Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr. Ivo is on the entry list for Delray Beach, and will hence not try to qualify for the AO, the first time he’ll miss the tournament since 2003. This is sad news; seems like the old bot will retire soon. In his Behind the Racquet interview this week, he said that he has a hard time leaving his kids to travel to tournaments. Seeing as he lives in Miami, that was probably a big influence since he can now stay in Florida rather than travel all the way to Doha. Plus, I guess he knows he didn’t have much chance to qualify anyways.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,305 Posts
Travelling is hard so no surprise.

He's had a pretty good career chokes aside. Maximised what he could do with his primary weapon and other limitations withstanding. I think he will still play out what he can and maybe in next 2 years call it a day.

A good deal of MTFers thought he'd go on beyond 2025; we'll see.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I have heard from many athletes, in all kinds of sports, that the speed, agility, movement of body parts, etc., at ages 40 and 42 is a considerable difference. You seem to look and do fine as an athlete at 40, but falls off considerably at 42. He will soon turn 42 in February. Maybe, his body is telling him it is time.

I also think Federer has 2 good years of tennis left in him, at the most, unless he wants to continue on the tour for financial reasons.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I have heard from many athletes, in all kinds of sports, that the speed, agility, movement of body parts, etc., at ages 40 and 42 is a considerable difference. You seem to look and do fine as an athlete at 40, but falls off considerably at 42. He will soon turn 42 in February. Maybe, his body is telling him it is time.

I also think Federer has 2 good years of tennis left in him, at the most, unless he wants to continue on the tour for financial reasons.
I wonder what his fitness regiment and diet consists of.

Tom Brady is 43 and a half and still producing the goods.Granted,it's a different kettle of fish in tennis as opposed to mostly throwing a ball but Brady really looks after himself supremely and is on a weird diet.Players in various sports now are playing longer & longer and going into their 40's now.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like a good decision that has very little to do with any kind of retiring?
If he truly doesn’t have the motivation to leave his kids to play one of the world’s biggest tournaments (completely understandable), then he likely won’t stay on tour for much longer.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
He had absolutely no chance of qualifying anyway, it's way too tough.

More likely he tries to win a round or 2 near home with a direct entry which is going to be a rarity.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Seems like a good decision that has very little to do with any kind of retiring?
If he truly doesn’t have the motivation to leave his kids to play one of the world’s biggest tournaments (completely understandable), then he likely won’t stay on tour for much longer.
He decided to play the MD of ATP level tournament instead of flying all the way to Doha to try and qualify for MD. He would have been unlikely to qualify for the AO MD.

I dont get the motivation part. I think its very sensible thing to do.

Sebastian Korda did the same thing I believe. I dont think that hes thinking about retiring at age of 20.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
hasn't he retired already?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
hasn't he retired already?
Why would he? Karlovic is one of the very few who actually has passion for the sport. I dont remember him tanking. Not a single time.

And its not like he is not up for the task with the current 'youngsters' - he beat Noah Rubin from the baseline (LOL) on clay few months ago.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts