Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Juan Martin del Potro Back Hitting Backhands

Four months after undergoing wrist surgery, Juan Martin del Potro is back hitting backhands. The Argentine has posted numerous videos on social media of himself on the practice court since undergoing left wrist surgery in March, but his most recent update is quite encouraging. In previous updates, Del Potro has just been hitting one-handed backhands in an effort to protect his surgically-repaired left wrist.

Today, with his surgeon looking on, he began hitting the shot using two.
"I have great news to share! Four months after the surgery, I hit my first few backhands and my doctor Richard Berger was there," the Argentine said on Facebook. "I'm looking forward to playing pain-free again as soon as possible. Thanks for your support!"

Following his US Open title in 2009, Del Potro had a similar operation on his right wrist in 2010 and missed eight months. - See more at: http://www.tennisnow.com/Blogs/NET-POSTS/July-2014/Video-Juan-Martin-del-Potro-Back-Hitting-Backhand.aspx#sthash.8YYxo8IZ.dpuf
Well he may barely make the US Open, we shall see.

Would still make 100% sense if he did not play for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Well, I wish him well and really hope that he'll make it to the USO but there are there are too many contradictory stories all over the net about his situation. He is supposed to be playing both Canada and Cinci but everything is still in the air.

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I wish him well and really hope that he'll make it to the USO but there are there are too many contradictory stories all over the net about his situation. He is supposed to be playing both Canada and Cinci but everything is still in the air.
There is no fucking way.

At least if the Argentinian had some brain cells.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Its very sad to see what happened to Delpotro in his prime.
He missed a part of his prime.
I hope he comes back win a slam, may be next year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Its very sad to see what happened to Delpotro in his prime.
He missed a part of his prime.
I hope he comes back win a slam, may be next year.
That's why it's probably a blessing that he didn't gain a lot of points during the tail-end of last summer. He's not going to fall outside the top 400 like he did in 2010. When he comes back in September, he'll probably be just outside the top 20. He'll probably have a tough time defending his fall points from last year, but he'll get some matches in. It will make it easier for him to get back to the top 10 next year, with hardly any points to defend and the fact that he won't have to qualify to get into tournaments.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
If i was him i would shut down till AO15. There is no upside in returning too early.

But its always good to see Del Potro back on court...

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I hope he only plays a tournament when he is 100% ready rather than rushing into it and exacerbating the injury. So sad how injuries have derailed his career :(

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If Delpotro comes back healthy and Murray raises his game a bit we could finally have some real depth at the top of men's tennis again with the emergence of some of the youngish players.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If i was him i would shut down till AO15. There is no upside in returning too early.

But its always good to see Del Potro back on court...
That's why he's not returning to play until late September. I don't know where all this crap about him playing the USO came about. That was never possible. But he is recovering ahead of schedule. And if he can hit his BHs without pain by September, he very well should come back and get match play. He's won't win a title, most likely, but he'll be able to gauge his fitness and see what's missing and correct it for 2015.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Trying to play the US Open (or even the Masters) would be the silliest thing to do. He should be back in a minor tournament and playing also doubles first. I think he'll be back at Kuala Lumpar, as it was noticed in this article (in Spanish).

http://www.continental.com.ar/noticias/deportes/juan-martin-del-potro-ya-le-pega-de-reves-y-se-ilusiona-con-volver-en-septiembre/20140724/nota/2337464.aspx
He was NEVER going to play the US Open. He's scheduled to come back in late September in Kuala Lumpur. He set that date right after his post-surgery visit to Dr. Berger, I believe. It shows how far ahead of schedule his recovery his. I don't think he'd ever risk coming back too early. If he did, all he'd have is a repeat of the off and on wrist pain that he'd been going through since late summer 2012.

I love Del Potro but he needs to be patient and not rush the comeback.
How is he rushing? He's ahead of schedule on his recovery and he's not playing until late September. He'll be fine.

·
Your visions will happen
47,118 Posts
Really hope he waits until after the USO to come back

1 - 20 of 27 Posts