Mens Tennis Forums banner

Murray place in the current tennis landscape is...

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He's eerily going the Safin way after winning AO'05 and undergoing the knee surgery-- Zero tour title until retirement in 2009..Andy hasn't even reached a single ATP Final in 14 months after winning Wimbledon and gone under the knife for his back problems..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
In the history of tennis, have any players ever won a few grand slam titles, then gone into a bit of a slump, and then come back and won more? For example, Agassi, etc.

He is not "done." His game is just a bit off and he will get it back.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Federer's awful 2013 is giving me hope that Andy might be back in 2015. Likewise I'm a Sharapova fan and she was awful in 2009 and 2010 post-surgery before going on to win 2 further slams. Not saying Murray will get back but I have some hope.

At the same time displays like tonight and his loss from 3-0 up last week are just dire.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Not the same situation. Safin only reached the second week of a slam twice after his comeback in 2006. At one stage, Safin literally struggled to win 2 straight matches. It was clear that his movement was very poor in comparison on return. Murray still moves well and isn't in constant pain like Safin was.

He'll have his chances.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Too early to say. Potentially he could be, but would it be all that surprising if he gradually built his way back? Not really. At the moment his mental game is killing him. Maybe it'll continue to do so to the point of retirement, maybe he'll deal with things and become a strong competitor in matches against top players again - who knows.....

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I think he is gradually improving but his serve and mental strength are still a long way off of where they need to be. Both of those things are huge and without them he will continue to struggle vs top players.

I think it would be foolish to completely write him off yet but it is worrying.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
He'll be fine, give him a few more months.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 4-3 game(leading in the 2nd set, serving to hold onto one of the breaks) was just awful....

It's one thing to miss, but it appeared that Andy willfully overhit a couple of balls out of disgust when HE WAS UP A BREAK...

He needs to win a tournament, if I were him, I'd take a wildcard into Winston-Salem or New-Haven and try to WIN it....

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Hard to see him winning a title this year. I think he rushed his return at the AO and didn't leave enough time for the back to recover. He crammed too much training in and sacrificed recovery for trying to defend Final points which he failed miserably at doing. He should have returned after the AO like Nadal did in 2013, and played the full European indoor swing. I think he'll be back to form in 2015.

I mean what people have to realise is that after surgery can be tough. Andy had gotten used to dealing with the pain pre surgery for numerous years. Other body parts were probably often taking the strain and he jus adjusted to it. Now the surgery is done with he probably feels totally different and is still accustoming to post surgery life.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Won't win another slam. He might be able to snag another Masters title (maybe at Shanghai) at some point but unless he manages to stop spiralling so embarrassingly at the first sign of trouble I doubt he'll have that much success again.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
The 4-3 game(leading in the 2nd set, serving to hold onto one of the breaks) was just awful....

It's one thing to miss, but it appeared that Andy willfully overhit a couple of balls out of disgust when HE WAS UP A BREAK...

He needs to win a tournament, if I were him, I'd take a wildcard into Winston-Salem or New-Haven and try to WIN it....
The danger of vulturing is it can backfire and further erode your confidence (see Federer last year).

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Hes Fucking Done.

The Reason He Hired Mauresmo Was He Said It Himself' I Need Someone Who Will Not Push Me And Understand What I Want'

There Done, He's Had Enough, No Pain Andy, Pack Your Bags. Get Out Of My Sight.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

I still can't quite believe what I saw in that game. It was unbelievable.

I agree, he needs to build confidence in some smaller tournaments; he's still scheduling like he expects to challenge for slams, and there's currently no chance of that.

·
6,249 Posts
He's still a genuine contender for Masters and Slams.
Needs a few big wins to get his confidence up again, and it can be done.
He did have a good clay court season, including a run to the RG semis, so is definitely not "done" like a Lleyton Hewitt- who is now only a spoiler.
Maybe not until next year's AO, at least he can make up a lot of points in the Fall season where he has none to defend, and make it to the WTF's.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It's primarily mental in my opinion. We've always known he's a head case. It's frustrating to think that until the final of the 2011 AO he had almost exactly the same career as Djokovic, at which point the mental aspect served to differentiate them.

If there's one thing he has shown over the years is tenacity. He can pick himself up after abject failure and turn it around. I don't see him giving up that easily.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hard to see him winning a title this year. I think he rushed his return at the AO and didn't leave enough time for the back to recover. He crammed too much training in and sacrificed recovery for trying to defend Final points which he failed miserably at doing. He should have returned after the AO like Nadal did in 2013, and played the full European indoor swing. I think he'll be back to form in 2015.

I mean what people have to realise is that after surgery can be tough. Andy had gotten used to dealing with the pain pre surgery for numerous years. Other body parts were probably often taking the strain and he jus adjusted to it. Now the surgery is done with he probably feels totally different and is still accustoming to post surgery life.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with Andy physically today.....
In fact he was playing excellent tennis to go up 4-1 in the second....

He just was strangely AWFUL especially in the 4-3 game exhibiting very poor attitude....

I think Lendl was the only coach he truly respected and missing that he seems to take out any nits during a game onto his coaching box and goes into a tailspin...

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
He is right there with the top gyes still, it is all mental for him at this point, imo.

Tonight was 100% mental, as was the Tsonga match last week. Too lax when he gets leads like 3-0 or 4-1 in a set

1 - 20 of 153 Posts