Mens Tennis Forums banner

Just to what extent this Nadal is "finished"?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a similar thread on Andy in 2014, and it seems like I kind of reverse-jinxed it as Murray has definitely managed to stem what at the time seemed like a fast inexorable decline into irrelevancy (Not only me.. Remember CK thread about ‘Murray will never enter the Top 10 again :lol:)..

Let me try one for Rafito..Obviously Nadal is in much worse and ominous slump than the one the Scot endured in 2014...Do think he has bounceback year in 2016 and beyond or this is it simply for the Spaniard? In what sense Nadal’s “done-ability” can be described today?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rafa's done being the dominant player, being number 1, winning slams. His decline has been steady for over a year now. It's physical which effects the mental part of his game as well. He has lost a step and his game is based around movement and getting to balls. He no longer has confidence in his game and it shows. I don't see Nadal playing more than a year or two more. He could have one more deep run at a slam if everything falls into place.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
People never come back from the place he is now. Just re-watch the Brown match.
Yes, i agree that it looks way more serious..This is starting to feel like a McEnroe/Wilander style falling from a cliff after looking to be towering on the sport--in the case of Nadal after his amazing 2013..The former two never recovered from it..

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Funny that all of the Nadal fans say that he is done (like they did in 2009, and 2012).

If he has another miraculous comeback and starts dominating again, you will all have "explanations" on how he could do the impossible.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
His time at the top is receding as quickly as his hairline.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
If this was 2011-2014, I'd still say he's got a chance at Slams (due to Nole The Generous).

But if he's going to be losing to Wawrinkas and Kyrgioses...

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
If this was 2011-2014, I'd still say he's got a chance at Slams (due to Nole The Generous).

But if he's going to be losing to Wawrinkas and Kyrgioses...
Like Djokovic at the FO? :confused:

·
29,637 Posts
He relied so much on physicality to grind players playing well down that when he loses that he's very susceptible to being outplayed by skillful tennis and this has been happening quite a bit all year. His timing's also a step slower just like Federer's timing/reaction speed began to drop off, but with a bigger drop than Federer's.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I think their drops in speed are equal, but Fed's versatility has aided a slower decline. Whereas Nadal has seen a more dramatic dip because his game was so physically centric.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
He's still good enough to beat random mugs, but he's struggling badly against most decent players, moreso against the Top 10. The fact he lost against Raonic at IW this year should've been a wake-up call for him. Against Berdych he had the injury recovery excuse, but against Raonic, who doesn't really have game to be in the Top 10, was very hard to justify.

In comparison, Federer is still threatening against everyone in the Top 10, obviously not so much as when he was on his prime, as he had quite bad losses this year, but his game still allows him to rank comfortably ahead of others and below Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
We'll see in 2016. Federer and Murray both bounced back after 13/14. If Nadal has another subpar year, it's probably over for him in terms of competing for slams.

He's still good enough for the rest of the year to stay in the top 8 and qualify for the WTF (1000 points ahead of #9 in the race), but not enough to challenge the top guys right now. Expecting a QF/SF result at USO and probably RR at WTF.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
The problem with Rafa is ... he fluked a lot of win because emasculated men of this era choked matches against him. Now people are not afraid of him. A top 100 player can beat Rafa at Wimbledon. A power player like Nick. K can blow him off the court. Even Coric has beaten Rafa ... Rafa will still dominate Dimitrov, Gasquets and people like that. But he will start having even more problems with the youngsters who are now learning and getting better. Nole is here to stay in 2016. Things look good for Murray. Rafa is in big big trouble as far as winning slams. I can see him winning masters though.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
To the extent of his WTA serve and error-ridden forehand.

Service is the basic aspect of the game and good service is key to keep points short, especially for an ageing player. I am not sure why it is so difficult to throw the ball in the air and hit the right spots.

Will have to wait until RG 2016 to get the exact measure and also to give Rafa time, if he can turnaround.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Murray was never this bad though. At least not that I remember, it's been a while tbh. Also Nadal has been playing like this for over a year now.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Murray was never this bad though. At least not that I remember, it's been a while tbh. Also Nadal has been playing like this for over a year now.
:facepalm: He was worse than Nadal, here are some bad losses. He was something like 2-15 against the top 10 if i remember correctly. Of course, he was also younger with much less milage so it was expected he would bounce back easier than Nadal has it now.

Murray finished with 4675 points, Nadal currently has 2855, so he needs about 1800 points the rest of the year, which he probably will surpass.

A pretty reasonable estimate (low) for Nadal's end of season points: Toronto (SF) - 360 Cincinnati (QF) - 180 US OPEN (QF)-360 Beijing (SF)-180 Shanghai QF - 180 Basel F 300 Paris QF - 180 points WTF RR 1 win - 200 points = ~ 2000 points. If he plays summer clay or NA hard he can add more points there too.

Florian Mayer def. Murray 6–3, 4–6, 2–6
Raonic def. Murray 6–4, 5–7, 3–6
Fognini def Murray 3-6 3-6 4-6
Giraldo def Murray 3-6 2-6
Nadal def Murray 3-6 2-6 1-6

Stepanek def Murray 6-7 2-6
Dimitrov def Murray 1-6 6-7 2-6
Nishikori def Murray 4-6 4-6
Federer def Murray 0-6 1-6

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I did a similar thread on Andy in 2014, and it seems like I kind of reverse-jinxed it as Murray has definitely managed to stem what at the time seemed like a fast inexorable decline into irrelevancy (Not only me.. Remember CK thread about ‘Murray will never enter the Top 10 again :lol:)..

Let me try one for Rafito..Obviously Nadal is in much worse and ominous slump than the one the Scot endured in 2014...Do think he has bounceback year in 2016 and beyond or this is it simply for the Spaniard? In what sense Nadal’s “done-ability” can be described today?
The only DONE related to Rafa is he has done TOO MUCH. I mean TEN CONSECUTIVE SLAM WINNING YEARS come on. Federer could only manage 8 once he had to face decent competition.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts