad:

Okay, so I got to the tournament site at about 2:40pm... and I watched (brace yourself, Becs!) none other than NICOLAS MAHUT. This happened for about 20 minutes and then I was allowed to enter. Next year I must find a way to get credentials.

I had promised Becca that I would convey a message to her Nicolas for her, so I waited around and watched him practice a bit more. All I have to say is that that kid is a bad egg. He's a major brat. He spent the last 10 minutes on court just yelling at his coach. (In French, so don't ask me what it was about.) He just seemed like such a brat. Still, I made a promise, so when he left the court I tried to get his attention to talk to him. He stopped for a minute, looked at me, and then kept on walking. He's definitely off my favorites list. Hopefully he was just having a bad day, but it still wasn't a fun experience for me.

After that I watched Elena Baltacha hit with Mathilde Johansson for a little while, and then I moved over to where the guys were and watched Dominik Hrbaty practicing. I honestly forget what I did after that, I wasn't really paying much attention to things... I just made sure that I was on the grandstand court well before 4:00 so I could get a good seat for Karol Beck's match against Robby Ginepri.

I did get a good seat, but nothing else went well. Karol was just pretty bad from the start. I think he was broken in the first game and he just seemed defeated from that point on. I was proud of him, because he never slammed his racquet, even though he obviously thought about it a few times. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't seem to put up much of a fight. It was just a really erratic match. Karol lost it. :crying2: It was pretty unimpressive. Still, I adore Karol and it was nice to get to see him play singles. He's had a terrible year, and it just keeps getting worse. Hopefully next year will be better for Kare Bear! :bounce:

After that disappointment, I looked in on Richard Bloomfield and Arnaud Clement... Richard was putting up a pretty good fight and was gaining himself some fans around there. He looked like a baby, though. I walked off to try to go catch some of Anne Keothavong against Maria Fernanda Alves. Alves is EXTREMELY pretty. Still, the practice match going on behind me grabbed my attention more so I walked over there. I'm not really sure who the one guy was, but there was a really cute blonde Australian that was just totally hamming it up. I must have watched him for half an hour. Studmuffin, truly. I looked at Jenny Hopkins jump rope for a few minutes (a much more impressive site than it sounds) and then walked back over to see the tiebreak of Bloomfield and Clement. Bloomfield never really let up but he sadly lost the match in the third set tiebreak. Too bad, I was impressed with him. Not a lot of power, but he knew how to place the ball really well. He was nice, too. He still stopped for fans even after losing a heartbreaker! Clement was, of course, mobbed by fans for a long time. Even after he left the court and started talking on his cell phone, people still came to him for autographs... which he accomodated. Good multitasker.

Then there was DOMINIK! He really ruined everything for me, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Not only did he lose in the third set tiebreak, but his match was so long (nearly 3 hours) that I missed out on seeing any of Brian Baker and some of the other players that I wanted to see. Poor Dominik, I cheered for him for the entire match (along with his camp and a couple from the Czech Republic who were sitting beside me), but it wasn't enough to get him the win. His groundstrokes... wow. All I can say is wow. He's so consistant and hits his forehand and backhand with such amazing pace and accuracy. He had Horna running around from side to side for the entire match. Horna pretty much dominated and served for the match at 6-4 5-4... but Dominik broke back (he eventually won the set in a tiebreak). It was the one point that the crowd really seemed to get behind Dominik, but I don't understand why they didn't support him for the entire match.

My reason for this? Luis Horna was a bit of a child. He whined a lot and slammed his racquet and mocked the chair umpire... he even quacked like a duck at one point which had everyone scratching their heads a bit. There was also the gamesmanship which I really didn't appreciate. The long bathroom break after the second set... and then a long injury timeout when the Dominator was Dominating the third set and up 3-2 with a break. Dominik lost his serve to love and never really recovered. Up 6-2 in the tiebreak Horna seemed to come down with a very severe and VERY shortlived case of cramps... during which he hit an underhand second serve that turned into a double fault. He eventually returned to normal and closed out the match. He was funny, but he's still not going on my favorites list anytime soon.

After that match I literally ran to stadium court where Paradorn was serving to Paul up 6-4 3*-4 40-40. That game, like the many after it, seemed to last for ages. Paul eventually broke and won that set 6-3 after another long deuce game. This match was on the main stadium court, and the atmosphere was just terrific. You had the group of Thai fans all dressed in red with those big things you bang together to make a lot of noise and a few dispersed Paradorn fans versus the Washingtonian crowd cheering for hometown hero Paul. It was an amazingly entertaining match... and I really thought that Paul would win and end my thoughts of being bad luck. He had two match points at 5*-4. The problem with Paul is his serve... it's not that great to start with and gets worse when he's nervous. On his first match point he hit a 1st serve into the bottom of the net at about 82mph. Sad. I saw a few low 70s in that game, too. Paul lost. 4-6 6-3 5-7. Really disappointing. Still, as he left the court he got a very warm ovation. Love you PAUL! :D

After that match I watched the first set of Erlich/Ram vs. Kerr/Oliver. I was able to watch Graydon long enough to leave a sizeable puddle of drool behind when I left.

It was getting really late, and the trip to where I was staying would take about 2 hours, so I just walked over to watch a very few minutes of Berdych and then left.

It was really fun to go to this tournament, I'm just sad that my experience had to end like it did today. I was really sad when Karol lost, and then Dominik and Paul had to do it, too. :sad: But it was a great time. Getting to meet Karol was just :bounce: So I hope you all had some fun reading my reports and I look forward to the next chance I get to do it. ;) :wavey:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Thanks for all the reports KBF and as for Horna he has always having problems with cramps, but gllad to see that you enjoyed your live tennis experience.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts

KarolBeckFan said:
Still, the practice match going on behind me grabbed my attention more so I walked over there. I'm not really sure who the one guy was, but there was a really cute blonde Australian that was just totally hamming it up. I must have watched him for half an hour. Studmuffin, truly.
Wayne Arthurs? :lol: Actually, the blond Australian you are probably referring to is Robert Smeets. I saw his match on Sat., he is fun to watch.

KarolBeckFan said:
I looked at Jenny Hopkins jump rope for a few minutes (a much more impressive site than it sounds)
She's a hottie...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
KarolBeckFan, thank you very much for your interesting reports :yeah:

Good luck to Karol in doubles!..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks a lot KarolBeckFan for all the reports, esp Dominik's ones ^^ You're so sweet. Don't be so sad, okay, although I'm sad too... At least you had a chance to see your favorites and take pictures with them :yeah: Gosh, I really miss going to a tournament. Anyway, it's great to know you did have lots of fun there, now have a safe trip back home ^^

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Thanks for the reports Scott. I unerstand you drooling over Graydon, but how could you not also drool over Jordan? He's such a cutie patootie!

After you get over the tennis tournament withdrawal, you'll look back and realize that you had a good time despite what happened to your faves on the last day. :D

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks everyone for their warm wishes.

My mom and I have made it home safely and are absolutely exhausted. Being in the sun all the time has just warn me out, plus the 5 hour trip home.

I did find out that the cute Australian guy that was just totally charming the crowd (and had AMAZING volleys) was Stephen Huss. ;)

I'm really happy that I finally got to go to a pro tournament. Everything is so much more real to me now. Having seen these pros walk around and talk on their phones and all... just makes them much more human. I'm so happy I got to meet Karol :bounce:

I start my new job on Monday, so it was good to have a great vacation. :)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Cool KBF. Hehe! The Big City eh?? LOL Wouldnt call DC the big city, it gets very boring after 2 months of living there. LOL. But Legg Mason is definitely better than the Lincoln Memorial or the Smithsonian, that's for sure :p Nice that you have enjoyed the tourney

41 - 59 of 59 Posts