Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this clip, aired in Sweden prior to the start of the Stockholm Open, the discussion touches upon the so-called "clown era" toward the end of the it. First, at around 10:45, Maria Strandlund-Tomsvik says (freely translated from Swedish): "The competition is so much tougher now than a few years ago. It's become more professional." The moderator then asks Björkman: "Jonas, how do you perceive this difference - being a top player back then as opposed to now?" Björkman replies: "There's a big difference. It could sound strange... I'm ranked maybe around 55th today and I'm a much, much... MUCH better tennis player today than I was in 1997 when I was ranked 4th. This is because the tennis has evolved so much."

Don't even bother responding - we all already know the answer: Björkman is a mug! Yeah, right! :retard:

·
29,767 Posts
So Björkman feels he's a much better player, yet is ranked some fifty places lower, because the quality is lower? Yeah, makes sense to me too!:silly: :rolleyes:
I don't think he's better now, he was better in 1997 when he played Rusedski in New York.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think he's better now, he was better in 1997 when he played Rusedski in New York.
I don't remember his 1997 level clearly enough to judge that (I was just 12 back then), but surely, he has no reason saying he's better now if that is not the case? I mean, what's in it for him? Why would he lie about that?

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Anyone who has watched the game over the past 20 years would agree with Jonas. The athleticism of the players has improved so much it's unbelieveable. Watch tennis from the mid 80's--one good FH and the point was practically over on non-clay surfaces. Now, a player can hit 3 or 4 huge FH's and still lose the point because of the athletic level of the players. This is just one tiny part of the whole but it's just an illustration. Agassi has also said more or less what Jonas says and his career spanned through many generations of greats.

·
29,767 Posts
I don't remember his 1997 level clearly enough to judge that (I was just 12 back then), but surely, he has no reason saying he's better now if that is not the case? I mean, what's in it for him? Why would he lie about that?
When the likes of Boredo make it to 5 in the world you know this is a clown era.

Federer is not being tested and pisses through every non-clay tourney he plays in. Players with the games to bother him choke.

CLOWN ERA.

·
Premium Member
25,471 Posts
Oh... oh! The retard who has never presented anything close to a logical argument (and fails to do so yet again) calls me a mug! Oh! I care so much! :sad: Seriously, present an argument or shut the fuck up, fangirl. :smash:
I save my good arguments for intelligent people not for mugs like you. :D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone who has watched the game over the past 20 years would agree with Jonas. The athleticism of the players has improved so much it's unbelieveable. Watch tennis from the mid 80's--one good FH and the point was practically over on non-clay surfaces. Now, a player can hit 3 or 4 huge FH's and still lose the point because of the athletic level of the players. This is just one tiny part of the whole but it's just an illustration. Agassi has also said more or less what Jonas says and his career spanned through many generations of greats.
If you say he's right, that's good enough for me. I'd rather trust your judgement on this than anyone else's on MTF, seeing as I cannot really judge for myself (unless I go through a rediculous amount of nineties matches now, which I don't have the time to do). So if this should be so obvious, why are we hearing these "clown era" allegations? Is it only because there are few multiple slam winners? One would think people should realize this is a practical impossibility if two guys devide them all up between themselves...

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
Is "mug" the new word used to close down any argument without needing to actually debate the issue using logic?

It's already old....

·
Your visions will happen
53,648 Posts
When the likes of Boredo make it to 5 in the world you know this is a clown era.

Federer is not being tested and pisses through every non-clay tourney he plays in. Players with the games to bother him choke.

CLOWN ERA.
This isnt about who is ranked where and how easy Federer strolls through tourneys.

This is about the overall improvement in the game from then compared to now. NYC illustrated how much stronger, athletic and more physical the game has become.

For example. Rod Laver was 5'8. Could he have done all he did at such at height nowadays?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Wimbledon final looked high quality to me.
I don't think this group is mentally tough, after the top 3. You have the same winners of every major year after year.
That never happened in mens tennis.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

CLOWN ERA.
Sadly, I still see no logical argument there. Brad Gilbert made it to 4 in the world, I think (too lazy to check), and his game was nowhere near as good as Robredo's from what I've seen.

·
Registered
35,682 Posts
Oh... oh! The retard who has never presented anything close to a logical argument (and fails to do so yet again) calls me a mug! Oh! I care so much! :sad: Seriously, present an argument or shut the fuck up, fangirl. :smash:
:worship:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
NYC has it all correct. And to pose a question--how many people in this forum actually play tennis that they have the ability to call anyone in the top 100 a clown? Record yourself playing and it will be a humbling experience, I guarantee you. You can self rate yourself all you want but play a pro--hell, even play a national 16 and under champion and you will be served up a bagel. Even though we can say Donald Young sucks until our lips go dry, he is still an extremely good player.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts