Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I agree FFT should not have decided alone....

Just forget about who you are cheering for and records.....

Slams give the opportunity to more or less 200 players (128 from qualies and 60ish from main draw) to earn 80% of their annual money.

Those players situation has been worsened by a 3 month pause....

Laver Cup gives a lot of money to maybe 20 players, same 20 players that already have a lot of money from their own branding and prize money from ATP Tour and whose situation in not endangered.....

If a longer break happens, I am afraid everything should be made to reschedule Slams + Indian Wells + Miami prioritarely because they provide big money to more players.....

And if FFT is definitely selfish to decide alone, favouring smaller tournaments or Exho over those big ones would be very selfishly Buisiness orientated over allowing more players to financially survive.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Well, since when has the financial wellbeing of 'lesser' players been a concern for Mirka and her puppet husband? All that matters is their businesses, their stratospherical sponsorship deals, their advertising commitments, their golden handbags and their exho toys to gloat and peacock in front of their Cult followers.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Crowds surely won't be allowed into the Laver Cup anyway.
Hosting an exhibition event without crowds, seems pointless.
Whereas its worthwhile posting a slam without crowds.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Once again, NOBODY thinks that the Laver Cup should take precedence over the FO.

However, that does NOT mean that the FO can just unilaterally pick a date on the calendar.

It's not about the FO versus the Laver Cup.

It's the FO versus the ATP, the WTA, the USO and the whole of the tennis community.

It's always worthwhile to stand up to bullies.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Send me yours' number... not to call him 😱
It's flattering you think that the type of shrinks that look after me are the type one calls up.

No, they just appear at my bedside with a needle in one hand and a cranial saw in the other.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
It's flattering you think that the type of shrinks that look after me are the type one calls up.

No, they just appear at my bedside with a needle in one hand and a cranial saw in the other.
Give'em my number then 😍

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Crowds surely won't be allowed into the Laver Cup anyway.
Hosting an exhibition event without crowds, seems pointless.
Whereas its worthwhile posting a slam without crowds.
Why is it worthwhile? Tournaments are entertainment. The whole point of them is to make money by providing a crowd with entertainment. A tournament have and always will be a business.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
As other people already said, of course the French Open is more relevant than Laver Cup, and if it is the best option to cancel Laver Cup in order to play the FO, so be it. But it is not upon the organizers of the FO to unilaterally make this decision. I think the best procedure would be if ATP, WTA ITF and the tournament organizers could together decide as soon as possilbe on provisional schedules for several scenarios depending on when play can be resumed. If they don't do that now, there will be new chaos coming up with every prolongation of the break.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Coronavirus aside, because we don't know what the situation will be like in France, USA, elsewhere in Sep-Oct., but for the purposes of the argument, let's say that the situation is better by that time.

it isn't just Laver Cup, there are 18 tournaments affected by unilateral decision of the FFT.
RG is a 128 player draw, + qualies two week tournament.

First, It sets an horrific precedent for FFT to unilaterally roll over the interests of the ATP, WTA, and even ITF (the governing body of tennis), no matter they have slam status.
What's very troublesome is that the actual affect is not as trivial as interfering with Laver Cup and a couple of minor tournaments as has been portrayed..

The 18 tournaments being overrun during the proposed RG dates of Sep 20-Oct 4, or a day after, which is just about impossible for many players:

ATP (8)
  • St. Petersburg Open (September 21 to September 27)
  • Moselle Open (September 21 to September 27)
  • Laver Cup (September 25 to September 27)
  • Chengdu Open (September 28 to October 4)
  • Hujain Securities Zuhai Championships (September 28 to October 4)
  • Sofia Open (September 28 to October 4)

• China Open (October 5 to October 11)
  • Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships (October 5 to October 11)
WTA(10)
  • Hana-Cupid Japan Women’s Open (September 14 to September 20)
  • Jiangxi Open (September 14 to September 20)
  • Zhengzhou Open (September 14 to September 20)
  • Guangzhou Open (September 21 to September 26)
  • KEB Hana Bank Korea Open 2020 (September 21 to September 27)
  • Today Pan Pacific Open (September 21 to September 27)
  • 2020 Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open (September 27 to October 3)
  • Tashkent Open (September 28 to October 3)
  • China Open (October 3 to October 11)

• Taipei OEC Open (October 5 to October 11)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
And that is from the tournament point of view. What about the players? What say do they have?
Is it so simple to have played the US Open, and then a week later including travel back to France, to be prepared for the switch back to clay at another major?
How many injuries will that cause? How many players will be able to or want to play in both tournaments?
Likely it will be an either or sitiuation and fields will be split, or tanking will be in full view, and temptation to use PEDs, magic potions, whatever, to cope will be greater than ever..

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: The Federest

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
ATP (8)
  • St. Petersburg Open (September 21 to September 27)
  • Moselle Open (September 21 to September 27)
  • Laver Cup (September 25 to September 27)
  • Chengdu Open (September 28 to October 4)
  • Hujain Securities Zuhai Championships (September 28 to October 4)
  • Sofia Open (September 28 to October 4)

• China Open (October 5 to October 11)
  • Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships (October 5 to October 11)
Shocking that Laver Cup shows such huge disrespect toward St. Petersburg Open and Moselle Open!

·
Your visions will happen
49,953 Posts
And that is from the tournament point of view. What about the players? What say do they have?
Is it so simple to have played the US Open, and then a week later including travel back to France, to be prepared for the switch back to clay at another major?
How many injuries will that cause? How many players will be able to or want to play in both tournaments?
Likely it will be an either or sitiuation and fields will be split, or tanking will be in full view, and temptation to use PEDs, magic potions, whatever, to cope will be greater than ever..

Respectfully,
masterclass
Wimbledon was played 2 weeks after RG for eons, I think RG new dates are possible especially if the USO moves back as I suspect

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Roland Garros made a bold move. They didn't dilly dally around and ask approval and permissions. They grabbed the bull by the horns and named their dates, on their terms. How anybody can be upset with this is being overly sensitive.

Embrace the alpha male moves made here by Roland Garros. Stop crying like babies. Laver Cup is an unfortunate sacrifice victim of this media virus disaster.

·
Your visions will happen
49,953 Posts
If everyone compromises, many things are possible.

If everybody acts unilaterally, many things will be broken.
Easy to say when other slams have the advantage of time. RG had no time. They knew they had to reschedule or cancel. They made the move like SuperG said, now the rest can follow suit. Wimbledon I think can move a few weeks back but no more than that weather wise but Boris Johnson's moves almost surely seal the cancellation of Wimbledon this year. Olympics I also think are done this year unless they move it back to the fall.

Best case scenario is the tour resumes in US HC swing and USO as scheduled, RG has their new dates, Olympics goes to the fall, but Wimbledon is cancelled. This is all best case scenario, worst case scenario is everything is done for the year

Roland Garros made a bold move. They didn't dilly dally around and ask approval and permissions. They grabbed the bull by the horns and named their dates, on their terms. How anybody can be upset with this is being overly sensitive.

Embrace the alpha male moves made here by Roland Garros. Stop crying like babies. Laver Cup is an unfortunate sacrifice victim of this media virus disaster.
Federer can put Laver Cup anytime he wants. RG has 130 years of history. LC has been around for 5 minutes

·
|
15,485 Posts
Even the Australian Open is more valuable than Laver Cup! Heck even the Miami Masters is, or Dubai etc.
They are real tournaments.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts