Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Ivo Karlovic turned 40 (happy birthday!) and decided to tell ATP about difficult moments of his life. He tells about his brain disease and difficult period during and after the war. When he had nobody to practise with he served and served and served, which explains why Dr Ivo became the best server ever. A link to the article below:

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/ivo-karlovic-my-point-2019

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Yesterday Ivo Karlovic turned 40 (happy birthday!) and decided to tell ATP about difficult moments of his life. He tells about his brain disease and difficult period during and after the war. When he had nobody to practise with he served and served and served, which explains why Dr Ivo became the best server ever. A link to the article below:

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/ivo-karlovic-my-point-2019
Ivo Karlovic (6'11") is probably the tallest player to ever play tennis (along with Reilly Opelka). He's got a gift by birth and that is being born too tall. He is already in an advantageous position due to his height and it gives him the elevation to hit the right spots and to serve aces with a relative ease.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ivo Karlovic (6'11") is probably the tallest player to ever play tennis (along with Reilly Opelka). He's got a gift by birth and that is being born too tall. He is already in an advantageous position due to his height and it gives him the elevation to hit the right spots and to serve aces with a relative ease.
Well, this is so obvious that I even didn't mention it. Still, he had to practise a lot to achieve a mind-boogling career average of 20 aces/match.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
How old was he when he took out Hewitt opening day at Wimbledon?

That must've been the last time a defending champ fell on opening CC match? Anyway don't really go out of my way to watch his matches but respect for him still being out there at 40.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
How old was he when he took out Hewitt opening day at Wimbledon?

That must've been the last time a defending champ fell on opening CC match? Anyway don't really go out of my way to watch his matches but respect for him still being out there at 40.
That was 2003 Wimbledon (Hewitt won in 2002 over Nalbandian), 16 years ago, so he was 24 then!!

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
It was amazing how quickly he recovered from that brain disease and returned to the top 20 again at the age of 37, his life was in danger let alone his tennis life
Let's go for 10 more years, Ivo. :boxing:
Many years ago I asked him on Twitter until what age he thinks he could be top 100 and he said 50 :lol:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My son has just left the intensive medical care because of encephalitis. He's right now (and me with him) on the neurology ward waiting to recover (doctors say it will be 3 months at least). Didn't know that Karlovic story, right now I have become a real fan, I know how strong and terrible the disease is.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Really nice article. Made me appreciate even more that Karlovic is still playing top 100 level tennis at his age. Hope he keeps doing it for as long as he wants to.

All the best to your son @FelipeL :hug:

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
My son has just left the intensive medical care because of encephalitis. He's right now (and me with him) on the neurology ward waiting to recover (doctors say it will be 3 months at least). Didn't know that Karlovic story, right now I have become a real fan, I know how strong and terrible the disease is.
That's terrible, hope your kid recovers fully and stays healthy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts