Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
10,271 Posts
After nearly 7 years holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, freedom fighter and Wikileaks founder has finally been arrested in London:

https://au.yahoo.com/news/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-british-police-100901728.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737

Don't think anyone saw this coming, and the standoff would go on for several more years.
Guess not. Interested to see how the world will deal with this man.

He has done a lot of good and bad, being a hero and a villan.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Guess not. Interested to see how the world will deal with this man.

He has done a lot of good and bad, being a hero and a villan.
you basically answered what I was I going to ask, whether he is viewed as a villain or a hero. Initially I heard a lot of praise for what he and Wikileaks were doing, but now, I hear mostly negative views. But that's from my social circle, so it's going to be very distorted.

·
RAVE ON
18,420 Posts
The first time I saw Assange I had the same feeling I had when I first saw Cosby and Joran the serial killer.
Creepy-crawly skin!

Back when Assange was riding high and thought in his narcissism that he was untouchable, he claimed that his aim was to bring down the US.
Now he is brought down. I hope he gets a long sentence.

Hilarious that Trump spent his campaign praising Wikileaks and asking for ever more emails to be provided by the Russia/Wikileaks alliance, but today says he knows nothing about Wikileaks.

Yesterday Barr willingly threw himself under the bus. Today Trump threw Assange under the bus. You would think after all his praise for Wikileaks, a pardon might be on the horizon. But Trump has no more need for Assange, so under he goes.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Of course Trump plays Pontius Pilate. And I clearly remember Assange was also a hero for Hannity, so let's see.

I never liked Assange as a person, he loves being the center of attention and clearly enjoys his celebrity status and imagined importance. And he clearly enjoys his mischief of any kind, it is a psychological thing in my opinion. On the other hand, I don't have a single reason to side with the US government in this matter. I always like when any secrets about any politicians or political matters are revealed. I follow Wikileaks from time to time.

If Assange had revealed some dirt on Trump that would have buried Trump completely, he would be revered as a saint by the Dems, they would probably proclaim him the best journalist in history. :D Or am I wrong?

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
I never liked Assange as a person, he loves being the center of attention and clearly enjoys his celebrity status and imagined importance. And he clearly enjoys his mischief of any kind, it is a psychological thing in my opinion.
That's true but it's not a crime.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That's true but it's not a crime.
No. But making public sensitive info is, so he will face charges and let's see how it ends.

I am not a judge...all I'm saying is I really like when government secrets are revealed. Whether it is good or bad for the world and humanity, I am not quite sure, I can't see the bigger picture.

I can say that I enjoyed when some info about our local geniuses here came out through Wikileaks diplomatic cables. Whether it made anything good overall, or improved the situation here - decidedly no.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
No. But making public sensitive info is, so he will face charges and let's see how it ends.
No, it's not, that's why they're trying to accuse him of helping Manning to hack the system. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true, but I doubt they have proof. They can manufacture proof if needed, though.

I am not a judge...all I'm saying is I really like when government secrets are revealed. Whether it is good or bad for the world and humanity, I am not quite sure, I can't see the bigger picture.

I can say that I enjoyed when some info about our local geniuses here came out through Wikileaks diplomatic cables. Whether it made anything good overall, or improved the situation here - decidedly no.
Without the MSM manipulating the opinions of the people and the governments being able to silence these people, it would probably be better. How much better? Maybe not much as the problem is not on the individuals but on the socioeconomic system who leads the individuals into criminal practices.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The Statue of Liberty should be replaced with Pamela Anderson's statue. :wink2:

Pamela Anderson lashed out against President Trump, Britain and “Equador” on Thursday following the arrest of her close pal Julian Assange.

The “Baywatch” star said she was “in shock” after watching video of the WikiLeaks founder being dragged out of the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

“He looks very bad. How could you Equador ? (Because he exposed you),” Anderson tweeted. “How could you UK. ? Of course – you are America’s bitch and you need a diversion from your idiotic Brexit bulls–t.”

She railed in another tweet, “And the USA ? This toxic coward of a President He needs to rally his base? – You are selfish and cruel. You have taken the entire world backwards. You are devils and liars and thieves. And you will ROTT And WE WILL RISE.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/11/pamela-anderson-flips-out-over-julian-assange-arrest/?fbclid=IwAR2fT1bs0jjZg6TUP8cMe73q6p0f6g74h9YDJisYKlk_g46ABSAq77WfFzc

·
RAVE ON
18,420 Posts
The Statue of Liberty should be replaced with Pamela Anderson's statue. :wink2:

Pamela Anderson lashed out against President Trump, Britain and “Equador” on Thursday following the arrest of her close pal Julian Assange.

The “Baywatch” star said she was “in shock” after watching video of the WikiLeaks founder being dragged out of the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

“He looks very bad. How could you Equador ? (Because he exposed you),” Anderson tweeted. “How could you UK. ? Of course – you are America’s bitch and you need a diversion from your idiotic Brexit bulls–t.”

She railed in another tweet, “And the USA ? This toxic coward of a President He needs to rally his base? – You are selfish and cruel. You have taken the entire world backwards. You are devils and liars and thieves. And you will ROTT And WE WILL RISE.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/11/pamela-anderson-flips-out-over-julian-assange-arrest/?fbclid=IwAR2fT1bs0jjZg6TUP8cMe73q6p0f6g74h9YDJisYKlk_g46ABSAq77WfFzc
She does not seem to be aware that Assange and Trump are both narcissists, interested only in themselves.

But she, herself, is a nutcase, so..........and just like Trump, she can’t spell.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I don't think Assange will resist some deals offered to him . Some people will probably try to get him say things that would support their agenda . But still I would like to hear what he has to say. This all may take a while. He will have good lawyers that 99% of people could not afford. Unfortunately he doesn't really look like a man of principles to me, otherwise this would be a good opportunity to make some important points.

But he did help expose some questionable practices and people all around the world. He may be a sleazeball, but unlike Trump, Assange is not in formal position of great power. This is one thing that makes all difference in my book.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
It's surprising to me the lack of defense Assange receives from the Western media. You'd expect that a guy who has done a great deal exposing governments' secrets and fighting for state transparency in both internal and foreign affairs would be overwhelmengly supported by them. Instead, it's like they do not know what to make of him.

I get some of them still can't forgive him for exposing Clinton during the campaign.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
It's surprising to me the lack of defense Assange receives from the Western media. You'd expect that a guy who has done a great deal exposing governments' secrets and fighting for state transparency in both internal and foreign affairs would be overwhelmengly supported by them. Instead, it's like they do not know what to make of him.

I get some of them still can't forgive him for exposing Clinton during the campaign.
If you mean the US and British media, yes. It is because media are generally very partisan and political. And Assange made a lot of enemies on the right during Bush and lot of enemies on the left during Obama and especially in 2016. He may be supported by the US and the UK media to the extent the media are not politically biased. So fat chance. As for the public he will be supported to the extent most people care. And nowadays almost no one really cares. So this will all be buried. Just a passing piece of information in today's sea of irrelevant information and distraction. Also Russia will support him only to the extent he creates mess in the West, as always. And now his role in that respect is probably over. This is the way the story ends, not with a bang but with a whimper.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
This is a situation where there are no "good guys"

Julian Assange is a scumbag human being who has put many people's lives at risks before,but what he is charged with by Obama's DOJ is flimsy and walks a thin line btwn espionage and properwhistleblowing

·
RAVE ON
18,420 Posts
This is a situation where there are no "good guys"

Julian Assange is a scumbag human being who has put many people's lives at risks before,but what he is charged with by Obama's DOJ is flimsy and walks a thin line btwn espionage and properwhistleblowing
Obama’s DOJ?

·
RAVE ON
18,420 Posts

Assange’s driving force was his loathing of the West and of the US in particular, not his crusade for transparency everywhere in the world.
Why would anybody in the West want to defend the scumbag?

You might as well be surprised by the lack of criticism that comes from Russia.

Here is an anecdote from a Guardian reporter: Assange was asked over dinner about putting US secret communications online without removing the names of Afghans who fought the Taliban and had spoken to US diplomats. Assange replied, "they are informants, if they get killed, they deserve it."
And you wonder why the Western media does not praise his work enough? You would, I suppose.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I am not sure about the others, but sometimes I have a look at German media, and imo there is some difference between their overall attitude towards the story and for example the UK media attitude. I am talking about real media, not some fringe crazies. It is indeed hard to expect favorable treatment of Assange in the US media, for obvious reasons.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts