Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joke revealed after the match thet he recently had oral surgery and was still on medication. This made it hard for him to move on court and play effectively. If that was the case he should NEVER have played Paris and messed up the draw the way he did. Their are players fighting for Shanghai and it hurt them when a high seed either tanks or gives away points to another player. It's strange how this just came out, but with him you never know.

·
Gugaholic
84,778 Posts
He had two wisdom teeth removed, not foot surgery.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/10/31/tennis.paris/index.html?section=cnn_latest

If he was only feeling 30% fit, then he probably shouldn't have played.

WTH is he doing scheduling dental work between two Masters Series events anyway?
I removed my first 2 wisdom teeth and I could go shopping right afterward with no pain killer. When I removed my last wisdom tooth just before Christmas, I was the most miserable person of the world over 2 weeks.

You just never know. :shrug:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too much trick or treating with his Batman Costume.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is obvious he should not play in Paris but given the terms of the bonus pool requiring top players to show up it is understandable that he did.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I removed my first 2 wisdom teeth and I could go shopping right afterward with no pain killer. When I removed my last wisdom tooth just before Christmas, I was the most miserable person of the world over 2 weeks.

You just never know. :shrug:
yep - this kind of surgery can have very varying effects. You just don't know how it's going to work out.

But in the end... if Djoko didn't feel up to the job, He. Should. Not. Have. Played! :mad:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is obvious he should not play in Paris but given the terms of the bonus pool requiring top players to show up it is understandable that he did.
Or he could respect the integrity of the sport, not collect his bonus (as he has made a fortune this year and should do so in the future) and withdraw in order to prepare for the Masters. Or hold of on getting wisdom teeth pulled or not use as a reason for losing and suck it up.

·
RAVE ON
20,144 Posts
Joke revealed after the match thet he recently had oral surgery and was still on medication. This made it hard for him to move on court and play effectively. If that was the case he should NEVER have played Paris and messed up the draw the way he did. Their are players fighting for Shanghai and it hurt them when a high seed either tanks or gives away points to another player. It's strange how this just came out, but with him you never know.
Santoro has a bad knee. Should he have withdrawn?

I think you are just pissed, because you wanted Djokovic to take out Murray and help Blake. Get over it.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
He should've scheduled the surgery after the season is over. Of course, I'm not sure he has enough sense to do that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow! Shock defeat and surgery. Djoko might be the real number one ...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
So why did he play?? Stupid decision :shrug:

Other player could get a seeding and then everything would have changed in the race..

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
It's possible that the wisdom tooth surgery was not scheduled, that something happened to him and it needed to be done right away.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It's possible that the wisdom tooth surgery was not scheduled, that something happened to him and it needed to be done right away.
Exactly. I had my wisdom tooth removed few months ago, and it came out of nowhere. One day it was fine, the next my head was swollen and inflated, and I had to take antibiotics for a week before it had reduced back to normal, because you cannot have a surgery done otherwise (it might cause an infection cause it's connected with sinuses). The whole thing can end up really tricky and painful if you don't treat it with proper care.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
He had two wisdom teeth removed, not foot surgery.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/10/31/tennis.paris/index.html?section=cnn_latest

If he was only feeling 30% fit, then he probably shouldn't have played.

WTH is he doing scheduling dental work between two Masters Series events anyway?
I like Djoko, but I have to say, as a dentist am I, that if you had oral surgery recently you cannot do any type of exercise in at least one week, much more considering he is doing a professional sport, because he is concurring in risk of having different grades of hemorrhage. Simply he might had to withdraw from Paris if he was intervened. Plus, I suppose he's on antibiotic therapy. Very irresponsible from him :rolleyes:

I imagine (for his age) that Djoko had actually a third molar's acute pericoronitis (It occurs when a wisdom tooth, usually mandibular ones, has failed to erupt completely through the gum bed, allowing bacteria into an open space around the tooth, causing infection), if I were his doctor I had to indicate pharmological treatment with antibiotics and painkillers and pospose the surgery after the TMC, but I suppose that the pain was huge and (Nole) decides to have the surgery as soon as possible. Neither of what I described justified of why the hell he played there :eek:

Reactions: Clara Bow

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
You knew something had to be up, with him losing like this on a HC.
and with fabrice you don't know what will happen,do you?:wavey:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
as much as I like Djoko, and as a dentist as I am, I have to say that you had oral surgery recently you cannot do any type of exercise in at least one week, much more considering he is doing a professional sport because he is concurring in risk of having different grades of hemorrhage. Simply he had to withdraw from Paris if he was intervened, plus I suppose he's on antibiotic therapy. Very irresponsible from him :rolleyes:

I imagine (for his age) that Djoko had actually a third molar's acute pericoronitis, if I were his doctor I had to indicate pharmological treatment with antibiotics and painkillers and pospose the surgery after the TMC, but I suppose that the pain was huge and decides to do the surgery as soon as possible. Neither of what I described justified of why the hell he played there :eek:
Thanks for your informed professional opinion. :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
A $500 000 bonus puts a huge pressure on him to play. If he'd had the emergency surgery and felt as well as could be expected afterwards, I can see how he would be tempted to play on, more-or-less sleepwalking through the match.

Also, if he thought there was a possibility he could have won, even being below par, the 15 points would have been tempting, to keep in touch with Nadal.

He may have reasoned that he doesn't play tennis with his teeth, and not thought he was risking much, but also not have been dreadfully upset at losing, given the recent dental surgery.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts