Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During the course of winning the 2 California challengers these past 2 weeks Karlovic's return game seemd to step up a notch. Yes they were challengers, not ATP events, but still 26 breaks in 10 matches is a good stat for anyone and almost mind boggling for Karlovic. There was some solid competition and good servers, 6 breaks came in 2 matches against Querrey and another 2 were against Blake.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Legend :worship:

·
Premium Member
29,568 Posts
Novak better watch out.

Ivo 2.0 will rise

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
oh my god that is incredible, never expect that from IVO. but let's be realistic, it's not as though it's that impressive, he was playing in CHALLENGER events..... :eek:

·
Registered
6,874 Posts

·
30,569 Posts
Anyone who is saying this isn't impressive, I really think you guys need to go out and watch some challenger or even futures events. You have to be really good to even get a ranking, let alone be in a challenger event.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Obviously his return is much better than his serve :smoke:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Anyone who is saying this isn't impressive, I really think you guys need to go out and watch some challenger or even futures events. You have to be really good to even get a ranking, let alone be in a challenger event.
this is true but being realistic the serve of a futures player or challengers player is far below what IVO usually faces on the ATP tour.... there is a reason there are players who do not make it to the ATP pro level.... that is what futures / challengers are for after all

but it is a surprising statistic no doubt

·
Registered
565 Posts
Karlovic also did very well capitalizing on his breakpoints. I don't have the offical stats, but almost everytime he got himself in positions to break he took advantage of it and won the game.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I went and saw his first match against Querrey in Sacramento, and he impressed me on return. This is why you should never pay attention to those who despise the "all serve" players, when they are more than just that.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
He's so underrated on return because we usually watch him playing the best on the main tour, on the challenger tour he's a different animal since the opposition tend to have lesser shot making ability and my guess is, most struggle to pass the big guy at the net consistently like the guys on the main tour are able to (even many of them struggle, but don't get broken as much). Those chip charges and heavy risky forehands followed by net rushes are a tough proposition for challenger level players.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
He's so underrated on return because we usually watch him playing the best on the main tour, on the challenger tour he's a different animal since the opposition tend to have lesser shot making ability and my guess is, most struggle to pass the big guy at the net consistently like the guys on the main tour are able to (even many of them struggle, but don't get broken as much). Those chip charges and heavy risky forehands followed by net rushes are a tough proposition for challenger level players.
this is exactly it; these players often are less experience and/or talented and just do not have the power or versatility to handle hitting over or past such a large person has IVO which inevitably is going to mean he is going to do much better on return

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
I like Ivo but challenger and future players don't have good serves. They have good serves compared to some fat tard on MTF but by professional standards they're pathetic. Double faults, junkballs, forehand slices, and choking are all normal on the challenger tour, why do you think the ATP top 100 has stagnated with no new players? The ATP is the same old mediocre players filling out slam draws because challengers are filled with the same old crappy players, while everyone who seems to have picked up a racket after 1990 is horrible for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts