Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The winning difference? You can see it in his fiery eyes. No kidding. It's the mentality, it's belief, it's having a big pair when needed. He doesn't care that it is Novak, or Roger, or Rafa on the other side of the net. He is not intimidated. He knows on his day, he can beat them on the biggest stages.

He has gotten under their skin, made them curse, made them cry, even crippled beast Nadal with his Thor-hand. Healthy Delpo has simply taken their game apart when it mattered.

It's about putting yourself in the right position and coming through. There is no doubt in my mind that Juan would have won even more majors had he not been injured so much.

The 2010s, certainly past 2014, should have brought a slew of under 23 yr old slam winners to challenge the 80's born slam winners, but it didn't.
11 1980's born players captured 70 of the 81 majors from Jan 2000 - Jan 2020. 70's born players captured the remaining 11 up to 2004.
Unfortunately the 1990's young players have all lacked enough of key ingredients to win even a single major. It looks like Father Time and/or disease might be their only salvation.

WTF happened to the big, strapping stars of the future?

Questioningly,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If Del Po was less injured he would have constantly been a threat at the slams, a great player, amazing power with surprising court coverage.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Fed should have made him serve it out at 5-3 in the final set... he would have got nervous for sure... might have 0 slams...

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts

The winning difference? You can see it in his fiery eyes. No kidding. It's the mentality, it's belief, it's having a big pair when needed. He doesn't care that it is Novak, or Roger, or Rafa on the other side of the net. He is not intimidated. He knows on his day, he can beat them on the biggest stages.

He has gotten under their skin, made them curse, made them cry, even crippled beast Nadal with his Thor-hand. Healthy Delpo has simply taken their game apart when it mattered.

It's about putting yourself in the right position and coming through. There is no doubt in my mind that Juan would have won even more majors had he not been injured so much.

The 2010s, certainly past 2014, should have brought a slew of under 23 yr old slam winners to challenge the 80's born slam winners, but it didn't.
11 1980's born players captured 70 of the 81 majors from Jan 2000 - Jan 2020. 70's born players captured the remaining 11 up to 2004.
Unfortunately the 1990's young players have all lacked enough of key ingredients to win even a single major. It looks like Father Time and/or disease might be their only salvation.

WTF happened to the big, strapping stars of the future?

Questioningly,
masterclass
They were never good enough to begin with. None have the complete package of game and fitness and mental to take down the "old" gladiators.

But I am of the opinion it will be more of the norm. I don't believe male tennis players will peak 20-25 anymore. More and more evidence points to a prime of 25-35. I think Thiem is next in line, at age 26

Fed should have made him serve it out at 5-3 in the final set... he would have got nervous for sure... might have 0 slams...
Federer was already a beaten man after the 4th set. Closest he got was Delpo serving 5-6 15-30 in the 4th. If I recall, JMDP blasted 2 aces and then a big FH to make a TB

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I thought The Golden Era of tennis is 2004-2007.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
They were never good enough to begin with. None have the complete package of game and fitness and mental to take down the "old" gladiators.

But I am of the opinion it will be more of the norm. I don't believe male tennis players will peak 20-25 anymore. More and more evidence points to a prime of 25-35. I think Thiem is next in line, at age 26

Federer was already a beaten man after the 4th set. Closest he got was Delpo serving 5-6 15-30 in the 4th. If I recall, JMDP blasted 2 aces and then a big FH to make a TB
He served for the second set and should’ve taken it. Kept going to Delpo’s forehand for some reason.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Del Potro was always a contemporary of Nadal, Novak, and Murray—the four of them only separated by an age difference of two years. When DelPo won the USO, only Federer and arguably Nadal had established any sort of legendary status. It's a very different proposition for a 20-year-old looking at fellow players in his age group who had only recently begun contending for Slam titles, compared to the young players of today coming up against certified-ATGs/GOATs in Nadal and Djokovic who are charging forward with history in their sights. Yes, the players now are worse but Delpo never had to be intimidated precisely because he was playing his peers.

I also disagree that players no longer peak between 20-25. Federer did, for starters. Also, I find it hard to believe that several of the "Next-Gen" players aren't currently experiencing their physical prime or Slam-winning windows. In the preceding generation, Diva, Raonic, and Nishikori have all left their physical prime and none of them are even past 30. For example, Diva's Slam-winning window occurred from when he was 22-26 and has already ended. Just because players like Agassi + the Big 3 experienced unprecedented longevity, along with rare late bloomers like Wawrinka, doesn't mean everyone will suddenly follow the same path and it's become the new norm. Thiem is 26 (if he wins this year's USO he will be 27) but his Slam-winning window already started two or three years ago. For all we know, he won't play past 30 because of a debilitating injury. Zverev's Slam-winning window also began like 3 years ago. It's fascinating and hilarious that people think these players who have been winning Masters titles and making Slam Fs for years are simply awaiting a miraculous physical peak that will occur late into their careers. That line of thinking sure worked out well for Raonic, Nishikori, and Diva.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The Hall of Fame will have to rethink their rules for entering , or make this notable exception given what happened these last 15 years . The magnitude of winning even one USOpen during this period just got inmense beyond belief. besides that feat what Juan did all through these years vs this Big 4+Wawa (davis cup, olympics, master series, slams etc) is Greatness in itself in the History of the Sport, in which a very high spot is secured . A Context outlook surely depicts him rivalring and even topping all of the 1 - 2 slam winners from the past . Delpo is in hands down , even more for standing up every chance after fall (to injury) , for which he came back and became a giant each time ! they (HOF) should duly notice all this, the obvious .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts