def. Coelho 6-4 6-2
def. G. Jones 6-2 6-2

Quarterfinal
def. Ebden 6-3 6-4

Semifinal
def. Klein 6-4 6-3

Final
def. Feeney 6-3 4-6 6-3 6-4

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11499&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=3673

Sirianni wins wildcard play-off

Melbourne Park, 21 December 2007

Christina Wheeler and Joseph Sirianni both won wildcards into the Australian Open main draw in the play-off finals at Melbourne Park today.

Wheeler dominated until the final stages of her match, winning 6-0 6-4 over 16-year-old Olivia Rogowska.

The best-of-five men’s play-off final, between Victorian Joseph Sirianni and Adam Feeney from New South Wales, commenced on the outside courts, but after a rain interruption, was moved inside to Rod Laver Arena.

Under hot and humid conditions, Sirianni held off a determined Feeney, eventually winning 6-3 4-6 6-3 6-4.

“I’m really stoked. This is the best Christmas present I’ve ever had,” said an elated Sirianni.

“I’ve been runner-up three times in the wildcard play-off, and you have no idea, I can’t describe how good it feels to have finally won.

“If I was to draw one of the top players, I’d just get out there and really enjoy it. It would be something I could one day tell my kids or my grandkids, that I’d played a Federer or Nadal in the Australian Open,” said Sirianni.

This will be Sirianni’s fourth Australian Open appearance. His best result saw him post a first-round win over Belarussian Max Mirnyi in 2003.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The weather conditions today were abysmal, in the morning it was scorching hot dry heat, afternoon it was insanely humid, sticky and hot, and early evening was a torrential downpour that flooded out alot of the Eastern suburbs.

Glad it was them playing tennis today and not me.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Well looks like we have a deserved winner.
But at what cost?

One permanent retirement (Philippousis)
Two injured (Alun Jones and Nathan Healey)
and one medical leave of absence on the grounds of insanity (Lindahl)

I feel particularly sorry for Alun Jones -- he probably needed to rest. Hopefully he can still recover and get a WC.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Congrats to big Joe, very good bloke as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think that they should re-intoduce the points race on the Australian Pro Circuit...that way someone like Sirianni wouldn't have had to play this, and could've been resting up :shrug:

·
Registered
387 Posts
The weather conditions today were abysmal, in the morning it was scorching hot dry heat, afternoon it was insanely humid, sticky and hot, and early evening was a torrential downpour that flooded out alot of the Eastern suburbs.

Glad it was them playing tennis today and not me.
I'm from the eastern suburbs and the rain has been absolutely disaster :help:

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Joes also in the Adelaide draw with top seekds Alun Jones and Robert Smeets in which whom he has beaten both recently goodluck to him there

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Australia is a multicultural country
right, I just mentioned the fact that many Poles has something in common with sports there (Molik, Adamczak, Luczak, some other guys, now Rogowska and Michael Klim in swimming)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
right, I just mentioned the fact that many Poles has something in common with sports there (Molik, Adamczak, Luczak, some other guys, now Rogowska and Michael Klim in swimming)
dont be blunt please explain what ur trying to say lol although i think its already clear

ZOMGZ AUSTRALIA IZ TAKING OUR POWLEASH PEOPLZ ZOMGZ STOPZ QUICK WE WILL HAVE NO PLAYERZZZZZ

etc etc etc etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts