Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old, bald, slow, erratic Mandy has looked in all recent matches. Sad! Verdasco deturkifying himself with third straight win over Hipray, having won the last six sets against him (all 6-4, what a funny tidbit); H2H 13-4 now (was 13-1 with Fernie's lone win occurring at his mythical peak at 2009 AO). Mury going the Hewitt way in old age, similar style similar ending.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Funny odds for Verdasco on this one

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Rays comeback going supremely well, except that the only thing he is coming back to is his post-AO-19 retirement.

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
883 Posts
First win for Fiasco since AO.

He was lucky he got Murray, as he would have lost to pretty much everyone else in the draw.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,916 Posts
Murray is ok but just that, ok. Very dependent on opponent's level, especially as his consistency and shot potency wavers.

Verdasco nearly had Murray back in it but flushed out the choking demons and withstood Murray's final resistance.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Not many positive things to say about this match. At least Andy put up some sort of a fight at the end of the match, but even that was more due to the fact that Verdasco simply couldn't seem to be able to serve out the match.

There's always some hope left for next week for Andy, but he can't keep playing like this, no matter what sort of draw he'll end up with then.

I'll seriously need to think if I want to see any of that live. I just miss live tennis so much that have already arranged the possibility for seats, should I eventually decide to leave for Cologne next week. Don't really know if it's worth it, but will have to keep on hoping.

·
Your visions will happen
51,332 Posts
Really see Murray hanging it up after Wimbledon next year, very sad to see, hope he gets better though

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Still have to add (as I spoke about missing live tennis above) that now that the tournament management has decided that no spectators will be allowed from Wednesday onwards this week due to the rise in the number of new Covid cases in Cologne, I can't really recommend for anyone to try and get tickets for next week, as the situations is hardly likely to get any better by then.

I feel it's only a very minimal chance that anyone else than those it's been agreed with beforehand (and I don't mean tickets by this) will be allowed in next week.

All of this really getting very complicated now again, but not much anyone can do about it. At least we all do get to see competitive tennis for the time being, whether live or via other channels, so much better than what we had to live with for quite some time only few months ago.

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
He loses balance so easily it's actually disturbing, doesn't look likely he can make a serious comeback.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why is Murray is still playing, is just to get that Aussie title that he has been so close to winning but still doesn't have it.

He clearly doesn't need the money, he could be a tennis poundit in england for one the sports channels and make some extra cash there.

He will always be a hero in GB but his records doesn't compare to the big 3 and it's kinda sad that we said there where a big 4 once a upon a time, by this generation he stands just above Stan the man.

And history will remember him for those olymoic gold medals and those wimby wins, but makes him a national hero in GB and nothing else when we look back at it

·
Registered
61,258 Posts
Murray truly looks done.

Couldn't ask for an easier top 100 opponent than this. Verdasco had COVID during the US swing, trained for clay, got slaughtered by Dzumhur, and then tested positive for COVID again. It doesn't get any more undercooked than that. And it wasn't really that close, aside from Verdasco's typical struggles serving for the set.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Why is Murray is still playing, is just to get that Aussie title that he has been so close to winning but still doesn't have it.

He clearly doesn't need the money, he could be a tennis poundit in england for one the sports channels and make some extra cash there.

He will always be a hero in GB but his records doesn't compare to the big 3 and it's kinda sad that we said there where a big 4 once a upon a time, by this generation he stands just above Stan the man.

And history will remember him for those olymoic gold medals and those wimby wins, but makes him a national hero in GB and nothing else when we look back at it
To you, and to anyone who keeps wondering about the same thing, as I've seen this exact same question asked here at least some 250 times. Easier than for me to go on to explain the whole thing, just watch this trailer (it'll only take 1 minute of your life):

"It's just tennis, it's just a sport. But it isn't, for me. It's a lot more than that."

He just loves the game and the fight, and tennis has been his whole life for such a long time. There's this burning hope within him to still be able to play at a level that satisfies himself. Nothing left to prove to anyone else but himself.

Still, no excuses for the performance he put out last night, I'm by no means trying to say that, and I don't think this sort of the level is what will keep Andy playing for much longer. But you do get a perfect response on why he still wants to keep playing by taking a look at the above.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
An improvement from his listless flat performance against Wawrinka but still way off the pace. Can't say he's improved a great deal since the restart. Just one or two good performances offset against a bunch of absolute shockers (Nishioka and FAA at USO and Wawrinka at RG).

I just cannot see him getting back to his best - he can't expect to move as well as he did in his prime with a metal hip. Wimbledon 2021 will most likely be his final tournament and honestly I will be happy to see him finally say "enough is enough".

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
To you, and to anyone who keeps wondering about the same thing, as I've seen this exact same question asked here at least some 250 times. Easier than for me to go on to explain the whole thing, just watch this trailer (it'll only take 1 minute of your life):

"It's just tennis, it's just a sport. But it isn't, for me. It's a lot more than that."

He just loves the game and the fight, and tennis has been his whole life for such a long time. There's this burning hope within him to still be able to play at a level that satisfies himself. Nothing left to prove to anyone else but himself.

Still, no excuses for the performance he put out last night, I'm by no means trying to say that, and I don't think this sort of the level is what will keep Andy playing for much longer. But you do get a perfect response on why he still wants to keep playing by taking a look at the above.
I watched the entire documentary, and I have to say I didn't see that at all. It's not that Andy "wants to play at a level that satisfies himself" -- the fact is, Andy doesn't know what to do if he doesn't have tennis. It's the same for most of these elite players: they are excellent athletes but the sport is all they have, it's how they define themselves. It's therefore very difficult for many players to simply hang up the racquet, because they're frightened of what life would be like in retirement.

Regarding Murray I think he shouldn't punish his hip anymore. If his hip prosthesis (or rather his pelvis) can't handle the pressure of pro level tennis, he could injure himself for life. He's had a wonderful career. To force himself to continue now while playing like this, it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
I watched the entire documentary, and I have to say I didn't see that at all. It's not that Andy "wants to play at a level that satisfies himself" -- the fact is, Andy doesn't know what to do if he doesn't have tennis. It's the same for most of these elite players: they are excellent athletes but the sport is all they have, it's how they define themselves. It's therefore very difficult for many players to simply hang up the racquet, because they're frightened of what life would be like in retirement.

Regarding Murray I think he shouldn't punish his hip anymore. If his hip prosthesis (or rather his pelvis) can't handle the pressure of pro level tennis, he could injure himself for life. He's had a wonderful career. To force himself to continue now while playing like this, it isn't worth it.
Indeed, but clearly it's a matter of the heart for Murray. He's not ready to walk away.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It makes me so nervous to watch Murray knowing all his body has been though. Really wish he would call it quits and save his health.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Let's take a look here:

He lost to Raonic 2 & 2 in Cincy
In his very next match he should've been put away in straights by Chokeioka at the US OPEN but eked out a 5 set win.... He then lost 2,3 & 4 to Felix.

...He then loses to Stan 1,3 & 2 at the French Open.

... And finally 4 & 4 to Verdasco.

.. He really should've lost 4 on the trot and if you look at the set scores he isn't at all that competitive.He could've/should've lost 10 sets on the bounce.Granted,he faced decent competition in Raonic & Stan and he needs 'baby steps' in order to 'try to get back' but I along with most others just don't see it.

... If this continues wouldn't be surprised if either Wimbledon or the Olympics is his swansong.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts

... I could get a lot lot worse... When he hangs it up you know he's going to be quickly put in that 'commentary box' and his droning voice will be soporific as hell to listen to.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Has a former #1 player ever played this poorly? Even if its at the end of their career, most former #1s would rather retire than play badly.

Murray has lost 8 consecutive sets, his longest streak of losing sets since he lost 9 straight in spring 2011 which was the longest of his career.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts