Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Eurosport.com

Yevgeny Kafelnikov has scrapped his retirement plans and will now try to regain the form that made him the first Russian world number one tennis player. The 28-year old had earlier vowed to quit if Russia won their first-ever Davis Cup which they did last week in Paris.

"Hopefully, my physical conditioning will allow me to regain my top form to be the player that I was not so long ago," the 28-year-old said on Friday.

Kafelnikov had repeatedly insisted he would retire if Russia won the Davis Cup this year. They achieved this, beating France in a dramatic final last week, but Kafelnikov contributed little to the victory. He lost his opening singles match, lost the doubles and was dropped for his second singles.

Davis Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev replaced him with 20-year-old newcomer Mikhail Youzhny for the decisive fifth rubber and Youzhny beat Paul-Henri Mathieu to give Russia a thrilling 3-2 victory in Paris.

Russian media reported that Kafelnikov, who almost single-handedly has carried the country's Davis Cup hopes for a near decade, was disappointed with his substitute's role and that it was that which prompted him to postpone his retirement. But Kafelnikov said: "No, not at all. I'm fully satisfied with what I have done prior to and during the final and I was really happy for Mikhail, who was able to overcome the pressure and win the last match.

"Of course, it's difficult for me right now to find another goal for myself to carry on," added Kafelnikov, who won the 1996 French Open and 1999 Australian Open titles as well as the 2000 Olympic gold.

The player, who earlier this week underwent surgery for varicose veins, said he would delay his comeback until the European indoor tournaments in early February.

"The way it looks right now, I don't think I will be able to play in the Qatar Open in Doha nor in the Australian Open," he said. "My plan is hopefully to get back into action later next year, during the indoor season in Europe."

·
Registered
251 Posts
Today on the news they showed the meeting of Mr. Putin with Misha, Marat and Zhenya. It was in the official out-of-town residence of the president. Misha was very shy, Marat was just staring at mr. Putin and Zhenya always was looking upstairs....... don't know why.... That was fun. But concerning that Misha doesn't have much experience in such meetings (particularly with the president) he was doing great. He said "I wouldn't say that it was me who had done so much for the victory. Not only our team won the DC but the WHOLE country. I'm so happy and proud that I grew up in such a beautiful country and I love it". How cute.... That was so touching =) He is great. Then the journalist asked "what's next?" Misha replied: "Just trainings and new tournaments will start again and again". and hten Marat said "The same problem for me". Isn't it cute???
Mr. Putin got Kafelnikov's racquet as a present and all guys were awarded with orders of "Russian Sport Fame". All this was very fun to watch!!!
Zhenya is still limping a little bit and he said that he doesn't know if he still stays in tennis. He will see how his leg will be going... Hope it's alright.
I've watched all this 4 times in the news!!!! Wanna see it again!!!!

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Zhenya! :) Wonderful news.

Hopefully, if he does continue, it's with a modified schedule. No need to play all of these events -- he should save his strength for the biggies :D

I can't say I'm surprised, but I am pleased :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
D*** & B****, he's gone & disappointed me again. Do I really have to look at his long grumpy face (including red nose) again in 2003?

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Scott don't be like that :eek: You know you love Zhenya just stop denying it ;)
Yay Zhenya come back and kick arse!

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I knew it :D :D

But I'm very happy:bounce: :bounce:

Good luck in 2003

1 - 13 of 13 Posts