Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: KarolBeckFan in the Big City - Day 1

Tuesday - Day 2! KarolBeckFan in the Big City Part Deux!

I'll start by saying that today I noticed how thin I've gotten. I've lost about 30lbs this summer, and my really cute jeans don't really fit me. I shouldn't have worn them, anyway!

The story of today is pretty much the heat. It was just unbearable. I didn't even get on the grounds until around 5pm and it was still just way to hot. Upper 90s, I think... and extremely humid. After about 10 minutes I really felt that I was just going to have to leave. It was unbearable. But my desire to see Karol's doubles match kept me there. I must have lost about a pound of sweat, though. I'm thinking that I'll go tomorrow to see Karol's first singles match, and then not go back to the event. It would be nice, but it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow and then the hottest on Thursday. I just can't take that heat. I'll do something around here that's air conditioned, like the outlet malls and maybe (hopefully) the Holocaust Museum, which my sister also needs to see because she's going to be teaching about it in the fall.

I watched a little bit of Lapentti when I first got to the grounds, because I'm a new huge fan of his after witnessing what a great guy he is. He was having a lot of trouble with Arnaud Clement... I saw him win the second set but then I had to move to another court... he eventually lost in the third. :sad:

I made sure to get over on court 2 as soon as Bobby finished up. I wanted to get a good seat for Beck/Berdych vs. Goldstein/Oudsema. Most of today's report will be about this match since I sat through the entire match whilst dying of heat stroke. I never moved though, I couldn't desert Karol to those ravenous fans! My first thoughts on Oudsema were that he was a pretty cute guy. He looks early 20s maybe. He wasn't all that cute after he started sweating buckets, though.

I'll tell you now the match score... 4-6 7-6 6-4 for Beck/Berdych, and they right deserved it. To be honest, Paul and Scott played much better for the majority of the match, but they blew in the important parts of the 2nd and third sets... both of which they had a break in. Oudsema was the best doubles player on the court for the first set and a half. Berdych really stepped up his play in the second set which let to his team taking that. Paul was playing really well in the beginning of the third set. Karol played AMAZINGLY well near the end of the match. He was making shots that even had the crowd clapping for him, which didn't happen often between the "USA! USA!" shouts. :rolleyes: Half the people in the stands had to ask which ones the Americans were... so that they could cheer for them. :help: I don't understand why people fail to see that tennis is an individual sport. Anyway, I went on another tangent. Karol was playing well, and got a break back for team BB... and then at 4-4 Oudsema was serving and just blew it. He totally choked it away with double faults... and then Berdych hit an amazing shot to break and Oudsema shouted "NO WAY!" He really was a bit of a child at the end of the match. Anyway, Berdych served it out convincingly and Beck/Berdych won :D This match really showed me that Karol is indeed my favorite player, because I absolutely adore Paul, but I was totally behind team BB.

Back to the crowd. I kind of feel they mostly knew almost nothing about tennis. I was telling about 10 people around me who all the players were, etc. Berdych was wearing PIRATES and they were trying to figure out which of the "South Americans" started that trend. They finally decided it was Coria. I told them it was Nadal, and they thanked me. Then they started to talk about what a good South American player he is. I told them he was from Spain, and they thanked me. Then they asked me who the Americans were, and proceeded to clap only for them for the rest of the match, as most people in the audience did. I was really the only person cheering for Beck/Berdych... well really Beck. I only clapped for Berdych but I actually shouted for Karol a few times, which isn't really my style, but someone had to do it. At one point in the tiebreak, Karol his a really great shot so I shouted "c'mon Karol" for lack of knowing how to convey this in Slovak. It got me a VERY evil look from Oudsema's entire camp, who were sitting right in front of me. It seemed to annoy them to no end that someone in AMERICA would dare cheer against their nice American Scottie. So, I proceeded to clap and cheer louder. Karol seemed to appreciate the support I gave him, because he looked at me a lot and even pumped his fist at me a few times. I don't know if he recognized me from yesterday or not, but it really doesn't matter. I was just thrilled to be able to be there and to support him.

That was it for that match.

Now I'll just briefly talk about the other stuff I did since I walked around a lot after that.

I popped into the stadium a bit to see how Giovanni was going against Roddick... not too well, and the crowd situation convinced me to get out of there quickly, so I went and watched Max for a little while, whom my mom had been staring at while I was at the doubles match. I missed seeing Brian because of how long the doubles match was, but I'm hoping to catch a little of him tomorrow.

After that, I walked over to catch the end of Mathilde Johansson's match, and I was really impressed with her. She plays really well and hits the corners with really good accuracy, but she seems to go on walkabouts at times. She won 6-3 6-2, not bad. There were a ton of Thai fans there sporting "thaitennis.com" logos. I wanted to ask where I could get one, but as I had been shouting "Allez" with some French fans, I decided against it.

The last match I went to was another Frenchie, Sebastien De Chaunac. The stands were pretty deserted for this match until the Roddick one let out. I found Jan Hernych rather borish before, and I still do now after seeing him. I was so impressed with Sebastien, who was playing amazingly well. He hits the ball extremely hard and mixes it up well. He was up 5-2 in the first set and I was wondering how his ranking could possibly be so low. I said a few "allez Seb"s during that run, which he looked over to me for. But then he showed me why he is ranked where he was. Majorly inconsistant. He lost 6-7 1-6.

My mom had wanted to take my sister with us, and she is no where near the tennis fan my mom is, who is no where near the tennis fan I am. So by then she was begging to leave... so I decided to go ahead and do so. I wanted to watch Moodie play Henman, and I'm sad I didn't because I hear it was a fun match. Moodie actually beat him!

The crowds today were huge. I guess it had something to do with Roddick playing, but there were just a lot of people there. I was really happy about it, even if some of them don't seem to know much about tennis. The more people that show up to events the better the sport will do. I will also note that while the doubles match I saw was on a small court, the stands there were constantly packed and the outside fence area was surrounded. People were even looking down from the top of the grandstand court and the little mid-level pavilion of the stadium court. And they want to get rid of the doubles?!

Tomorrow will, again, likely be my last day because of the heat. I'm going to go there early (so I'll probably die of heat stroke) because Karol's match is first on the grandstand and I want to get a really good seat for that. I'll try to catch some other people, and hopefully watch Paul's match, too. I'd also love to see Ashley Harkleroad, Dominik Hrbaty, Tomas Berdych, Brian Baker, etc. etc. The week hasn't gone as I invisioned (Monday-Friday) mainly because of the heat and the fact that my family just isn't as into all of this as I am, but I'm happy with what I've seen and will see tomorrow. The heat is just a bit to extreme, and I think I'd rather do some other things while I'm here. I had a good fill of live tennis. :)

There are probably a lot of errors in this but I have sun fatigue and am just really tired and tried to type this out really quickly... so I apologize to those that will read it. This was also longer than I anticipated.

Stay tuned! ;)

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Re: KarolBeckFan in the Big City - Day 1 (Double your pleasure! Day 2 added!)

Thanks :D Glad you had another fun day. but sorry about the heat problems :( Sounds awful. can you take and drink lots and lots of water?

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I drank a LOT of water. I also broke my no-sugar rule because I just had to have a smoothie. It took a lot to keep yourself cool today. It was terrible. Almost everyone was soaked in their own sweat :eek:

I took some water but that ran out fast, which is too bad because a small bottle of water costs $3.00. On a day like today you had to buy it, hard to go without.

·
85,829 Posts

oh gosh. I remember being in DC at the end of June a couple years ago and we had to walk everywhere and a lot of the time be dressed up and it was death. At least in LA last week it was dry, and the way the parking was there, I could leave and come back so I could leave frozen water bottles in a cooler in my trunk and have a fresh supply of cold water all day. It doesn't sound like that's a possibility for you :( You probably are already doing this but wear lightweight and light-colored clothes, that can help a lot from my past experience. I see people wearing black clothes and it's like, uh! but then again, the heat in DC is different, with the humidity... gosh, good luck :( Are any of the sponsor booths (TTC or anything) giving out fans? those can help but it's kinda a pain to wave a fan in your face all day lol.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

Scott, wear your sunscreen! Thanks for your reports and it was very good of you to help those clueless people in the stands.

·
85,829 Posts

dead, fee, you and your sunscreen! :D

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

saved your can in LA, didn't I, you ungrateful wench! :lol:

·
85,829 Posts

my can was covered at all times, thanks very much :p

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

:ras:

proper sunscreen prevents wrinkles and cancer. no one wants to look like nick bolleterri....

·
85,829 Posts

:secret: you know I'm just totally teasing you, right?

:) :p

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts

I thought today was a fairly mild day weather-wise. Nothing like the month long heatwave that ended last Thursday.

Scott Oudsema is 19. He won three junior grand slam doubles titles in 2004 (w. Brendan Evans) & was the finalist at Kalamazoo. I saw some of him during the qualifying (I wrote about it in my reports) & talked to an SFX person about him today (who told me how to correctly pronounce his name--none of the umpires have been saying it right). He's the only tennis player that Polo sponsors & is supposed to be featured fairly extensively in the U.S. Open ad campaigns.

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts

Thanks again :)

And yes, 95% of the people at a tennis tournament are clueless about players outside the Top 10. But sometimes I feel that is the case on tennis forums too (maybe about players outside the Top 50).

·
Registered
65,539 Posts

KarolBeckFan said:
I took some water but that ran out fast, which is too bad because a small bottle of water costs $3.00. On a day like today you had to buy it, hard to go without.
$3.00 for a bottle of water is ridiculous. :eek: Thanks a bunch for your report.

·
Registered
65,539 Posts

Fee said:
:ras:

proper sunscreen prevents wrinkles and cancer. no one wants to look like nick bolleterri....
You're right about the wrinkles and especially about the cancer. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts

:lol: at Bolletieri.. Fee gave me plenty of warnings last year during the grass court season :yeah: She knows her stuff!

Yesterday at a tournament I was playing at, a mum tried to get her son to put on cream, and she was trying to convince him to. Typically, as she made the following statement, as part of a sentence, everything went quiet: "I don't care if anyone else gets cancer, put on your suncream".

I cringed for her.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts

As someone who has lived in Washington for 20 years now, I'm getting a huge kick out of listening to you tourists complain about the heat! :haha: :haha: Suck it up, you wusses! :rolls:

;) ;)

And don't forget: Stand to the RIGHT on the Metro escalators so we important non-tourists can get to wherever we're going quicky. ;)

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

Debstah said:
:secret: you know I'm just totally teasing you, right?

:) :p
of course I know that! silly rabbit...

Socket, I should put you over my knee and give you a spanking for those comments, smarty pants! :p

21 - 40 of 59 Posts